Disadvantaged by school? :C (1 Viewer)

Kanane

HSC
N/A
Okay, so for starters my school is ranked ~600 in NSW. Yes, I know, really bad... I know it doesn't affect my ATAR as long as I get good rankings in my classes, but I've realised that my school does not teach the topics in great detail, and are somewhat behind other schools, such as selective schools.

For example, I do Biology. We did not even learn about Punnett squares until nearing the end of Year 11, whereas other schools taught it in Year 10. Now I'm really scared that my ATAR won't be as good...

So will my school disadvantage my ATAR due to what they taught me?
Thanks...

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
probably
if you come first, your dumb classmates wont drag you down
but if your school just isnt teaching you properly then yes you will be disadvantaged

MrDimple

HSC
i goto a school ranked in the 600's and this year is such a great year, everyones put the effort in. Teachers are great sacrifice their afternoons for us to study and revise!

So as what others have said, learn on your own
get syllabus dot point. Read the textbook and treat the syllabus dot point as a question and answer it under it.

You will be fine mate.

anulik

HSC
My school is ranked around 600s, and I feel that it might affect my ATAR.
Firstly because science teachers are not good enough, secondly we dont study topics properly, we dont have good resources, just a few crappy books, there is not anybody who wants to study, so there is not any competition.
So, I have to teach myself in every subject...:(

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yeah just teach yourself. Students in schools ranked in the top 100 do that as well. In the end, it's the people who work hard who get the top ATAR's, so theoretically, your school rank shouldn't affect your ATAR. and remember that there are crap teachers everywhere!

if your school isn't teaching stuff properly, then get textbooks and see what u have missed out on. If u don't understand stuff, then post on the BOS or ask a tutor, friend or try and ask your teachers

Lanni36

HSC
My school is ranked way down too- I just finished year 11 and have never heard of punnett squares, so personally I wouldn't be too worried :)

Scinery

HSC
I go to a top 5 school and many of our teachers are SHIT teach us incorrect and unneccessary information, we dont get good resources. We all go to tuitions, teach ourselves and teach each other to accommodate.

I reckon the most important thing is to know where you SHOULD be. Keep coming back to BOS, befriend the smartest kids in your school and the smartest kids in other schools. Read the syllabus, get a tutor IF you know they are good. And be ranked first, every time. You can still enjoy yourself heaps if you apply yourself.

boxhunter91

HSC
Okay, so for starters my school is ranked ~600 in NSW. Yes, I know, really bad... I know it doesn't affect my ATAR as long as I get good rankings in my classes, but I've realised that my school does not teach the topics in great detail, and are somewhat behind other schools, such as selective schools.

For example, I do Biology. We did not even learn about Punnett squares until nearing the end of Year 11, whereas other schools taught it in Year 10. Now I'm really scared that my ATAR won't be as good...

So will my school disadvantage my ATAR due to what they taught me?
Thanks...
I didnt know about Punnet Squares till mid Year 12.
And besides there will only ever be one question on punnet Squares in the HSC paper.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
my school was 409th last year

and im really worried my ranks are gonna affect my ATAR
im in the top 5 or 6 for most things, but i still reckon im gonna get dragged down :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)