Do u cook in food tech? (1 Viewer)

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
God, our class must be behind...doesnt surprise me with the dickheads in there. But anyway we are just starting food manufacture i think. Whatever comes after AFI. Although i suppose, we did nutrition first.

Whats ya major project on? Nutrition..food manufacture..?

Ha ha we did cookis too, made 6 different types to see which was the healthiest, did this whole analysis thing on foodworks, etc. It was so crap.

babywhitto

we cook once a fortnight...and its just to improve our skills and just always has something to do with what we r studying...like last time we made like 5things out of milk coz we were talking bout milk.

hottie_mira

well we finally cooked last week, made choc chip cookies and had to show how we did it thru a flow chart process thing..i hate them!! wer nearly done food manufacture (thankgod) so gess we will start revision soon

tennille

HSC
mira2005 said:
well we finally cooked last week, made choc chip cookies and had to show how we did it thru a flow chart process thing..i hate them!! wer nearly done food manufacture (thankgod) so gess we will start revision soon
Wait till you get up to food product and development. So many things in that topic, especially when you have an assignment based on producing your own food product.

hottie_mira

Tennille said:
Wait till you get up to food product and development. So many things in that topic, especially when you have an assignment based on producing your own food product.
yepo, we are doin that now.. have to makle a preserve!! of all the damn things we culd make and were stuck with friggin pickles!!! grrrr...and we also gota make the labelling and stuff on the jar..which has to be abolutly correct to industry standards :( :( :(

slchand

HSC
Yes you do cook but not as much depending on the situation. They are mostly for experiments

scotty138

HSC
i thought this pretty much sums up HSC food technology:

Food Technology, application of physical, chemical, and biological sciences to food processing and preservation, and to the development of new and improved food products.

The food technologist is concerned with the composition, properties, and behaviour of food from the point of production through to its eating quality at the point of consumption. Food is a complex biological and chemical material. Food technology is a multidisciplinary science subject, involving chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, physics, process engineering, and industrial management. Food scientists and technologists are responsible for ensuring that food items produced are safe, nutritious, and of the quality and substance demanded by the consumer

And that is pretty much the premise the syllabus is based on. At my school we do cook about once a fortnight, mainly coz our teacher is old school (literally) - it is mainly to observe how the different food substances behave in certain cooking situations. Year 9 and 10 food is just a fun elective designed to teach people basic skills in food prep and nutrition. HSC food tech is a lot harder than people think and is very science based, and also a little bit business studies wit legislations and stuff. I love it! -> hospitality on the other hand builds cooking skills in the food service and catering arena

sarziii

HSC
yeah, my class does cook quite a bit, but that's mostly because we're such a small class (4 people) and it's easy just to grab some ingredients together

we did the most cooking to observe the effects of different nutrients and their effects.. things like protein coagulation/denaturation and that sort of thing. we've also done practicals for food presentation and things like that.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I did Food Tech in Year 10 and the high theory to practical ratio was enough to prevent me from studying the course later in Year 11, if it was available, because of Hospitality.

rinniez

HSC
at my school we cook once a week ... its ALWAYS healthy & most the time isnt very good tasting... but me & my cooking partner always add extra sugar & stuff so we end up with it tasting better then everyone elses lol... but yer if u want cooking skills try hospitality !

fiona.p

HSC
we cook!! but not much though...once a fortnight or so.

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
Around once a week. I didn't really see any point to it but free lunch is always nice.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
I do Food Tech by distant education so I cook at home whenever I need to or at least when I want to... but when I did Food Tech in Yr 9 and 10, I cooked twice one week and once the next . . . or whenever the teacher was prepared.
Really sucks not being able to cook at school and have something prepared for lunch like the good old days.

nareh

HSC
in year 9 & 10 its almost always about the cooking and the theory is BS .'

Year 11- gets harder dont cook as muchh. . becomes more about the science etcc. .

year 12- Hardly any cooking at all... More theory

but its really enjoyable :)

kara42

HSC
We only cook if we can find a way to relate it to what we're currently learning.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
with food manufacture there is full dot point that is related to cooking and preservation experiments so you should do some cooking for that and FPD you have to design a product etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)