distinction courses (1 Viewer)

deliberately

HSC
okay does anyone know what kind of marks you need to get into a distinction course? i know you need an accelerated course and i'm doing one (bio) but i'm really terrible and i'm expecting a mark in the 80s if i'm lucky.

one of my mates also wants to go for it, being dux and someone who got 100 in the hisy school cert (and all high band 6s, basically a genius) has a far better chance of getting in, but she says she knows someone who got 95 in their accelerated course and wasn't accepted. and she's doing all sciences and ext maths so she thinks she won't get well ranked marks in her other subjects. on the other hand, i'm doing both histories, english ext and art, if that counts for anything.

if i haven't confused anyone yet, all i'm asking is, what kind of mark do you need in a distinction course, and if yours isn't all that brilliant will you still be considered based on the marks you get in your other subjects?

...cuz otherwise i'm dropping bio on monday.

deliberately

HSC
they're courses which you can undertake in year 12, worth 2 units.

there's 3 courses:

- comparative literature
- philosophy
- cosmology

you need to have completed an acclerated course to apply, and classes are pretty small i think... i reckon only about 100 kids do them each year.

aeiss

HSC
I think it's band 6 + something from school
I tried for it last year (did SDD in year 10), and I got 89, band 5. Couple friends got 90, band 6, in.

And considering we did it in year 10, I don't really think our other marks would affect it, although they do ask you to submit your marks, to see if you're capable of handling the load of a distinction course, perhaps.

iirc, comp. lit. has like 5ish places, cos noone does it, philo 60ish and cosmo 30ish. so yeah, 100 sounds about right.

deliberately

HSC
hmmm... well after the bio half yearly today i think i'll be lucky to get in the 70s overall so guess that rules me out hahaha. ah well, can always do philosophy in uni... thanks for that.

bored of sc

HSC
Without Wings said:
Info about it available here:
http://www.distinction.nsw.edu.au/bwWebsite/
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/distinction_booklet_2003.pdf

Who can do a Distinction Course?
Exceptional students who have accelerated and completed, ahead of their cohort, all HSC course requirements in one subject area generally at the highest course level may be eligible to study a Distinction Course. Students will have completed the accelerated course prior to the year in which they intend to study a Distinction Course.

Students selected for Distinction Course study will be able to choose any one of the Distinction Courses, regardless of which HSC course was completed at the highest level the year before. There are no particular subject prerequisites for the Distinction Courses.

How are students selected?
A selection panel, comprising representatives of universities and the Office of the Board of Studies, conducts the selection process. The selection criteria include:
• completion of one HSC course at the highest course level a year ahead of the student’s cohort
• presentation for the Higher School Certificate examination in the year prior to the year in which the Distinction Course is to be taken
• outstanding achievement in the accelerated course at the HSC examination
• evidence of a pattern of high achievement in all courses studied
• support from the school principal
• school report indicating suitability to study a Distinction Course which includes an assessment of the student’s:
– specific academic strengths
– other strengths including creativity
– ability as a self-motivated independent learner
– research skills
– communication skills
– personal initiative and leadership skills
– relevant achievements within the school community
– relevant achievements in the wider community.

The process of selection includes:
• the Office of the Board of Studies, with the assistance of schools, identifies HSC accelerants as prospective Distinction Course students
• the Office of the Board, through the school principal, invites students to submit an Expression of Interest to undertake a Distinction Course
• students who submit an Expression of Interest are invited to attend an Information Day in Sydney with a view to assisting them in making decisions on courses of study for the following year
• students make formal application to the Office of the Board to undertake a preferred Distinction Course the following year
• the Selection Panel meets to consider applications
• the Office of the Board advises students of results of selection process.

Source: Board of Studies
damn, so you can't just be john smith off the street?? damn

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I never knew you had to accelerate in a subject in order to apply for a distinction course. I also never knew about the long selection process by the BOS and the universities. You learn something new everyday...

Sammi B

HSC
deliberately said:
okay does anyone know what kind of marks you need to get into a distinction course? i know you need an accelerated course and i'm doing one (bio) but i'm really terrible and i'm expecting a mark in the 80s if i'm lucky.

one of my mates also wants to go for it, being dux and someone who got 100 in the hisy school cert (and all high band 6s, basically a genius) has a far better chance of getting in, but she says she knows someone who got 95 in their accelerated course and wasn't accepted. and she's doing all sciences and ext maths so she thinks she won't get well ranked marks in her other subjects. on the other hand, i'm doing both histories, english ext and art, if that counts for anything.

if i haven't confused anyone yet, all i'm asking is, what kind of mark do you need in a distinction course, and if yours isn't all that brilliant will you still be considered based on the marks you get in your other subjects?

...cuz otherwise i'm dropping bio on monday.
hey i'm currently doing a philosophy distinction course thru UNE and i was accelerated in chemistry. I got 92 for chem, and there are 8 ppl from my school doing a distinction course. we all got between 85-92, so you have to get in the high 80s to 90s to get in. it really depends on each yr and how well your cohort of acc. students did (ie how well all accelerated students in 2008 did in ur case), as well as how many ppl apply. we were told our yr was one of the most difficult to get into for example, because so many applied and because last yr's accelerated students did particularly well. they are alot of hard work and u should be prepared for that but they r really interesting. which one r u considering?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Does anyone know how to apply? How much it costs & other extra costs that might be involved?

