Diggers have died in vain - Obama just declared Afghan war failed??? (1 Viewer)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Even if we do fix Afghanistan, the problem is that the Taliban has just moved to Somalia. And if we go into another long, bloody peacekeeping mission in Somalia after Afghanistan, would the Taliban then just move to, say, Yemen? And that's assuming Pakistan doesn't collapse in the mean-time.

It's a depressing problem.
Hahaha, they can have Somalia :p

No one cares about it, as is seen by the world's lack of care today, whilst it is a 'dying,' lawless state. I believe there are only three interests which the Coalition have in Afghanistan.

1) the avenue the Taliban have in Afghanistan for an income. Don't think they'll be able to grow many poppies in Somalia.

2) Afghanistan's possession, or proximity to countries with oil?

3) Afghanistan's proximity to Pakistan, a country with a nuclear arsenal, which the Taliban cannot be allowed to get their hands on.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
We're in Afghanistan to protect oil pipelines, no more, no less.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Hahaha, they can have Somalia :p

No one cares about it, as is seen by the world's lack of care today, whilst it is a 'dying,' lawless state. I believe there are only three interests which the Coalition have in Afghanistan.

1) the avenue the Taliban have in Afghanistan for an income. Don't think they'll be able to grow many poppies in Somalia.

2) Afghanistan's possession, or proximity to countries with oil?

3) Afghanistan's proximity to Pakistan, a country with a nuclear arsenal, which the Taliban cannot be allowed to get their hands on.
Hmm, good points.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Dying in vain pointless battles, at the behest of foreign empires, is what the Australian army is all about.

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
seriously though, the australian army should be privatised and set up as a mercenary army for hire, thats basically what we are doing now except it is costing us money

C

copkiller

The diggers have not died in vain. The war is achieving everything it was intended to achieve:

Massive defense contractors have made billions of dollars profit supplying the US army.

The US has set up permanent military bases in the region that can be used as part of its international empire and its policy of containing China.

Increased US control can be used to establish the construction of key oil pipelines in the region.

mr_robato

HSC
Why are they necessarily where empires come to die?

Just because in the past this happened?

Terrain and attitude of the peoples of the region (although any ethnic/national group would be expected to rebel occupation). The terrain being a major factor.

Personally I see military success possible through eradication of poppy farming. It's a drug fueled war at the moment. Just as long as those farmers are kept fed and given other means of income [alternate crops, building factories/jobs etc].

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Terrain and attitude of the peoples of the region (although any ethnic/national group would be expected to rebel occupation). The terrain being a major factor.

Personally I see military success possible through eradication of poppy farming. It's a drug fueled war at the moment. Just as long as those farmers are kept fed and given other means of income [alternate crops, building factories/jobs etc].
I fucking hate thread revivers. Neg reppage to the max.

Kittikhun

HSC
Guys, do whatever you want and post whatever shit about celebrities and the other bullshit dross that you talk about BUT UNLESS IF YOU HAVE WORN THE UNIFORM OF OUR COUNTRY AND HAVE SERVED AND PUT YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE DON'T YOU EVER DISRESPECT AUSTRALIAN SOLDIERS OR THOSE OF OTHER NATIONS FIGHTING IN AFGHANISTAN ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO HAVE LOST THEIR LIVES. You dickheads are a disgrace. I don't care if you guys are joking about it, it's not a joking matter. You guys don't know shit about what is going on in Afghanistan. Your vacuous posts and insights are baseless and completely idiotic. Stick to your diet of 2 minute noodles and leftist and biased fatuous fucking world peace gripes and stop trying to stir up trouble especially when you don't know shit. It is not worth it and is fucking disrespectful and unjustified.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Soldiers are butchers and thugs and the more of them that die the better off we all are.

If they're too stupid to realise they're pawns in wars started by other people then we're better off without them.

This reverence of soldiers effectively glorifies violence and war and is just indulgent idiocy.

