Did i choose the right subjects..? (1 Viewer)

steban

violin dude
HSC
ok so we chose our subjects awhile ago, and got back the results and i found out that my subjects clashed, IT was on the same line as Japanese.

i wantd to do sumthing like this, english, maths, music, chem, Japanese, IT

but because of the subect like my subjects ended up turning out to be

English Advanced
Maths General
Music 2
Chemistry
Japanese beginners
Biology

i dunno if i have a good mixture of subjects, is biology anygood...?

my ambition is to be a pro musician, my backup is like working in the science area, but i would so rather music, iv been doing it for most my life.

and can people tell me a basic idea of the scaling for each subject, all i know is that chemistry is usually scaled up up and biology usually down. thanks!

Deluge

HSC
Well, biology won't "scale you down" if you do well at it... Chemistry and Physics scales better than biology... but the whole purpose of scaling is so that a student who chooses the subjects he or she likes won't be disadvantaged when calculating the UAI... And biology isn't that bad a scaler in the grand scheme of things... it scaled better than ancient history, business studies and legal studies last year :) I'm doing biology myself, even though I was about to not choose it because of "poor scaling".

But they look like pretty neat subjects there. I bet you'll do real well in music... :)

Cheers.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Deluge said:
Well, biology won't "scale you down" if you do well at it... Chemistry and Physics scales better than biology... but the whole purpose of scaling is so that a student who chooses the subjects he or she likes won't be disadvantaged when calculating the UAI... And biology isn't that bad a scaler in the grand scheme of things... it scaled better than ancient history, business studies and legal studies last year :) I'm doing biology myself, even though I was about to not choose it because of "poor scaling".

But they look like pretty neat subjects there. I bet you'll do real well in music... :)

Cheers.
Physics is much easier .... easy stuff like V=IR ... Biology will slug you with too many notes ... and you get the benefit of scaling, if you pass, but because physics is easy you will ... I remember a former Physics student sucked hard at English Standard and got a ncie UAI of 94 because he had Physics as well as Chemistry and Maths Extension 1

Last edited:

Deluge

HSC
The level of difficulty of a subject depends on the student... All teachers and all principals say that you should choose which subjects you like, not the ones you think will be more easier, and not the ones that will apparently "scale you up".

There are upsides and downsides to choosing any subject. Whilst biology may be very much theory based, you wouldn't have to deal with silly mistakes as much as you would have to if you do physics.

So just go with the subjects you like best.

James747

HSC
If you really want to do IT and Jap at the same time, u can do jap through Open high. I'm planning to do that for Jap as well ;)

steban

violin dude
HSC
thanks guys, ill pick up music extension in yr 12 and...drop wateva im having problems with most, or jsut biology as thats the sub i didnt really wanna do in the first place.

may i jsut ask, how do the languages scale gerenally, i hope beginner courses are scaled like too bad. though i do find it easy so hopefully ill blitz it

Sofstar

HSC
You shouldnt really pick subjects depending on scaling either. Music ext is a hell of alot! Electives are:
1) Performance: 3 contrasting pieces and one must be an ensemble.
2) Composition: 2 pieces submitted
3) Musicology: 1 extended essay.

Just incase you didnt know and wanted to know, though you might have already known.

xuvu6520

HSC
The right subjects are subjects that you feel alright with.
Firstly, you have to like those. Secondly, you have to be ok (or better if you're good ) at those. And last but not least, they help you with your UAI.

You have chosen some good subjects like Music 2 (Music Extension), English Advanced and Chemistry. However, Biology is what you have to rethink. Unless you love Bio and good at memorising stuff or want to do Medicine or Pharmacy, then go for it, otherwise don't choose it.

Thinking about Physics? Physics is one of my favourite subjects, but I don't recommend it to you, it's easy for some but not for others.

General Maths scales you down, but again, it's up to your Maths knowledge and skills. Trying to do Maths 2 Unit? My advice is No if you're not good at Maths because Maths 2 Unit scales you down relatively the same as General Maths but the knowledge is harder then those in General Maths.

Anyway, whatever you choose, make sure that you're happy with them, and that's your choice not mine or any other person's.

Good luck!

steban

violin dude
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
You could look at the site I posted earlier :)
i did check it out thanks!, but i just wanted more confirmation as it was from past years, and because some say languages are all scale up but meh, some are scaled down heaps.

Sofstar said:
You shouldnt really pick subjects depending on scaling either. Music ext is a hell of alot! Electives are:
1) Performance: 3 contrasting pieces and one must be an ensemble.
2) Composition: 2 pieces submitted
3) Musicology: 1 extended essay.

Just incase you didnt know and wanted to know, though you might have already known.
The subjects iv picked are all subs i like...well biology is something that i chose becuase there was nothin else, but iv started to have an interest in it.
And maths is because im ok at it, but like, i hate it soo much ill probably drop it. who knows, the time to decide will come soonz.

but yeah, im prepared for the music, im being started on yr 11 music as soon as SC is finished, teacher thinks i should rush through sum music1 stuff and focus more on music 2 next year.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
xuvu6520 said:
..... General Maths scales you down, but again, it's up to your Maths knowledge and skills. Trying to do Maths 2 Unit? My advice is No if you're not good at Maths because Maths 2 Unit scales you down relatively the same as General Maths but the knowledge is harder then those in General Maths .....
Are you serious ?

Schoey93

HSC
Arrgh. THAN, not then. Please can people get this right for once?

It would be much appreciated. :)

Don't even get me started about people saying "bought" instead of "brought".

"I BOUGHT a movie ticket with me." This does NOT make sense.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Try Mathematics first. If you're struggling, then drop back down to Mathematics General in year 12.

Also, if you're better at science than languages, try do Physics instead of Jap Beginners. Physics scaling is quite high, whereas Jap beginners scales down. And trust me, physics is not hard if you try.

If you're unsure, then pick both physics + jap beginners. You can always drop one of them.

HSC
bio is good =)
i didnt like the prelim stuff though. it gets alot better in yr 12 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)