• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

do schools past results matter (1 Viewer)

Pfortune35

HSC
Im currently in yr 10 and thinking about subjects for next year,
apparently my school doesnt do very well in physics or chemistry (no band 6's in either last year) , both subject i am considering.

Any advice as to whether or not i should let this be a factor in my desision.

I am aiming for a high atar (98+) and ill probs do 4u maths and eng adv

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Walk your own path to greatness, young one. If 4u, phys, chem are your interests do them :) There's always gotta be those first band sixes :)

enoilgam

HSC
I wouldnt worry about past results. At my school, we had a four year drought of band 6's in english, but some guy in our year ended up getting a band 6 for it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No - each cohort at each school is different and each year many schools move heaps in the rankings because they have stronger or weaker cohorts.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah ennilogam, oh ^this very much also. I've seen schools fluctuate 200 ranks from one year to the following :0

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
School rankings are completely inaccurate, after the first 50. The system assumes that a Band 6 in General Maths is equivalent to a Band 6 in Extension II...WTF? And the other league table that ranks schools based on % of Band 6s in English and Maths is also inaccurate. It's the Year 11 accelerants that push up the top schools...like mine. The Year 12s sitting the 2U HSC aren't very good, but nearly all the Year 11s get Band 6s, so it makes the school look better. If they bother ranking schools at all, they should rank by median ATAR, or the % who get 99+, not % of Band 6s.
That said, to the OP, the school that you go to doesn't make anything impossible, it just makes it more difficult to judge how well you are going to perform in the actual HSC. 98+ ATAR isn't easy, even with high scaling subjects, like Chem and Phys. If you think YOU can do well, and you'll enjoy the subject, do it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Schools past results don't matter at all. The 2010 cohort at my school was a wonder year - 9 Band 6s in all - which was absolutely fantastic considering the past three or four cohorts couldn't even accumulate nine all together...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)