Distinction Course Discussion (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Who was there today?

I was late to the Information day and I guess everyone who attended that day would have noticed me....

On the other hand, I am glad to have met Derivative and xmrRandom in person.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i went, uhh where were u sitting???or do u have a photo of what u look like that u wud like to share.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
LOL - nice to meet you in person too Namu.

It was uber hard to see who was who - the nametags were too small.
If anyone's interested I was one of the asians in the blue blazers - I know - we actually wore uniform ><'.

HSC
I went too! I was the girl with the brother. SO embarrassed, but at least he was funny at times ;)
"...and is there such a thing as personal freedom?-" "WAD's DAT?" :lol:

anyways I met Tim, but I missed Namu, I agree the name tags were too small :)

--definitely doing cosmo! so excited ^^

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Elisa.the.Sweda said:
I went too! I was the girl with the brother. SO embarrassed, but at least he was funny at times ;)
"...and is there such a thing as personal freedom?-" "WAD's DAT?" :lol:

anyways I met Tim, but I missed Namu, I agree the name tags were too small :)

--definitely doing cosmo! so excited ^^
Hahahaha...I see

Then I know who you are. I had a feeling that it might have been you but never guessed it!

Are you guys serious though? I was like so late...

Anyone would have noticed me...

I was the guy with black strips and white strips(?) clothing and I wore very casually in general. And you wouldn't have missed my hair though. :jedi:

But don't confused me with random asians with long hair because mine hair wasn't like that...and I didn't wear school uniform. I just thought that my description above was similar to the one from penrith high school *trying to differentiate*

And I was also sitting at the graduation sitting spot...when I came in...(lol)

And I was also the guy who got out of the lecture latest to thank the david.

Tim, were you in school uniform? I didn't know there were any sydney boys...

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Elisa.the.Sweda said:
I did that too, without realising it! It was really awkward :D
Yeah, I had to stand up whenever graduates around me tried to move.

So did you apply yet?

HSC
lyounamu said:
So did you apply yet?
^^ I had my application all ready yesterday, signed by headmaster and everything... but then they were talking about teacher mentors and stapling other pages to the app and so now I'm not sure. My headmaster wrote his contact details under 'school contact'. So maybe he'll accept doing all the communication with the Board..? and I just stapled an entire school report to it just then. :)

Are you going to send it by mail or by fax? I don't want to trust mail, because I sent my notification of attendance to the people by mail like 4 weeks in advance, yet I didn't get a nametag :( but I don't have a fax. Maybe I'll use the school fax.
I'm just so scared of the application getting lost or something!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Elisa.the.Sweda said:
^^ I had my application all ready yesterday, signed by headmaster and everything... but then they were talking about teacher mentors and stapling other pages to the app and so now I'm not sure. My headmaster wrote his contact details under 'school contact'. So maybe he'll accept doing all the communication with the Board..? and I just stapled an entire school report to it just then. :)

Are you going to send it by mail or by fax? I don't want to trust mail, because I sent my notification of attendance to the people by mail like 4 weeks in advance, yet I didn't get a nametag :( but I don't have a fax. Maybe I'll use the school fax.
I'm just so scared of the application getting lost or something!
Yeah same. I am afraid that it might get lost.

Sending by fax would be the most efficient way but it has its own problem becauase it's difficult to send all the stuff in bulk.

So I will do is that, I will send the most important details such as reports via fax and other details about my extra curricula activity, behaviour and other stuff via mail.

But it really depends on my school and its own preferred method.

HSC
lyounamu said:
Sending by fax would be the most efficient way but it has its own problem becauase it's difficult to send all the stuff in bulk.
I agree, that's why I don't really like the faxing thing... getting a dozen A4's must be annoying at the receiving end; if they actually GET the mail, then that's alot neater, all stapled and stuff :)

lyounamu said:
So I will do is that, I will send the most important details such as reports via fax and other details about my extra curricula activity, behaviour and other stuff via mail.
I think you're overestimating the organisation of this office. How do you think they'll cope with getting the different sections of your app. in two different ways, at different times? I don't know, I feel distrustful about this. Maybe you can attach a note: 'hi board, part 2 is coming in the mail!'

Meh. Would it be weird to send it twice? By mail AND by fax?

They should have left us more time between the information day and the application due-date!! :cold:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Elisa.the.Sweda said:
I agree, that's why I don't really like the faxing thing... getting a dozen A4's must be annoying at the receiving end; if they actually GET the mail, then that's alot neater, all stapled and stuff :)

I think you're overestimating the organisation of this office. How do you think they'll cope with getting the different sections of your app. in two different ways, at different times? I don't know, I feel distrustful about this. Maybe you can attach a note: 'hi board, part 2 is coming in the mail!'

Meh. Would it be weird to send it twice? By mail AND by fax?

They should have left us more time between the information day and the application due-date!! :cold:
lol

well, yeah. I probably am. But I don't see how it is possible to fulfil both the requirement and feel safe at the same time.

And yeah, I also agree with the last comment. We should definitely get more time so that we can send all the stuff via mail first and confirm if they got the post or not.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
Hahahaha...I see

Then I know who you are. I had a feeling that it might have been you but never guessed it!

Are you guys serious though? I was like so late...

Anyone would have noticed me...

