Diploma in Innovation Management (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I got an email about it today, it's apparently another 36UoC but the email said it is very good for finding a job.

What are your thoughts on it?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
apparently it's good for finding a job but the workload is heavy and its expensive

ct92

HSC
I got the same email last year and enrolled. So far I've only taken one of the core courses (STRE2010) but it's interesting enough so far and no more work than any other subject (group work throughout the semester, two quizzes, no final exam).

I do have to overload for my next couple of years and take a couple of summer courses, but that's outweighed by the opportunity to take more courses overall for me, and one of those is an internship anyway.

The courses are no more expensive than they would be usually, but you do have to take additional courses to get the diploma so that's why it costs more. The actual cost depends on which electives you choose, like all degrees.

garrry

HSC
I got an email about this today as well.. is it worth doing?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Been there, done that, but dropped out of it.

It seems like a competitive diploma to get into. Trust me, its easy. I've had friends of mine gotten 2-3 fails, and still got into this diploma.

Advantages: Extra Dip Inv Sci onto your name. Will businesses want a theoretical diploma or someone who's actually had some business experience?

Disadvantages: fees, takes up your winter/summer holidays, lecturers are all from small firms who advertise how they've become multi-millionaires, without telling you how they did it. Like a oprah show really.

The good 10-15 people I know who've graduated with the diploma are now into PhDs or masters. They were never invited for an executive business position. i.e. No future. Your career prospects are just the same as your B Med Sci or B Sci buddies.

But anyhow...all up to you. An extra diploma can be useful in a variety of ways.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm considering whether to do it as well. I figure: "Heh, what the heck" - but haven't done anything yet.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
What you actually study inside the diploma sounds pretty interesting, but at the end of the day you can't teach people how to innovate or be entrepreneurs.

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
Been there, done that, but dropped out of it.

It seems like a competitive diploma to get into. Trust me, its easy. I've had friends of mine gotten 2-3 fails, and still got into this diploma.

Advantages: Extra Dip Inv Sci onto your name. Will businesses want a theoretical diploma or someone who's actually had some business experience?

Disadvantages: fees, takes up your winter/summer holidays, lecturers are all from small firms who advertise how they've become multi-millionaires, without telling you how they did it. Like a oprah show really.

The good 10-15 people I know who've graduated with the diploma are now into PhDs or masters. They were never invited for an executive business position. i.e. No future. Your career prospects are just the same as your B Med Sci or B Sci buddies.

But anyhow...all up to you. An extra diploma can be useful in a variety of ways.
^ +1

If you want to use it, do as my son did - just mention on your cv that you were "invited to apply" - that has all the implications that it has some sort of prestige (it doesn't really - anyone on a credit av can get in) and that they wanted you : and all without you having to spend a cent or do any extra work.

You're (mostly) all commerce or economics students anyway - why would you need to do more of this. Sounds as if Rekkusu is right on the money with this one.

BTW My son does BEng/BSc - PV / Physics combo

Last edited:

TheStallion

HSC
ITT is idiots

Workload is nothing more than a normal subject, if not easier, got a friend doing it and it's mostly groupwork, think ENGG1000 difficulty, i.e real easy.

To the guys talking about "not prestigious enough" and "just do honours", you're an idiot, this is aimed at eng students who don't even do honours years.

Anyone outside of eng, don't bother I don't think, but if you're in eng it seems great, overload/do bits over summer and you have a qualification that companies will love, and that most the retards in eng don't have. Companies love people who can actually think about what they're doing, especially when it's to do with the money side of things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)