disheartened by writer's showcase.. (1 Viewer)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Saul
just cause we're under alot of pressure, shitloads of other work to do, and are young, doesn't mean that our mediocre work should therefore be considered good.
by getting 50/50 does not mean that the students are the next Shakespeare. It just means that relatively speaking, they are the better ones outta of the lot. if the best one isn't brilliant on any level, then that speaks volume abt the overall standard.

Saul

*ss
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
by getting 50/50 does not mean that the students are the next Shakespeare. It just means that relatively speaking, they are the better ones outta of the lot. if the best one isn't brilliant on any level, then that speaks volume abt the overall standard.
i agree with you, most of the works that got full marks would be the better ones out of the lot. all i was saying before, is that we shouldn't hold the writers showcase in such high regard juss cause they got full marks.

many of the ones i read in the showcase were good, but by no means were they outstanding. i classify outstanding (in this course) as anything that could be considered publishable. all the short stories were obviously written by students, the only way i can see these works being considered to be the highest, is through the reflection statements, which i must admit, were all quite good.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by Saul
i agree with you, most of the works that got full marks would be the better ones out of the lot. all i was saying before, is that we shouldn't hold the writers showcase in such high regard juss cause they got full marks.

many of the ones i read in the showcase were good, but by no means were they outstanding. i classify outstanding (in this course) as anything that could be considered publishable. all the short stories were obviously written by students, the only way i can see these works being considered to be the highest, is through the reflection statements, which i must admit, were all quite good.
I agree. I actually thought the critical responses were much better than the poems and short stories. Although I loved the short story called Antism from last years showcase

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by Jethro G
id
have
to agree
with that

now. there is away
to cheat the
reflection state
ment. just got
to find
it.

hahahah

You seem to
be so profound

your

incredible wisdom
astounds
me

Hey..did I just rhyme? w00t!

Paisley

Banned
I agree... the stories were really, really obviously written by students... in that each sentence was either metaphored to death or steeped too deep in emotion...

Although, having said that, none of them were quite as woeful as Holly Goes Lightly from 2001... eugh...

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
If anyone is still reading this - I just want to make one small point clear. SOOOOO MANNNNYY stories, essays, videos and scripts get the 48, 49 and 50 that arent even considered for the showcase

The showcase is there to be sold as a book to showcase the post modern and the abstract ideas of that cohort, I know soo many ppl that write a conventional story with meaningful metaphor and great content that get 49 because you need to address the marking criteria.

A majority of the showcase dont get 50 only a handful - OF COURSE the rest still get 48 - 49 but none of them in there are the real 51's of the year. if thats such a tihng.

mad-triste

HSC
Well, remember that the English Extension 2 course asks that you build on what you've learnt in the base courses. - they want to see that students are able to manipulate style, content and concept as well as experiment and open new boudaries. Working within convention, they can't see that you're any good at tectual manipulation - you may as well just be imitating another writer.

That's why the YWS pieces are "out there" - because really, that's the aim of the thing: to create new ideas, new meanings. I mean, you can't expect someone taking Visual Arts who paints a series of very pretty pictures of flowers to earn fantastic marks, eh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)