Do I really need advanced english to do law? (1 Viewer)

Georgehana

HSC
I was looking at the UWS requirements for their comm/law degree and they said that English Advanced is assumed knowledge. I'm doing standard and I'm coming first.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
No it isn't.

They are more or less just making sure you have a strong ability to comprehend and interpret written text (with the assumption being that former English Advanced students have done this in the past).

Georgehana

HSC
No it isn't.

They are more or less just making sure you have a strong ability to comprehend and interpret written text (with the assumption being that former English Advanced students have done this in the past).
Phew...so given that I meet the atar requirement, I could get into the course no problem?

micwes12

HSC
Yeah, assumed knowledge means that they assume you know it- they don't actually look at which subjects you did for HSC.

TheTurtle

HSC
Phew...so given that I meet the atar requirement, I could get into the course no problem?
As far as i know, no courses have pre-requisites anymore but the assumed knowledge tells you what level each student is expected to be at when they enter the degree.

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
most pre-requisite have a summer school course to fill in for it if youve missed it.

enoilgam

HSC
I was looking at the UWS requirements for their comm/law degree and they said that English Advanced is assumed knowledge. I'm doing standard and I'm coming first.
HSC english (standard and advanced) really wont help you that much with law (my first year law lecturers bagged HSC english). Humanities subjects (especially modern in my opinion) have far more in common with law in terms of skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)