disheartened by writer's showcase.. (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Of course!

But there are other students who get 50 who don't get into the showcase.

Don't think that just because this handful got in, it's impossible for you to get 50 :)

Jethro G

Ha ha ha! You dumb bastard! It's not a schooner...
seriously, they suck. there are glimmers of quality, but i mean thats what student writing is anyway... a glimmer of hope in a darkened tunnel of shite. quality is relative, and relating to middle age post-feminists, i.e. markers, is not necessarily quality.

if your work isnt something new, which i doubt any of the showcase is, or an interpretation or amalgamation, you wont get on that list, and probably not into band 4. that said, with the interpretative ones, the inspired structure has to be decided beforehand, otherwise its credibility is about as good as george bush's, and therefore does the refl. and work worse. so it mostly comes down to people coming up with lame ideas about stupid sentimental concepts, which, by being so focused on what they set out to do, loose all meaning and significance. that is why they are shet, but also why they do well.
and the reason that most people wont even get to write one of these pieces of garbage is because the majority of writers - especially kids- are too stubborn to see that what they are writing is exactly what theyve read somewhere else. i.e. not new.

also, their reflection statement does come into the 50/50. theyrs met the objectives completely...

if you think you wont do well because youre not post-modern, why dont you ask yourself, do you know what post-modernism is? and secondly, then why do think that stuff on the showcase is all post-modern?

Jinglebell

HSC
wow, someone's all happy and optimistic...certainly inspired confidence in me *ahem*...

disclaimer: ignore me if i sound bitchy. it's just been one of those weeks...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I was about to make a similar remark Jinglebell lol... it's been one those weeks here too!!!

Seems we have quite a pessimist amongst us!!! I don't think you can throw all student writing, or all writing, in to one basket like that! It's a rather sweeping generalization, and I don't think it really applies to most of the people doing extension 2 english.... most people are quite unique, or at least try to be.

I know that I have never read anything like my major work....

Saul

*ss
HSC
i think what jethro is trying to say, is that he's pissed off cause his video went to shit and he only started writing a couple of weeks back.

Jethro G

yes that may be true sally...

but i nearly beat you to the finish, and you had your idea set from the get go...

no-one ever made something genius by trying to be mediocre...
plenty have written mediocre in trying for genius

i am no pessimist... im happy with how things are shaping out, with me and friends' work. but i am a realist.... show me the poetry and creativity that flourishes in australia. do people here even know more than a couple of aussie poets? one, maybe?

i dunno.. i dun care either, but if thats what they're showcasing, itts incredibly bland... but i realise, having seen other entries that there are really good works put in... thats the glimmer im talking about... and if you take that as a percentage of people who are our age, it is indeed a very faint one.

good luck,

but if luck's what you need,
im afraid no-one can help you
in this subject

Jinglebell

HSC
*mopes back to major work* i feel so enthused and motivated now! :rolleyes:

although i think classifying stuff as bland could be a bit harsh...i'm sure much of the population would find my major work boring, but that doesn't mean i don't love the subject to bits. i didn't find anything that interested me on the showcase, but most people wonder why i'm voluntarily inflicting shakespeare upon myself, so i guess it's a matter of opinion...

Jethro G

opinion it definitely is. but what makes it good? surely |outstanding| should be able to stand up among its peers...

bland is just a matter of not meaning anything. its like an advertisement. you think, well that was clever or funny or well done, but you dont learn anything, other than the fact that - if you are concentrating - that they are trying to sell you something. in this case they're trying to sell, or buy rather, marks... granted, thats not all of them of course, but some ...

just how are you |voluntarily| inflicting shakespeare on yourself?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Australian poets that I know of

Dorathea McKeller
Banjo Patterson
Annette Koseris
Doug McCloud
Peter Skrzynecki (hehe)
Henry Lawson
Bruce Dawe
Gwen Harwood
C.J. Dennis

That's a few.... I know more.... just can't think right now.

Jethro G

ahem.

it |was| a silly question but you must realise you stand at a different perspective than most... 3 of those poets are alive today. - though i dont know annette koseris; youve named one more than i could... she probably is - and none are young... as in under 35...

the point isnt that aussie poets have been bad. its just that there are now so few notable ones, especially of a younger age

Last edited:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Jethro G, how do you view your MW? do you think it is *a glimmer of hope in a darkened tunnel of shite*, or perhaps it is too *bland* or simply a piece of *garbage* to see the the glimmer?

and in regards to not creating anything new, that is the nature of any *creation*. One does not create somehting entirely new, each 'new' work has threads of past messages, ideologies, intertextuality weaven into it. Hence an *invention* is not abt creating somehting entriley new - not to mention that it is impossible to do so - it is abt presenting perhaps a rendered concept that is influenced by previous works.