I was the guy with black strips and white strips(?) clothing and I wore very casually in general. And you wouldn't have missed my hair though. :jedi:

But don't confused me with random asians with long hair because mine hair wasn't like that...and I didn't wear school uniform. I just thought that my description above was similar to the one from penrith high school *trying to differentiate*

And I was also sitting at the graduation sitting spot...when I came in...(lol)

And I was also the guy who got out of the lecture latest to thank the david.

Tim, were you in school uniform? I didn't know there were any sydney boys...
i really dont remember much now, but no i wasn't in uniform...i guess we may see each other later...if i make it...

edit: yeah more time wud b good, especially since i'm on exams right now. but i think luckily my school takes care of the mailing/faxing whatever..so i'll just hand it in on monday or something

HSC
I'm actually thinking about both, now. I'll post my app & report today then back that up with a fax from school on Monday.

I honestly don't care if they get two copies and hence get confused; better that than no copies get through at all, right?

I'm sure I won't get in trouble for posting it twice, what's the worst that could happen? ;)

ps I assume you're still going for cosmo? I am..

SIKHMAN: no, not really :) Everything they said is in the information booklet anyway, you can download it. [I had an assessment task due too, a speech, but my school let me go to the information day anyway! Your school is mean ;) ]

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
sikhman said:
i wasn't able to get to the info day coz of an hsc assessment.....but is there anything vitally important i should know?

thanks for the help....
umm not really i dont think, did they say they'll call us on the 12/13/14th? of december, and forms due on the 28thh, thats about it

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
i wasn't able to get to the info day coz of an hsc assessment.....but is there anything vitally important i should know?

thanks for the help....
If you are thinking of doing a Philosophy Course, you wouldn't have got much out of the Information Day anyway. The lecturer was poor at explaining the Philosophy as a Distinction Course even though he was able to pass the message across what Philosphy is in general - bullshit.

On the other hand, David and Adam explained the topics that we are expected to learn and other important details such as timetable, residential house and etc.

Vitally important? Um...maybe some stuff about your application form? It is due 28th of November and yeah... you need to fill out contact number and email really well because they need that to contact you once you get in.

Other things to keep in mind are...CHOOSE THE DISTINCTION COURSE, it's basically the only couse that really is designed for the Gifted and Talented Students. There are so many benefits that come with it. For example, you learn how to write a decent scientific essay from Cosmology and even how to write basic sentences! In Philosphy, you learn how to bullshit! (jokes). I think you learn how to back up your claim with various sources of information such as Socrates's view on life, Dante, Aristotle's $%^&* theories.

Enjoy!

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
umm not really i dont think, did they say they'll call us on the 12/13/14th? of december, and forms due on the 28thh, thats about it
On the 12th I have a prize award ceremony for like 4 hours, I'm hoping they won't call me then!

Wouldn't that be great; you're up on the stage receiving some award and phone rings, and you're like "sorry, but I.... have to get that.."

the odds of that are pretty small I suppose, after that it's the w/e, all good

lyounamu said:
If you are thinking of doing a Philosophy Course, you wouldn't have got much out of the Information Day anyway. The lecturer was poor at explaining the Philosophy as a Distinction Course even though he was able to pass the message across what Philosphy is in general - bullshit.
I thoroughly disliked that little 'lesson' we had, I thought there were a whole heap of know-it-alls scattered around, they made it really unpleasant :( Can just imagine what the residentials would be like :pain: I don't think the lecturer liked it much either, he seemed a bit put-off.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Elisa.the.Sweda said:
On the 12th I have a prize award ceremony for like 4 hours, I'm hoping they won't call me then!

Wouldn't that be great; you're up on the stage receiving some award and phone rings, and you're like "sorry, but I.... have to get that.."

Just calculated the chance:

1/3 of getting a phone call on that day.

4 hours /24 = 1/6 BUT they are not likely to call from 6pm to 10am (because I don't think board works at that time. So it's more like 4/8 but your time of ceremony and calling time may overlap so it's more like 3/8

And chance of them getting the phone call right = depends on how well you write on application form, let's say it's 100%

And chance of you getting in = I will be generous, 100%

So your chance is = 3/8 x 1/3 = 1/8

But chance of my miscalculation = very high

So your chance of getting a phone call during your ceremony = between 0 and 1

LOL

HSC
lyounamu said:
Just calculated the chance:

1/3 of getting a phone call on that day.

4 hours /24 = 1/6 BUT they are not likely to call from 6pm to 10am (because I don't think board works at that time. So it's more like 4/8 but your time of ceremony and calling time may overlap so it's more like 3/8

And chance of them getting the phone call right = depends on how well you write on application form, let's say it's 100%

And chance of you getting in = I will be generous, 100%

So your chance is = 3/8 x 1/3 = 1/8

But chance of my miscalculation = very high

So your chance of getting a phone call during your ceremony = between 0 and 1

LOL
LOL! :lol:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Elisa.the.Sweda said:

I thoroughly disliked that little 'lesson' we had, I thought there were a whole heap of know-it-alls scattered around, they made it really unpleasant :( Can just imagine what the residentials would be like :pain: I don't think the lecturer liked it much either, he seemed a bit put-off.
Yeah, if you saw me during that heated "altercation", I was like watching the floor trying not to pay attention.

They should realise from the start that there is no answer to any philosophical ideas. Best you can do is to back it up with different sets of ideas from different philosophers (as I already mentioned e.g. socrates, dante) and make a judgement that suits different situation. Many people were just single-minded. I don't see how they will be able to cope with philosophy...

brain just goes :shoot:

But anyway, I don't like having too many answers anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)