• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you believe in God? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
idnt pol pot legitimately attempt to exterminate every self defining buddhist in cambodia

how isnt that not killing in the name of atheism

were religious people not severely mistreated in communist states
budhists are atheists

and most atrocities commited under communism were not religiously motivated

the confederacy was not bad at all they would have ended slavery anyway eventually ( just minus the whatever few hundred thousand americans killed in the process, not that the civil war had anything to do with slavery) and most regular confederates didnt give a fuck about slavery and didnt own slaves anyway
I read somewhere that with the money spent on the war by north, they could have bought every slave and given them each an acre of land or something idk

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
idk if you can call buddhism atheist, lots of hindu gods are venerated in buddhism, they're just seen as flawed, and the bodhisattvas are basically deities.

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
As far as I am aware communists beat down on religious folk because the religious institutions were seen as a threat to their power, not because of some atheistic imperative

Garygaz

HSC
the only thing which i question about sciences explanation of the big bang is quantum physics (and not question in a way that makes me grab for faith - nononoon). pre-big bang, pre-everything there would be nothing - just empty space. apparently empty space has weight, and as such quarks often shift into and out of our dimension (or something along these lines, was watching the lecture 'the whole universe from nothing'). and generally, the physicist was saying that the presumption that there is 'nothing' means there has to be something, which i naturally detest. it's almost as if he is presupposing that quarks in quantum physics do not 'count' as something and their existence need not be explained.

probably something i'd understand more if i read some more.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
As far as I am aware communists beat down on religious folk because the religious institutions were seen as a threat to their power, not because of some atheistic imperative
tbh Communist suppression of religion is far more than just power politics. One of the axioms of the Marxist-Leninist religion is the blank-slate nature of mankind. Religion corrupts these blank slates, and also inhibits and distorts class consciousness. Although Marx was nowhere near as vehement as his followers in this regard, he certainly laid the foundations.

tl;dr Communist suppression of religion is quite the opposite of an atheist imperative, it can be considered a religious imperative.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
the only thing which i question about sciences explanation of the big bang is quantum physics (and not question in a way that makes me grab for faith - nononoon). pre-big bang, pre-everything there would be nothing - just empty space. apparently empty space has weight, and as such quarks often shift into and out of our dimension (or something along these lines, was watching the lecture 'the whole universe from nothing'). and generally, the physicist was saying that the presumption that there is 'nothing' means there has to be something, which i naturally detest. it's almost as if he is presupposing that quarks in quantum physics do not 'count' as something and their existence need not be explained.

probably something i'd understand more if i read some more.
By 'nothing' physicists mean that there was no matter prior to the big bang, only energy and the energy concentrating at a single point caused the big bang and quarks was one of the first matter formed.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
idk if you can call buddhism atheist, lots of hindu gods are venerated in buddhism, they're just seen as flawed, and the bodhisattvas are basically deities.
Buddhists can be atheists or not.
Some sects do not believe in god/s, particularly not a creator god, as the religion is aimed to simplify oneself and not to burden oneself with thoughts that cannot result in the obtaining of nirvana or some shit.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
the only thing which i question about sciences explanation of the big bang is quantum physics (and not question in a way that makes me grab for faith - nononoon). pre-big bang, pre-everything there would be nothing - just empty space. apparently empty space has weight, and as such quarks often shift into and out of our dimension (or something along these lines, was watching the lecture 'the whole universe from nothing'). and generally, the physicist was saying that the presumption that there is 'nothing' means there has to be something, which i naturally detest. it's almost as if he is presupposing that quarks in quantum physics do not 'count' as something and their existence need not be explained. probably something i'd understand more if i read some more.
There are theories that explain this by saying that the universe will reach a point where it begins to retract due to gravity and refocuses into the point where the big bang came from and the process will start again, but that theory doesn't really explain how it started though. :/

Garygaz

HSC
By 'nothing' physicists mean that there was no matter prior to the big bang, only energy and the energy concentrating at a single point caused the big bang and quarks was one of the first matter formed.
yes so essentially it isn't actually 'nothing'. i'm just curious as to whether it is the assumption that energy has existed infinitely. does that not pose a philosophical problem?

Garygaz

HSC
i love infinite, such a fucked up concept. i remember him talking about the idea that there are infinite universes. it would mean that even if there was only 0.000000000000000000001% chance of life existing on a planet(earth) and a further 0.000000000000000001^-10000% chance that all events have led up to you to be sitting in front of your computer at this exact moment, with world history exactly as it is, it has already happened infinite times before and will happen infinite times in the future, simultaneously. there would be infinite versions of you right now doing the exact same thing.

lsakdfnsduiofaskldadmas;l

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
yeah but buddhists are universally cunts

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah but buddhists are universally cunts
Pretty much.
The monks are sometimes nice, the ones that don't talk that is. Because you can imagine them saying nice shit when they nod or point or whatever.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i love infinite, such a fucked up concept. i remember him talking about the idea that there are infinite universes. it would mean that even if there was only 0.000000000000000000001% chance of life existing on a planet(earth) and a further 0.000000000000000001^-10000% chance that all events have led up to you to be sitting in front of your computer at this exact moment, with world history exactly as it is, it has already happened infinite times before and will happen infinite times in the future, simultaneously. there would be infinite versions of you right now doing the exact same thing.

lsakdfnsduiofaskldadmas;l
This depends entirely on how you define the universe for example if we are to take "the universe is defined as everything that exists" (Wikipedia), then the notion of infinite universes doesn't make sense, because that means the multiple universes are exclusive of each other and therefore no single one of them contains "everything" because there are things in other universes it does not contain.

