Do employers care about what uni you go to and your wam? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm basically asking whether employers care about the uni you go to and your wam. I know that your wam has an affect but I know for a fact that unsw exams tend to be more difficult than other unis e.g. macquarie. Obviously higher difficulty exams mean lower wam and that's what I'm afraid will screw me over.

Thanks.

Confound

HSC
are you sure unsw exams are more difficult than macquarie's?

I transferred form macquarie to unsw and my wam at unsw is higher than what it was at macquarie in first year lol...

HSC
Yh I'm fairly sure because my mate transferred from macquarie to unsw and he says that he went from getting 85+ down to 60s lol.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
no direct answer, depends on a case by case basis tbh, much more bigger factors to consider

Confound

HSC
But how can you be fairly sure when there is evidence that the opposite can happen? i.e. in my case having a higher unsw wam than macquarie

I have found the unsw exams a lot easier and requiring less study. But then again it's only commerce. Your friend might have done engineering or something

Confound

HSC
Also to answer your question, most employers don't care about which uni you go to. But it is such a coincidence that every AC i've been to have been composed of at least 60-70% from unsw.

Whether they care about wam will depend on exactly what role you're applying for. 70 wam is good for like 95% of roles out there

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I'm basically asking whether employers care about the uni you go to and your wam. I know that your wam has an affect but I know for a fact that unsw exams tend to be more difficult than other unis e.g. macquarie. Obviously higher difficulty exams mean lower wam and that's what I'm afraid will screw me over.
Generally speaking, employers don't care about your university. There are some exceptions to this (MBB and IB), but most modern organisations are more interested in other areas of your CV. The reason this myth continues to remain is because most people who secure graduate roles are from prestige unis. However, this is mainly because prestige unis tend to attract stronger, more serious talent. For example, the ATAR cutoff for UNSW Commerce is around 95, compared to say 60 for Notre Dame. ATAR might not be the best predictor of future success, but it would be fair to argue that the cutoffs ensure that UNSW has a stronger cohort versus ND. Consequentially, UNSW students perform better than ND students by virtue of their ability alone, not the unis prestige. However, it should be noted that top organisations focus their recruitment efforts and campaigns at the prestige unis due to the stronger cohorts which also adds to the overrepresentation.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
If you think UNSW marks hard, you should feel about your usyd commerce or law people. Employers will be aware of this though.

Confound

HSC
If you think UNSW marks hard, you should feel about your usyd commerce or law people. Employers will be aware of this though.
Are you sure employers will actually care about the difficulty in marking between unsw and usyd? Did they tell you this?

arob259

HSC
N/A
pretty sure harder marking at certain unis is a complete myth. After all to retain accreditation they have to hold a certain standard.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally 70+ wams are to get your foot in for grad roles. Where you went to uni might help ypu fit into a team once you're there but imo has no bearing on your candidacy.

At my workplace I'm looking for people who are focused, switched on and have a work hard play hard attitude. This will show up in an interview or a conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)