I am an accelerant student and I will have no issue of not being accelerant. And I also think that I have got fair chance of performing at high standards at my accelerated courses.

Do you need to have done Physics to do well in course like Cosmology? Or can anyone please tell me if there are assumed knowledge???

I will appreciate any help.​

dpospination

HSC
lyounamu said:
Does anyone know how to apply? How much it costs & other extra costs that might be involved?

I am an accelerant student and I will have no issue of not being accelerant. And I also think that I have got fair chance of performing at high standards at my accelerated courses.

Do you need to have done Physics to do well in course like Cosmology? Or can anyone please tell me if there are assumed knowledge???

I will appreciate any help.
Cosmology= heaps of maths. the fact that u r accelerating in 3 units of maths should be great, u should be right

Sammi B

HSC
lyounamu said:

I will appreciate any help.
There is no cost what so ever to u as it is fully subsidised by the board of studies. That includes the weekend residential stays, course material etc. You can even claim for travel expenses. Like someone else said, there are no prerequistes, so if u choose cosmology, they can only assume u have completed up to yr 10 maths standard and thats it. No physics, 4 unit maths etc. But it is alot of maths I've heard. With philosophy, they've started right from the very beginning with no assumed knowledge. Comp. Lit. is the same, no pre req. However, obviously u r at an advantage if u r very good at english, or with cosmo. if u r very good at maths or physics. With philo, good essay writing skills come in handy.

With applying, find a teacher, maybe a deputy principal or something, or someone in charge of admin stuff to ask. Someone that gets u to sign all that official stuff for the HSC applications is good.

Hope that helps...now i should go finish my philosophy essay.

:D Sam

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys. You are the nicest people that I have ever come across with. Well, since I got some help, I would like to get more help.

I read all the posts so far and I am now confident that I can do this course (and I really want to do this course). But I am still a bit worried about Physics even though it is not an assumed knowledge as Without Wings said. In Cosmology, I would start from scratch, right??? I am not expected to know anything apart from putting hard-work and everything, right?

I definitely understand that Physics would help but it wouldn't determine how good you are in the course, would it?

I am so sorry for all these questions. But I will really appreciate your help and comments. Thanks heaps, guys!!

Sammi B said:
There is no cost what so ever to u as it is fully subsidised by the board of studies. That includes the weekend residential stays, course material etc. You can even claim for travel expenses. Like someone else said, there are no prerequistes, so if u choose cosmology, they can only assume u have completed up to yr 10 maths standard and thats it. No physics, 4 unit maths etc. But it is alot of maths I've heard. With philosophy, they've started right from the very beginning with no assumed knowledge. Comp. Lit. is the same, no pre req. However, obviously u r at an advantage if u r very good at english, or with cosmo. if u r very good at maths or physics. With philo, good essay writing skills come in handy.

With applying, find a teacher, maybe a deputy principal or something, or someone in charge of admin stuff to ask. Someone that gets u to sign all that official stuff for the HSC applications is good.

Hope that helps...now i should go finish my philosophy essay.

:D Sam
You are doing Philosophy? That looks so fascinating. I am interested in that too even though I am leaning towards cosmology. I have got few questions to ask. What subjects would help (or helped) you in philosophy? Do you face any difficulty in it? I am just so curious. I am sorry to bother you but I would appreciate your answer.

P.S. Another question: how often do you have your course?

Without Wings said:
There are no prereqs.

Information regarding 2009 enrolments will be availabel on the distinction website I posted before (Distinction.nsw.edu.au). They also have info/faqs etc. Expressions of interest are taken around September.

How do I find out more about studying a Distinction Course?
Students who are eligible will be contacted by the Board, and invited to submit an Expression of Interest. It is probably sensible for students who think they may be interested in studying a Distinction Course to inform their school of their interest. If more information is required, students can write directly to the Board of Studies.
I actually went to that website and read some stuff but they were not clear and that's why I asked experienced bosers for help.

Thanks for that info, though. They help me heaps!

Anyone with extra info???

Last edited by a moderator:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Another question: How do you do the work, do you read one chapter of the required text and do an essay or assignment?
Or do you get little booklets that you must finnish one a week?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
-students must be accelerants who are presenting for the HSC examination in one or more courses at the highest level (usually 3 Unit) a year ahead of their cohort.

Does that mean you need to accelerate in 4U math?

bored of sc

HSC
Kurt.Physics - does your maths teacher really staple burger king applications to failed maths exams?? haha

bored of sc

HSC
foram said:
-students must be accelerants who are presenting for the HSC examination in one or more courses at the highest level (usually 3 Unit) a year ahead of their cohort.

Does that mean you need to accelerate in 4U math?
I don't exactly know hmmm... well it says usually 3U so I think 3U would be enough

what distinction course do you plan to do??

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Kurt.Physics - does your maths teacher really staple burger king applications to failed maths exams?? haha
None, just jok'n lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)