Do women want it just as much? (1 Viewer)

Jeee

Banned
HSC
does external sexual imagery have a greater impacts on male minds?
Yes.
Would you rather fantasise about a nun with her skirt hitched up to her ankles, or Jessica Alba in a swimsuit? It does not need any inner-deep thought, honestly.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Rape has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with power.

jmakowiak

HSC
Jeee said:
Would you rather fantasise about a nun with her skirt hitched up to her ankles, or Jessica Alba in a swimsuit? It does not need any inner-deep thought, honestly.
Would you rather fantasise about a 40-year old man, or some guy from the twilight series? Why do males want sex more from the exual imagery presented to them than girls with sexual imagery presented to them? what makes this distinct?

Chelsea Girl said:
Rape has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with power.
Agree and disagree - if the world had more sexual imagery of men designed for women, I don't think the rape count would be nearly as high as it is.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Would you rather fantasise about a 40-year old man, or some guy from the twilight series? Why do males want sex more from the exual imagery presented to them than girls with sexual imagery presented to them? what makes this distinct?
40 year old man. At least he exists and does not supposedly sparkle eerily in the sunlight.
Well, perhaps it is the level of emotional intelligence? Women have higher levels of EI and they score higher than men on measures of empathy and social responsibilty :raises eyebrow: (?)
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Look, I am adamant that the reason remains based on the idea of hormonal differences, and natural libido and cravings. Women are naturally programmed to be less sexually driven, with some exceptions of course.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Hence explaining why sexual imagery stimulates men moreso than women. Women do not have the equivalent drive.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Agree and disagree - if the world had more sexual imagery of men designed for women, I don't think the rape count would be nearly as high as it is.
Wait. What? Explain this quote. You're saying that if there was sexualised imagery of men all over the place, men wouldn't feel the need to rape women?

I'm sorry, what kind of logic is that?

Also, in regards to the original thread question, generalisations will get you nowhere. Men may typically have a higher sex drive but remember that men also reach their sexual peak earlier than women - i.e. nowish for you guys I believe. Give your peers about 10-15 years.

jmakowiak

HSC
Tulipa said:
Wait. What? Explain this quote. You're saying that if there was sexualised imagery of men all over the place, men wouldn't feel the need to rape women?

I'm sorry, what kind of logic is that?

Also, in regards to the original thread question, generalisations will get you nowhere. Men may typically have a higher sex drive but remember that men also reach their sexual peak earlier than women - i.e. nowish for you guys I believe. Give your peers about 10-15 years.
I'm saying that, in conjunction with what my entire argument has been based upon, if the sexual imagery influencing men was equivocal to that influencing women, the rape count would be lower as male sex drives would be convincingly lower. I'm saying that men would feel rape is less necessary as sex is less necessary - lesser desire for sex leading to a fall in sexual crime.

And I didn't know men reached their peaks earlier, but now do. Thanks :D

Jeee said:
40 year old man. At least he exists and does not supposedly sparkle eerily in the sunlight.
True. Bad example.

Jeee said:
Look, I am adamant that the reason remains based on the idea of hormonal differences, and natural libido and cravings. Women are naturally programmed to be less sexually driven, with some exceptions of course.
I'm basically disagreeing with the fact that you think hormonal differences and bodily chemistry explains it entirely. You're saying that society has no impact at all on the sex drives of men and women, just that the drives react proportionately according to natural chemistry. Are you saying that if the majority of sexual imagery was aimed at women, the drives would still result in the same consequence?

Last edited:

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A

um, no. that is just entirely incorrect.

by saying that you are suggesting that some rapes come about simply because the male is sexually aroused while the woman is not.

again, sex has nothing to do with sexual pleasure or sexual thoughts and everything to do with domination and asserting power. there would be fewer instances of rape if the macho culture could be curbed and the idea of aggression = masculinity dealt with.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
I'm basically disagreeing with the fact that you think hormonal differences and bodily chemistry explains it entirely. You're saying that society has no impact at all on the sex drives of men and women - an argument which is open to one hell of a lot of scrutiny.
I never said it was based on it entirely. It is the basis of your theory/speculations/whatever though.
Strip any sort of 'civilised' and 'modernised' society, leave man and woman alone, and man would most probably make the first 'proposition' as the majority of males possess these urges merely by nature.

jmakowiak

HSC
chelsea girl said:
by saying that you are suggesting that some rapes come about simply because the male is sexually aroused while the woman is not.

again, sex has nothing to do with sexual pleasure or sexual thoughts and everything to do with domination and asserting power. there would be fewer instances of rape if the macho culture could be curbed and the idea of aggression = masculinity dealt with.
You're kidding - are you attempting to try and convince me that there are no rapes where the man/men want/s it and the woman does not? That, i'm pretty sure, is the motive behind almost, um, EVERY rape in the world.

And as for power being the major factor, that's just a secular aspect of society I think you're going into - the occasional gang rape or two. Men don't force sex out of women in assertion of their power more so than they do for the sexual experience.

Rapists don't pick on people to show everyone how aggressive they can be - they want sex.