Kittikhun

HSC
Soldiers are butchers and thugs and the more of them that die the better off we all are.

If they're too stupid to realise they're pawns in wars started by other people then we're better off without them.

This reverence of soldiers effectively glorifies violence and war and is just indulgent idiocy.
There will always be people willing to take advantage of another man's weakness. It is the human condition to be better than the mean next to him and to be more powerful than him. If there were no such things as soldiers we would be ruled by those who are narcissistic, megalomaniac and oppressive. Do you really think that someone who gets bullied by an smug wanker would just stand back stoically and do nothing and stand back? No he is going to fight and nations are just the same. How about a man who has found that his wife has cheated with another man? Your argument is baseless. We are always going to fight. It happens with every animal including us. It's part of the human condition. Just stop trying to provoke a fatuous argument.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
War isn't our natural state in a civilized society you idiot. Fighting isn't a natural state. The natural state is productive. War is inherently destructive.

All you've done is say nation states are rent seekers and soldiers defend this state of being

WONDERFUL!

mr_robato

HSC
There will always be people willing to take advantage of another man's weakness. It is the human condition to be better than the mean next to him and to be more powerful than him. If there were no such things as soldiers we would be ruled by those who are narcissistic, megalomaniac and oppressive. Do you really think that someone who gets bullied by an smug wanker would just stand back stoically and do nothing and stand back? No he is going to fight and nations are just the same. How about a man who has found that his wife has cheated with another man? Your argument is baseless. We are always going to fight. It happens with every animal including us. It's part of the human condition. Just stop trying to provoke a fatuous argument.

I totally see where your coming from in regards to the need of a defense/armed force. However, you need to go easy on throwing the "your argument is baseless" notion.

Kittikhun

HSC
It's saddens me profoundly reading your posts showing your scorn for soldiers typed with the privilege of free speech when the people who you are despising are actually the ones who sacrificed so much for you in order to obtain this freedom for you to say such a thing with impunity. I ask you all just to talk to at least one soldier who has served and has been through combat and to just talk to them without any animosity; without any hate and without any prejudice and realise that they are serving so that you don't have to serve. These people aren't war mongers, they do not like the idea of killing another man. I assure you that when you talk to a soldier who has done so, they will not talk about with you and divert away from the subject. I assure you that many won't even talk to anybody about what they had been through. It is not a good thing to do killing another human being, to the point that it scars some so much that they will do the unthinkable to themselves and to their families when they come home, but sometimes it must be done. As I said before, do whatever you want in your life, I do not care, but do not ever , ever disrespect soldiers so openly with contempt when you yourself do not know what they go through each day to protect you and to let you live the life that you have now in peace and prosperity.

1337z4u12

HSC
30 years ago everyone thought vietnam was never going to crawl of out the shit.

mr_robato

HSC
It's saddens me profoundly reading your posts showing your scorn for soldiers typed with the privilege of free speech when the people who you are despising are actually the ones who sacrificed so much for you in order to obtain this freedom for you to say such a thing with impunity. I ask you all just to talk to at least one soldier who has served and has been through combat and to just talk to them without any animosity; without any hate and without any prejudice and realise that they are serving so that you don't have to serve. These people aren't war mongers, they do not like the idea of killing another man. I assure you that when you talk to a soldier who has done so, they will not talk about with you and divert away from the subject. I assure you that many won't even talk to anybody about what they had been through. It is not a good thing to do killing another human being, to the point that it scars some so much that they will do the unthinkable to themselves and to their families when they come home, but sometimes it must be done. As I said before, do whatever you want in your life, I do not care, but do not ever , ever disrespect soldiers so openly with contempt when you yourself do not know what they go through each day to protect you and to let you live the life that you have now in peace and prosperity.

Bla bla bla.

Take it easy on on the poetry. I myself have an application for GSO [RMC] with the ADF [DFR rather].

Take a chill pill man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)