dilemma: maths 2u or 3u [URGENT] (1 Viewer)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
hey guys, :)
my subject selection info night is tommorow and i need some advice. 2u maths or 3u maths?
i'm one of the top students in my yr 10 class and i'm also one of 5 students who can do bits and pieces of year 11 2u work (tutoring). i'm thinking of doing something related to business/society/eco/etc... after school.
  1. how much "harder" is 3u than 2u?
  2. if i do 3u maths, how does scaling affect my UAI if i can consistently get 85 to 95% in my maths 2u & ext-1 assesments/exams etc (assuming that i do pretty well in other subjects: a few 90% and the others are 80%)? what happens if i got say 70% in my hsc exam for ext.1, how would scaling affect my marks - does it go up or down?
thanks for any advice!:wave:

Evergreen

HSC
definetly do 3u maths. Like 2u maths you can study and achieve good marks in 3unit maths. also 3unit isnt much harder than 2unit its just theres extra content to learn. Also doing 3unit maths will also give you opportunity to do 4unit maths if you are good at it.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
i hope that my school lets us do 13u, but it is unlikely - 13 units would save me from stressing out. xC
thanks for the advice so far

HSC
you're one of the top students, chances are you can handle three unit. do three unit. if you find it too difficult you can always drop it! :)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
can anyone answer my 2nd q?

drvaz

HSC
the answer to ur second question is that yes 3u dose scale heps better then 2u and if u get lower in the 3u exam than all ur toher subjects the scaling will make up for it so u dont need to worry about it....2u scales really good to but if u can do 3u by all means do it....if i go bad it wont really affect all ur other marks coz the BOS only counts ur best 10 units for ur UAI and if u go good in all ur other sublects they wont count the worst one even if it be 3u maths.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Do 3u- it seems like you're up to it, and it scales good. Just a few additional topics that makes you think harder.

If you;re struggling with it in Term 1 next year, you can always drop it. So try it!

HSC
if you got 70 you will get bumped up. who cares though its not your main concern. its two years away. people get carried away by scaling way too much. if you go well the rest will take care of itself. you shouldnt have to rely on scaling if youre looking to go well.

you're among the best maths students in your year, this alone means you should do three unit (unless your school is absolute shit).

a rough guide: if you are getting under 80% in year 10 you shouldn't be doing three unit.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
this kinda reminds me of me a year ago .. no seriously belive me .. its the truth, ive been in your shoes.

Do 3u. If not, just do 2u then. I did. But I decided I was better than the 2u class [ lol im joking ] but I realised it was just too easy and most schools allow you to change around ALOT in the first few weeks of school. Some are even allowing it during this term. So whatever choice you make, there will be leway to change your mind and everything. Most people realise they make the wrong choices and change to what they really want to do.

As for scaling, all it means is if you do good in a subject - you'll get a good mark. But if you do bad - its just gona get alot worse than it already is. So choose a subject you'll enjoy as its more likely you'll do better at it. Scaling is only a minor factor you need to consider for the HSC. Its the effort you put in which is your major concern.

Black Hawker

HSC
For me scaling was never a factor for my subject selection.

I based my subjects on the following questions;

1) What I want to do as a career?
2) What do I do good in?
3) What is my interest?

My suggestion - just have a try at 3 unit.

Last edited:

cl3nta

HSC
3 unit definately
reasons: read above posts :p cbf typing them out in different words :D
goodluck :)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
If you manage to adapt to 3-unit, then you'll find 2-unit a breeze in comparison :)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
watatank said:
you're among the best maths students in your year, this alone means you should do three unit (unless your school is absolute shit).
my school is REAL SHIT. to be more specific, we came 2nd last in the Fairfield region, ie. Bonnyrigg.

thanks for the advice everyone.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
ahaha .. wooo ! fairfield pride ! lol .. ummm .. well .. if you really are having doubts .. i mean .. ask your teachers. They really know whats best for you, unless they are stupid idiots and don't care OR were wrong like my teacher. But they're usually right ! ^^" ahah ..

I mean Bonny isn't that bad. Your doing yr 11 2u work in tutor you say. I mean if your doing fairly well there thats a good indication. Is it north shore ? LOL .. but yeah it allows you to compare your abilites outside of school which is a really good thing and well .. its up to you. Don't do what anybody tells you to. Do what your really want to do regardless of what ANYONE tells you. But just listen to what they have to say. Different opinions are good either way - they allow you to see many perspectives from very different people. Use it to your advantage. =]

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Who came last in the Fairfield region?

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
sle3pe3bumz said:
I mean Bonny isn't that bad. Your doing yr 11 2u work in tutor you say. I mean if your doing fairly well there thats a good indication. Is it north shore ?
yep, i go to north shore for my tutoring. i've only learnt a few topics of year 11 (algebra, trig, parabola, and a bit of coord. geo)

HSC
d3vilz said:
my school is REAL SHIT. to be more specific, we came 2nd last in the Fairfield region, ie. Bonnyrigg.

thanks for the advice everyone.

well then refer to my next point. if you are getting any lower than 80% in year 10 maths 3unit isn't for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)