Jeee said:
I never said it was based on it entirely. It is the basis of your theory/speculations/whatever though.
Strip any sort of 'civilised' and 'modernised' society, leave man and woman alone, and man would most probably make the first 'proposition' as the majority of males possess these urges merely by nature.
Don't bring in any tautological bullshit. I'm talking about men and women within societies where sex is all around us, and the natural instincts and chemical bonds you speak of are only one factor among many externalities.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
You're kidding - are you attempting to try and convince me that there are no rapes where the man/men want/s it and the woman does not? That, i'm pretty sure, is the motive behind almost, um, EVERY rape in the world.

And as for power being the major factor, that's just a secular aspect of society I think you're going into - the occasional gang rape or two. Men don't force sex out of women in assertion of their power more so than they do for the sexual experience.

Rapists don't pick on people to show everyone how aggressive they can be - they want sex.
face. palm.

That's not the point kid. A rapist wants sex (obviously, thus the crime itself is committed) but the motivation behind it isn't purely because he's aroused and she is not. Also, that last sentence is blatantly incorrect and a gross generalisation.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Study Suggests Difference Between Female And Male Sexuality
Study Suggests Difference Between Female And Male Sexuality

ScienceDaily (June 13, 2003) — EVANSTON, Ill. --- Three decades of research on men's sexual arousal show patterns that clearly track sexual orientation -- gay men overwhelmingly become sexually aroused by images of men and heterosexual men by images of women. In other words, men's sexual arousal patterns seem obvious.

But a new Northwestern University study boosts the relatively limited research on women's sexuality with a surprisingly different finding regarding women's sexual arousal.
In contrast to men, both heterosexual and lesbian women tend to become sexually aroused by both male and female erotica, and, thus, have a bisexual arousal pattern.

"These findings likely represent a fundamental difference between men's and women's brains and have important implications for understanding how sexual orientation development differs between men and women," said J. Michael Bailey, professor and chair of psychology at Northwestern and senior researcher of the study "A Sex Difference in the Specificity of Sexual Arousal." The study is forthcoming in the journal Psychological Science.

Bailey's main research focus has been on the genetics and environment of sexual orientation, and he is one of the principal investigators of a widely cited study that concludes that genes influence male homosexuality.

As in many areas of sexuality, research on women's sexual arousal patterns has lagged far behind men's, but the scant research on the subject does hint that, compared with men, women's sexual arousal patterns may be less tightly connected to their sexual orientation.

The Northwestern study strongly suggests this is true. The Northwestern researchers measured the psychological and physiological sexual arousal in homosexual and heterosexual men and women as they watched erotic films.

There were three types of erotic films: those featuring only men, those featuring only women and those featuring male and female couples. As with previous research, the researchers found that men responded consistent with their sexual orientations. In contrast, both homosexual and heterosexual women showed a bisexual pattern of psychological as well as genital arousal.

That is, heterosexual women were just as sexually aroused by watching female stimuli as by watching male stimuli, even though they prefer having sex with men rather than women.

"In fact, the large majority of women in contemporary Western societies have sex exclusively with men," said Meredith Chivers, a Ph.D. candidate in clinical psychology at Northwestern University, a psychology intern at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and the study's first author.
"But I have long suspected that women's sexuality is very different from men's, and this study scientifically demonstrates one way this is so."

The study's results mesh with current research showing that women's sexuality demonstrates increased flexibility relative to men in other areas besides sexual orientation, according to Chivers.

"Taken together, these results suggest that women's sexuality differs from men and emphasize the need for researchers to develop a model of the development and organization of female sexuality independent from models of male sexuality," she said.

The study's four authors include Bailey and three graduate students in Northwestern's psychology department, Chivers, Gerulf Rieger and Elizabeth Latty.

"Since most women seem capable of sexual arousal to both sexes, why do they choose one or the other?" Bailey asked. "Probably for reasons other than sexual arousal."

Sexual arousal is the emotional and physical response to sexual stimuli, including erotica or actual people. It has been known since the early 1960s that homosexual and heterosexual men respond in specific but opposite ways to sexual stimuli depicting men and women. Films provoke the greatest sexual response, and films of men having sex with men or of women having sex with women provoke the largest differences between homosexual and heterosexual men. That is because the same-sex films offer clear-cut results, whereas watching heterosexual sex could be exciting to both homosexual and heterosexual men, but for different reasons.

Typically, men experience genital arousal and psychological sexual arousal when they watch films depicting their preferred sex, but not when they watch films depicting the other sex. Men's specific pattern of sexual arousal is such a reliable fact that genital arousal can be used to assess men's sexual preferences. Even gay men who deny their own homosexuality will become more sexually aroused by male sexual stimuli than by female stimuli.

"The fact that women's sexual arousal patterns are not all predicted by their sexual orientations suggests that men's and women's minds and brains are very different," Bailey said.

To rule out the possibility that the differences between men's and women's genital sexual arousal patterns might be due to the different ways that genital arousal is measured in men and women, the Northwestern researchers identified a subset of subjects: postoperative transsexuals who began life as men but had surgery to construct artificial vaginas.