To put it simply, one does wake up and all of a sudden invents a LCD tv, the LCD tv is a result of a llong process with landmark developments, eg: the black and white tv in ths example. Hence, the proces of updating cancels any possibility of jumping from A to C, with the B part missing.

It is impossible to write somethign that is entirley new. And i guess that leaves us with the process of updating, and by your view; adaptation, transformation and apropriation are all just *garbage*.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i completely agree with what truly in bliss said.

and hell for those of us who ARE attempting something postmodern, trying to be 'new' is contradictory to our entire concept.

you're incredibly negative Jethro. i found many of the works in the young writers showcase absolutely outstanding given that they were the work of 17/18 year olds.

Jinglebell

HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
they were the work of 17/18 year olds.
and 17/18 year olds with a whole crapload of other work to do as well...it's not like we get a year to just devote ourselves to ext2, we have to keep up in other classes on top of it.

and i'm inflicting shakespeare upon myself by using his work as one of my main texts for my critical response. not that i'd have it any other way, it's just that people seem to think of it like that (and i have to admit that i have had odd moments of wondering too:))

Saul

*ss
HSC
just cause we're under alot of pressure, shitloads of other work to do, and are young, doesn't mean that our mediocre work should therefore be considered good.

Jethro G

an extremely valid point sol. doesnt mean that ext2 should not be done tho... without trying, without ambition.. well ill get to that...

its interesting you mention post-modernism again... indeed if you are |trying| to be post-modernistic in your writing then you should realise at least what this means... and it looks as tho you at least have an idea, but others dont... others think that if writing is all exploratory and deep then it is |postmodernistic| and like.. whoa.. totally over real life's head. consult a good english teacher about this if its how you feel.

also id like everyone to remember that deep does not mean lingually complex, deep is having some sort of meaning that is relatable and intuitive. the communication of it is as important, but that delivery can come in as many different forms of writing and style as there are modes which 4unit can be presented in. sauls children story is great, it makes you |feel|, and its just that: a children story, and it is not a philosophical discourse with big words like antidisestablishmentarianism. pls excuse, but - f*ck miranda devine -

by |new| of course i do not mean having no influences whatsoever. of course not, but so many people hand in predictable crime fiction stories - i use this example only because many are doing it because of ext.1, not because the stories are necessarily bad - stories which are basically lifted from the pretexts of the genre, with a hint of something else to give the pretense of difference. to me, that is what is not new. postmodernism does not mean this, it means to me, using references to formerly used styles, concepts, whatever to relate ideas that challenge how we view something. if you are writing a story that has elements of poe or chandler for no other reason than because it works, then you are not writing for the purposes of being post-modernistic.

to call me |negative| is funny, i guess. the glimmer of hope, is the tiny percentile of teenagers, and all the population consequently, that can write well, i believe. this is in part evidenced by the low enrolment in this course that everyone shits themselves about. some of these are really good, to me, in that they broaden my perspectives, captivate me and make me think. they are good to others for their own reasons... they are good, and that makes everyone happy, including me, the anti-christ that i am.

i was, however saying, that superficial overcoats do well because they are indicative of process, continual and established at the beginning of the course. they are also proof of learning and the growth of the work. markers like that. so, the ones that have this do well... a lot of them are shells that develop towards the inside from the out, and achieve nothing but exterior promotion. what is inside that music note poetry is very flaccid... and, apart from the fact that its a lot of work - dont i know it - to make a film, that supermarket one wasnt ambitious, the music thing wasnt ambitious... they didnt open up new horizons. not even the horizons of the amalgamation kind... thats why i think they were crap. there were some good ones if i can remember, but some of them made me scared that, like huck said, the system of valuation is F to the ucked. but we can see that system right now, cant we? bos website... right there... the fact that it is an outcomes course for me makes it ridiculously easy for anyone who can write reasonably well to do very |well| and also bore the hell out of |me|. im sorry if this is too negative for you... change my mind... write something daring and bold..
we are due for our next ern malley, haha, but i hope you/we all plan on thinking about what you/we say first...

"transformation is garbage"? hmm. no, i think not. because in transformation, there |is| something new. but regurgitation is not tasty. it makes me bilious...

haha, how do i feel about my major work?
again, its pretty funny that ive changed, |again|, and will proly pull off something decent at the last minute... hmm maybe i should start studying for trials now... but ive been writing poetry for a number of years now anyway, its not hard to write, but its hard to mean, and ive just to clarify some of that now, is what i feel about it. its bright for me, because i write what leads me in the dark... writing helps me see things differently... so yes, although some have caused me pain to write, i do like some of my work,

i mean, the reason i put my film aside for next year is because i didnt like what it would be by august 25... so...

do you like yours?