Garygaz

HSC
i believe he was referring to the existence of this universe in reference to the big bang which created it, i.e. as it is expanding, the tip of the expansion is where the universe ends and 'the nothingness of space' begins. and assuming space is infinite, there could well be other big bangs and other universes infinitely far away from us.

yongwong

HSC
This is my personal belief so please do not attack me...I'm not trying to preach or anything, just what I honestly believe.

For me, I honestly acknowledge that the Bible isn't perfect. There are tons of contradictions that doesn't really solidify what the true nature of Christianity is, as is argued in detail by many here. I think of it in this way. The Bible was written by different people over hundreds and thousands of years. But the thing is, each person who wrote it was writing for the people of their context, unaware that sometime in the future, people will have found evidence that negates the teachings in the Bible. For things like, God creating the world in 7 days, I ask, is a day in God's life equivalent to a day in our lives? Many people seem to take the Bible literally and applying it into their modern context which I think is wrong because to be honest, the Bible wasn't written for us. It was written to early Jewish communities who later sprouted the Christian faction when Jesus came along. Saying that the elements of violence such as stoning reflect a violent, cruel, murdering God is not (I don't think anyway...) really an argument because in that context, that was how capital punishment was handed out. Many tend to be anachronistic when arguing the validity of the events in the Bible...

So that's how I justify my belief, along with the fact that the whole concept of "faith" is believing in something without material proof (which I know many will say that that is stupid and I lack common sense). I'm not a scientist. I don't know the chemical details of the Big Bang except that there was a big "bang" and nothing became everything. Nor am I a theologian so my explanation of my belief is certainly not something that will answer all the questions of the question of a divine being. But, for simple old me, my explanation is enough for me as it probably is for other Christians and their way of justifying it. I'm not saying that what we say is the absolute truth, it's just what we believe and we are entitled to that belief.

Okay so that's the end of my contribution to the original question/debate raised. The following is just an observation from reading all of your comments...

Now, although this discussion is very interesting (enough to make me waste my morning reading through this when my HSC starts next Tuesday), I think that both sides need to consider to agree to disagree. Resorting to racism, useless swearing and insulting eachother's intelligence doesn't really do much for your argument. This is beyond the question of religion. Whether or not you are religious or a non-believer, I think the common decency to be respectful to other people is seriously lacking in this forum... Many of you (not all of you of course...plenty of people aren't doing this) are also being really excessive on the stereotyping. "All religious followers are stupid and lack logic and reason" "All priests rape children" "All Christians are crazy, evangelical extremists who in the bat of an eye, will try to convert you and scream in your face YOU'LL GO TO HELL IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE RIGHT NOW!!"

Honestly...it's like saying that "All Germans are nazis" and "Americans are all stupid"...

I also find it hypocritical when non-believers complain about how the religious traditions are repressing them from their own freedom of speech through how they dominate society etc etc...yet...by attacking people who say they believe in God and treating them with derision and pitying them and thinking "Poor you...another victim of religious brainwashing", you are doing the exact same thing. Its like how women were treated horribly over thousands of years but ever since the feminist movement, women are standing up for themselves (which i think is great. I'm a girl) but this also now entails males being discriminated against in favour of the women.

LonelyWolf

HSC
For me, I honestly acknowledge that the Bible isn't perfect. There are tons of contradictions that doesn't really solidify what the true nature of Christianity is, as is argued in detail by many here. I think of it in this way. The Bible was written by different people over hundreds and thousands of years. But the thing is, each person who wrote it was writing for the people of their context, unaware that sometime in the future, people will have found evidence that negates the teachings in the Bible. For things like, God creating the world in 7 days, I ask, is a day in God's life equivalent to a day in our lives? Many people seem to take the Bible literally and applying it into their modern context which I think is wrong because to be honest, the Bible wasn't written for us. It was written to early Jewish communities who later sprouted the Christian faction when Jesus came along. Saying that the elements of violence such as stoning reflect a violent, cruel, murdering God is not (I don't think anyway...) really an argument because in that context, that was how capital punishment was handed out. Many tend to be anachronistic when arguing the validity of the events in the Bible...
Good point. So, the Bible has no credibility and use as a major part of Christianity?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I once saw a documentary and this budhist woman was looking after a severely retarded boy

and the interview said something like "oh, what a poor child"

and the woman said "No, he did something in a former life to deserve this."

HelenaJean

HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

nope, i avoid religion like the plague.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)