Diagnostic Radiography vs. Radiation Therapy (1 Viewer)

Lois_87

I Love Gorden Tallis!
HSC
I am currently deciding on my uni preferences and I just wanted to know
if anyone is doing either of the following course:

* B Applied Science (Medical Radiation Science) – Diagnostic Radiography
* B Applied Science (Medical Radiation Science) – Radiation Therapy

I am finding it hard to choose between the two and just wanted to know
any information on the courses and any advice from current or prospective students.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
Lois_87 said:
I am currently deciding on my uni preferences and I just wanted to know
if anyone is doing either of the following course:

* B Applied Science (Medical Radiation Science) – Diagnostic Radiography
* B Applied Science (Medical Radiation Science) – Radiation Therapy

I am finding it hard to choose between the two and just wanted to know
any information on the courses and any advice from current or prospective students.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

i do RT- pm me for info or add me on msn

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
yeah we do basically 5/7 subjects that are common . the ones that are different are obviously the specialty one

Lois_87

I Love Gorden Tallis!
HSC
Thanks!

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate. I haven't done 2 Unit Mathematics,
I do General. Will that make the course harder? I'm top of my year at General.
Like 90-95% in exams....

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
Lois_87 said:
Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate. I haven't done 2 Unit Mathematics,
I do General. Will that make the course harder? I'm top of my year at General.
Like 90-95% in exams....
i did 2 unit but i dont think its givenme that much of a boost..maybe a few things in basic physics but thats about it and you get taught it again anyway

Lois_87

I Love Gorden Tallis!
HSC
Physics or Chemistry?

Katie123 said:
i did 2 unit but i dont think its givenme that much of a boost..maybe a few things in basic physics but thats about it and you get taught it again anyway
Did you do physics or chemistry? I do Biology, but thats my only science.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
wow, same dilemma. i kinda want to do radiation therapy because i figure its more interactive with people, but i get the impression that there's not as many jobs avaliable for that as diag. radiography. yeah, i do bio & 3u maths. apparently for diag radio you need to know alot of bio ( was talking to a clinical placement guy whilst doing work exp)

i kinda found radiography boring though. x-ray after x-ray

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
if you want more patient contact go for RT cos you watch the patients progress throughout their whole treatment and you get to know them. They were really nice when i went on clinical and you get to know the patients even in a short week..imagine what the job is like..more contact with patients that you could imagine.. maybe except when you get into planning which is not all the time

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
the_13th_falcon said:
Both have similar aspects. I do radiography. I get the impression from clinical it is pretty relaxing. A couple of searches on mycareer or seek will show you demand/job opportunities for graduates of each.
HI Michael!!!!$!#^%~@#&&!%*$%&#^!$%&#*!$%* :):):) <3

bEAbEA

HSC
hi - i've got the same problem, i don't know what one to choose!!! I really want to either one, but i want to stay on campus at the syd uni. That means a train trip to cumberland... Does anyone stay at cumberland? Is it good?

Pokute-san

≧∀≦
HSC
I'd choose Radiation Theraphy. Because...it's unpopular. Not many people does it right? And you get to work with Medical Physicists in hospitals! It's fun!

frootloop

HSC
I've decided that I might be interested in doing a degree in one of the medical radiation sciences...

sort of leaning towards diagnostic radiography but would it get boring after a while? Just taking x-rays all the time?

I feel kind of silly asking this, but is it dangerous? You know, being around all the x-ray stuff and all that could be harmful.

The only science I do is Bio. Would I find the course difficult because I haven't done chem or physics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bEAbEA

HSC
Yeah, I'm thinking of radiography too -
I don't think that it could every get boring (diagnostic radiography) because there are so many different things you could do with it - CT, MRI, sonography, x-ray etc, and there are so many opportunities - its a great job to travel with, and you can work in hospitals or private practises.
Its probably a bit dangerous, however, all radiographers have to wear some sort of special radiation tab, this just monitors the amount of radiation the radiographer is being subject to.
You might have to do a briging course for physics, and its probably best if you have done 2U maths.
Hope that helped.

ReaveR

HSC
Only particularly dangerous if you don't wear your lead armour :p

You'll have to do biochem...which I think was basically chem full on (I don't do it, my gf does diag.), as well as radiation physics and basic physics etc. You'll get to do anatomy and play with dead bodies very often, as well as learning about muscles and diseases with very obscure names.

And you'll have to do lots of clinical, which is good for experience and the like.

Cumberland is a very small campus, and there's almost next to no parking if you want to drive, I'd say.

Skeeta

HSC
parkings not an issue

if you know where to look you are able to find it easily
i've been driving every day and havent had any dramas
dont let it put you off

ReaveR

HSC
Yeah I only go occasionally, don't know that area very well. Only when I go its packed. Outside that is, I've never been inside to park before :p

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
frootloop said:
I've decided that I might be interested in doing a degree in one of the medical radiation sciences...

sort of leaning towards diagnostic radiography but would it get boring after a while? Just taking x-rays all the time?

I feel kind of silly asking this, but is it dangerous? You know, being around all the x-ray stuff and all that could be harmful.

The only science I do is Bio. Would I find the course difficult because I haven't done chem or physics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
not dangerous ..all safety measures are taken...+ ur radiation dose over ur career is monitored by some association
BIOCHEMISTRY was really human biology and biochemistry which is basic chemistry mixed with bio..u would have done quite a bit of the bio part. physics you will have to work at if you havent done it but i know plenty of people on HD level who did basic science and no maths.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
ooh random fact i learnt....on ur academic transcript ...it goes back to ur HSC as well it has all ur marks on it as well as ur UAI .....i had to see a coordinator about something and i saw the sheet and yeah well it went back that far.
*random* not relevant cos once ur in u r in

Lois_87

I Love Gorden Tallis!
HSC
the_13th_falcon said:
And on the maths, general maths would probably be a decent start. I hear general maths is all about being given the formula, and what each letter equals, and finding the last letter. If so, you are set. Physics is pretty good to know aswell. I 'done' physics in year 11, dropped it in year 12 for some study periods full of some solid stick-cricket and slimesports sessions. Doing fine with all the physics now. To be honest, I wouldnt stress over subjects, but that UAI thing they all talk about is pretty important (until of course you actually get into your course, at which point nobody cares anymore).
Thanks so much! That was a major help. I was stressing about doing General maths, thinking I'd struggle. Thank-you!

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
As per my signature, I'm not Radiation Therapy or Diagnostic Radiograpy, but Nuclear Medicine! I did General Maths, Senior Science, Dance, Music and Advanced English. lol No Physics, Chem or Bio there. The Physics is hard, I must admit. It takes a little bit more than the other subjects in the course. But that's life right! However, the course is changing next year with 4 subjects on offer per semester, so it MIGHT be a little easier for the next lot coming through, as this may allow more time to focus on the subjects that students are struggling with. At the Student Rep meeting they never mentioned as to how it will be timetabled. So it's a little hard to tell if there will be a major difference or not.

But it's a great course - be it RT, DR or NM that you are interested in. The clinical side of the course is awesome!! It really allows you to understand majority of the course components so much more. Word of advice - be prepared for quite long hours on campus! Im not sure a to whether they are keeping the course to a 3 year course, but if so, they tend to sqash a possibly '4 year' course into 3 years - therefore expect 5 days a week with 3 of them at least 9 - 5ish. Hope that helps you a little. Goodluck with the choices!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)