Last edited:

Jinglebell

HSC
i just have to defend the crime fiction writers out there...

i'd call myself a good writer. tell me what to write about and i'll give you a meaningful masterpiece that reads smoother than a baby's arse...sounds up myself, but i'm passionate about words, and i'm damn proud of my writing skills. the thing is, though, that i can't write a story for anything. if you give me a plot, i can run with it. but i haven't got an inspired bone in my body, i need a concrete idea to run with.

so, i couldn't even write a predictable crime fiction story...and i know a hell of a lot of other people who feel the same way. critical response was made for people like us, we just have to find something original to write 'facts' about. i think i've got a pretty creative and original critical response topic, but it was a fluke from a very boring beginning.

so really, anyone who make any sort of story work on any level is a hero to me..

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Saul
just cause we're under alot of pressure, shitloads of other work to do, and are young, doesn't mean that our mediocre work should therefore be considered good.
but that is my point- it isn't mediocre. it is outstanding, on TOP of all that. perhaps a personal opinion but i think you will find one that is shared by the majority of people who read the Young Writers Showcase.

Originally posted by Jethro G
its interesting you mention post-modernism again... indeed if you are |trying| to be post-modernistic in your writing then you should realise at least what this means... and it looks as tho you at least have some idea, but others dont, and others think that if you are all exploratory and deep that is |postmodernistic| and like.. whoa.. totally over real life's head. consult a good english teacher about this if its how you feel.
i am inclined to agree with you about the latter part of this paragraph.. but be wary of generalising.

also id like everyone to remember that deep is not lingually complex, deep is having some sort of meaning that is relateable and intuitive. the communication of it is as important, but that delivery can come in as many different forms of writing and style as there are modes which 4unit can be presented in.
i also agree with this. i hate extravagant convoluted garbage masquerading as 'deep' writing. however, i truly believe markers can identify people doing that and these 'deep' individuals do not recieve the mark they consider themselves deserving of.

...postmodernism does not mean this, it means to me, using references to formerly used styles, concepts, whatever to relate ideas that challenge how we view something. if you are writing a story that has elements of poe or chandler for no other reason than because it works, then you are not writing for the purposes of being post-modernistic.
i am glad that you recognise this. however i do believe that the common crime fiction stories you speak of are again, not rewarded outstanding marks.

i was, however saying, that superficial overcoats do well because they are indicative of process, continual and established at the beginning of the course. proof of learning and the growth of the work. markers like that. so the ones that have it do well... a lot of them are shells that work develop towards the inside

.... the system of valuation is F to the ucked. but we can see it right? bos website... right there... the fact that it is an outcomes course for me makes it ridiculously easy for anyone who can write reasonably well to do very |well| and also bore the hell out of |me|. im sorry if this is too negative for you... change my mind... write something daring and bold..
i COMPLETELY agree with this statement. there are a few people in my group at school who have been rewarded amazing marks for their internal assessments despite the -dare i say it- SHITTY quality of their work/concept. i have a strong dislike for the emphasis on progress, development, etc within the outcomes. fuck, tell that to Jack Kerouac who wrote a classic within the space of 2 weeks.
in this way i certainly agree with you.

but yeah, i dont think anything in the Young Writers Showcase is an example of this - if you think it is, point me in the direction of a particular example and i will check it out.

Jethro G

i havent read it, all, and i can remember even less... just didnt make an impression on me... the shit ones i feel: the impressionist preludes... ive seen the supermarket video... sorry forgot the name, and ive read some of the one about the girl emerging from her butterfly cocoon... um, there was one poetry one that was kinda good, but i dont really remember what it was about... nothing revolutionary, like i said... certain things emil knows all about have f*cked my memory, so im not able to recall all the works on there. i feel some of it was like seeing nice puns, that really dont affect you. i guess their not asking for genius.. whatever... the fact is they have a standard they are asking for. that f*cks it up.... maybe they should just focus on teaching kids how to recognise |goodness| in writing and then... try their own hand... or maybe the trick is not reading anyone elses, and seeing what your untainted mind can come up with...

seriously, word up to you for critical responses. if arywoon lived on their creativities, we'd be right screwed for say, eating, housing ourselves... not that you are condemned to being a builder or farmer, its just... what i find intolerable is bad work getting |perfect scores|.

i think i really should get to some study... gawd...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)