Dip.Ed? (1 Viewer)

melissaLOL

HSC
Is this all you need to become a teacher? How long does this take?

I'm interested in this career path but don't want to do the BArts (Education) because I think... well I'll keep my disparaging thoughts to myself, but basically i much rather study something I'm interested in, then just get the MINIMUM teaching qualification i need to work in govt schools

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What subject area are you interested in? Also whats so disparaging about an arts degree with a major in education? And why would you want to become a teacher if you have issues with it?

d3l35cu3l4

HSC
And why would you want to become a teacher if you have issues with it?
I'm inclined to agree. Teaching isn't something you go into half-heartedly. And even then, new teacher standards, and accreditation and selection procedures will sort you out even before you make it into a classroom.

The barest minimum to teach is a one-year DipEd, but even these are on the way out. In the future, it's looking like you'll need either an undergraduate, or a graduate bachelors/masters degree in teaching or education.

HSC
Is this all you need to become a teacher? How long does this take?

I'm interested in this career path but don't want to do the BArts (Education) because I think... well I'll keep my disparaging thoughts to myself, but basically i much rather study something I'm interested in, then just get the MINIMUM teaching qualification i need to work in govt schools
I think so. A dip.Ed should allow you to become a teacher, but i've only ever heard it done with arts.

Do you mean like you're interested in teaching something other than what is offered in arts?

Hmm...

cazgirl123

HSC
I've read in other threads that BArts students often later become teachers. Can anyone tell how this works? Is it a change of majors witin the BArts, a change to a BEducation, or an extra degree completed after the BArts? What exactly is DipEd?

Sorry to sound completely clueless.

Thanks,

Casey

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
From my understanding from when i was looking into this myself, the dip ed is done, when you have done a degree in the relevant area in which you want to teach. So for example i was going to do computer teaching, so i was going to do my B of Information systems then my dip ed. Instead i chose to do B of Teaching/ B of Arts.

It can also be done as a double degree.

tbh the fact that you want minimum qualifications worries me, what type of teacher are you going to be if you take the training in a not serious manner?

HSC
I've read in other threads that BArts students often later become teachers. Can anyone tell how this works? Is it a change of majors witin the BArts, a change to a BEducation, or an extra degree completed after the BArts? What exactly is DipEd?

Sorry to sound completely clueless.

Thanks,

Casey
Dip Ed stands for diploma of education. I think this is the minimum requirement to become a teacher.

cazgirl123

HSC
tbh the fact that you want minimum qualifications worries me, what type of teacher are you going to be if you take the training in a not serious manner?

I'm not planning on becoming a teacher. Lately I've been looking into what areas arts graduates generally end up in and teaching kept coming up so I was just looking for more information.

Thanks for your help.

*rUsTy*

HSC
If I already had a Bachelor of Arts degree from a previous course would it be wiser to go for a Bachelor of Education (or Teaching) rather than a Diploma? I certainly want what's look upon best by employers and not just the quickest way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)