• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do marks and gradings in Year 9 and more so Year 10 have any performance correlation? (1 Viewer)

Grinchey

HSC
I was just wondering, for those who have already achieved or are currently completing the HSC, is performance throughout Years 9 and 10 a reasonably accurate basis for expected future performances in HSC years? Is there anyone here that was say a 60-80% student in intermediate years and have achieved well with their ATAR?

Thanks.

enoilgam

HSC
Re: Do marks and gradings in Year 9 and more so Year 10 have any performance correlat

Yes and no, people usually come out of nowhere in the later years. However, I think putting in a degree of effort in Years 9 and 10 really does pay off in the later years. If you enter the senior years with established habits and methods then you are really putting yourself in a good position to succeed later on. Some people can just "turn it on" in the later years, but for many people they enter year 11 without much experience with study and it does catch up to them. A lot of people will disagree with this, but I think effort in the junior years is highly underrated - I definitely dont think I would have done as well without it.

When I say effort though, I'm not saying you should do anything extreme - just a bit of work can set you up well. It's good to have a gradual increase in workload when heading towards the HSC year (and by extension uni).

MrBeefJerky

HSC
Re: Do marks and gradings in Year 9 and more so Year 10 have any performance correlat

No, In year 11 you choose specific subjects such as Chemistry, Physics or Bio although a good understanding of the basics can be beneficial in senior years. I found the workload between year 10 and year 11 a big difference and it is best to have good study habits. As stated above, people start trying and come out of nowhere. For me I must say I regret not enjoying year 10 so enjoy it whilst you can but also ensure that you still grasp the concepts of what you are learning in class.

MissyL

HSC

To be concise, it does not affect your marks however it would affect your work ethic

R4diance

HSC

I don't think Year 9 and 10 does not have too much performance correlation due to MANY people slacking off (whether they be intelligent or not) and don't have the right work ethic yet, simply because these years don't count for your HSC or whatnot. That being said, don't follow such examples and work at your own pace, which will definitely pay off in the long run. I know some seniors who have really stepped it up from Year 11 and onwards too.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Yes and no, people usually come out of nowhere in the later years. However, I think putting in a degree of effort in Years 9 and 10 really does pay off in the later years. If you enter the senior years with established habits and methods then you are really putting yourself in a good position to succeed later on. Some people can just "turn it on" in the later years, but for many people they enter year 11 without much experience with study and it does catch up to them. A lot of people will disagree with this, but I think effort in the junior years is highly underrated - I definitely dont think I would have done as well without it.

When I say effort though, I'm not saying you should do anything extreme - just a bit of work can set you up well. It's good to have a gradual increase in workload when heading towards the HSC year (and by extension uni).
Basically this.

There's no real correlation with performance (or anything for that matter) besides work ethic. If you habitualise a solid working program then you will be used to study as it will need to be done in the senior years.

And as a sneaky side note, working well in Years 9 & 10 made me well-known to the teachers, which did me some benefits in the senior years ranking wise :haha:

It could do the same for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)