In a sense, those transsexuals have the brains of men but the genitals of women. Their psychological and genital arousal patterns matched those of men -- those who like men were more aroused by male stimuli and those who like women were more aroused by the female stimuli -- even though their genital arousal was measured in the same way women's was.

"This shows that the sex difference that we found is real and almost certainly due to a sex difference in the brain," said Bailey.

so in actuality women have a broader spectrum of things that ignite sexual arousal than men do.

jmakowiak

HSC
Tulipa said:
face. palm.

That's not the point kid. A rapist wants sex (obviously, thus the crime itself is committed) but the motivation behind it isn't purely because he's aroused and she is not. Also, that last sentence is blatantly incorrect and a gross generalisation.
To what, then, do you attribute the motivation of a rapist in committing their crime? Surely you can't say assertion of power - to say that would be saying they do it because they can, which, i'll wager, is not as often the case as because they want to.

Given, my last sentence was a serious generalisation - apologies.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A

NO. YOU ARE 100% INCORRECT.

Do some research into the psychological aspects of rape. It is a power-play. Sex is merely the result. Men who rape women have a very similar mindset to men who beat women; their issues just manifest in slightly different ways.

Again, it has nothing to do with sexual pleasure.

Go and rent out the documentary 'Raw Deal' and perhaps you'll have a clearer idea of the psychology behind rape.

Nobody is going to rape someone just because they want sexual pleasure. They will masturbate if that is their aim and thy cannot get immediate sex. The desire to rape is unnatural.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
To what, then, do you attribute the motivation of a rapist in committing their crime? Surely you can't say assertion of power - to say that would be saying they do it because they can, which, i'll wager, is not as often the case as because they want to.

Given, my last sentence was a serious generalisation - apologies.
Sure, it's not the best source but it's the simplest:

Wikipedia said:
There is no single theory that conclusively explains the motivation for rape; the motives of rapists can be multi-factorial and are the subject of debate. Researchers have attempted to explain the motivation of a rapist in terms of anger, power, sadism, and sexual gratification. Some argue that the capacity or propensity to rape is adaptive in the sense that historically, men with genes which increase their propensity to rape may have had more children, furthering the spread of those genes.

The research on convicted rapists has found several important motivational factors in the sexual aggression of males. Those motivational factors repeatedly implicated are having anger at women and having the need to control or dominate them. In one study, it was found that rapists had less empathy toward women who had been sexually assaulted by an unknown assailant and more hostility toward women than nonsex offenders and nonoffender males/females.
Also, I'm not insinuating that it's an either or in terms of "because they can or because they want to". Instead, it's a combination of the two.

That being said, this is probably a topic for another thread. There are many floating around the boards.

And Zoe, that article confirms a lot of what I've always thought :p

C

copkiller

Do some research into the psychological aspects of rape. It is a power-play. Sex is merely the result. Men who rape women have a very similar mindset to men who beat women; their issues just manifest in slightly different ways.

Go and rent out the documentary 'Raw Deal' and perhaps you'll have a clearer idea of the psychology behind rape.

Nobody is going to rape someone just because they want sexual pleasure. They will masturbate if that is their aim and thy cannot get immediate sex. The desire to rape is unnatural.
Well he isn't 100% incorrect. Just 90%.

What you have just said is mostly correct, but people commit rape for all different reasons, and in some cases the reason is sexual pleasure.

jmakowiak

HSC
chelsea said:

I partially agree - but not to the notion that this is the psychology underlying EVERY rape. Some rape does come from the desire to have sex with another person. If you deny that, you're saying every single rape ever committed came about because of a desire for power domination over another, which isn't true.

copkiller said:
What you have just said is mostly correct, but people commit rape for all different reasons, and in some cases the reason is sexual pleasure.
Thankyou - I was simply arguing with the idea that all rape is predicated upon power.

Tulipa said:
That being said, this is probably a topic for another thread.
Perhaps. :p

Last edited:

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
I'm sorry, but I strongly believe that in any case of rape (and by the way, I am not including the grey-area "rape" where the girl is drunk and later regrets it) there is an underlying desire for power and dominance which is the motivation behind it. Sex is the product, and I think the reasons why sex is a common way for males to assert the power they crave is far more of an issue to do with societal shaping and expectations of gender and masculinity than sexual arousal.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Don't bring in any tautological bullshit. I'm talking about men and women within societies where sex is all around us, and the natural instincts and chemical bonds you speak of are only one factor among many externalities.
They are ONE factor, but the INTEGRAL factor, you narrow-minded moron. Strip away hormones, stimulation and urges, and you have nothing!

You are the one who is bloviating.
"interwebz, plz tell me y men r hornyah thn chiks/z. coz of pics aye?"

SEXUAL IMAGERY SIMULATES REALITY. THE REALITY OF SEX BRINGS UPON AROUSAL. AROUSAL NORMALLY DIFFERS FOR MEN AND WOMEN, HENCE ANSWERING YOUR ZANY 'QUESTION'. THE FUNCTIONING OF THE HUMAN BODY COMES BEFORE WHAT AFFECTS OR MANIPULATES IT.

HSC
jmakawiow: you use big words and shit. but you have no idea what your talking about. way out of your depth. get a root first, then ask the question again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)