Denton's 'Enough Rope' - Hanson Interview (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
Asquithian said:
people have tried to quash her because they recognise that her ideas are VERY VERY dangerous...if suddently the communist party or a party supporting the extermination of people with blue eyes became popular i would expect the people in power to try and curb this...
But through underhand methods? I seem to recall that the reason why her party was not properly registered was because no-one would help her register it properly, or explain the procedure to her or the other members of her party.

Plebeian

If you watched the interview something that she stressed was not "I hate Asians and Aboriginals" (although this may have been her view in the past). It was that we need to recognise that Aboriginal communities have serious problems. At the moment, no-one is confronting these problems because if they criticise the Aborigines, they will be labelled racist, so it's better just to pretend there is nothing wrong.

I do think the media has distorted her views to a reasonable extent in order to make them more controversial ... although I don't agree with everything she says, I don't think she is just a bigot.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Techie said:
If you watched the interview something that she stressed was not "I hate Asians and Aboriginals" (although this may have been her view in the past). It was that we need to recognise that Aboriginal communities have serious problems. At the moment, no-one is confronting these problems because if they criticise the Aborigines, they will be labelled racist, so it's better just to pretend there is nothing wrong.

I do think the media has distorted her views to a reasonable extent in order to make them more controversial ... although I don't agree with everything she says, I don't think she is just a bigot.

She did not answer when Denton asked her wether she believes Aboriginals are more disadvantaged than the rest of 'us'. Of course they are; deaths in custody? high rates of infant mortality? severe heath issues? (diabeties etc. caused by western food and drink) alcoholism? voilence?..the list just goes on, and it's all a result of white settlement of Australia.
These problems are being confronted, but there is no need for a political party to make a song and dance about it because it makes us feel 'uncomfortable' and 1% of the population don't win elections.
How can you blame the media when we can fully make up our mind about her through her presentation and content? (both of which are very poor).
Even if Hanson was taken for a ride (by Abbott and other right-wing nutters) it does not validate any of her policies. Frankly, she gives feisty red headed women a bad name.

Generator

HSC
N/A
This has already been said, but...

She believes believes in a simplistic notion of equality that barely takes note of reality.
She obviously seeks to restore the mythical Australia of the 1950s
She's an idiot.

If I'm not mistaken, it was David Oldfield who was the one with the brain. He's now a member of the NSW Senate, isn't he?

saladsurgery said:
and arguing on the internet gets you nowhere
It's kind of fun, and my mates don't seem to care, so BOS is the place to be.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
I was going to start a thread on this.

Anyway, I watched the interview, only because I was waiting for Dave Hughes. Though I'm glad I did watch the interview.
I agree with one of her baser beliefs, that every citizen black or white, pink or people, is first and foremost Australian. She was trying to get people to understand that being Aboriginal alone should not be an excuse for any special provision.
If your a poor aboriginal then your simply considered as equal to everyone else in your socio-economic band, and everyone of that band recieves the same recognition and benefits.
She didn't want a divided Australia, she wanted Australia to be truly one. Her stance on immigrants was that so long as they refused to become part of Australian society, then they should go home, back to the type of life they wanted so much.

I did think it was a blatant attack, out of fear, by the major parties to destroy someone who was a threat because she was gaining rapid support, and because she didn't just recycle the same bullshit.

I think her decision to run for the Senate is because she wants to make a difference, albeit even a small one. In the Senate she may very well hold the balance of power and thus she would have the power to prevent any Bills she didn't like from becoming laws. After all, trying to straight out run this country had proved a detrimental decision especially when the major parties used decietful tactics against her.

The media skewered her. Her words, and her image was completely distorted. Probably those who control the media didn't like what she was saying.

Over all, I think Pauline Hanson is a misunderstood woman
i'd love to draw attention to the fact that this is coming from someone who watched the interview. after the interview i came to the same conclusion.

tell me though, were you initially against her? or were you initially cautious about how the media represented her?

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
I've actually met Pauline Hanson, when I was with my girlfriend at the time (who is Asian) and after hearing so many people talk about how she wanted "Asians out" and the like, we asked her what her problem was with Asians in this country.

Basically, during this conversation she said that she didnt have any problem with someone by their appearance/race etc but her problem was with people living in this country not being "Australian."

So I asked her how she defined an "Australian" and well, then came the waffle. The whole concept of acting "Australian" is the dangerous thing in all her views and is pretty much what the media are jumping all over as being racist. I personally see it as being too simple as opposed to racist.

I actually admire how she is able to excercise her rights to expressing her point of view, but like "Techie" says, anyone who makes any negative comments regarding the Indigenous community in this country is instantly labelled as being a racist, and the same now goes for all minorities as well.

From that meeting and that interview with Denton she doesn't seem to be a racist as such, but a lot of her supporters and the like have taken her as a figurehead as such to advocate their racist views such as the "Aborigines were cannibals and that Australia would one day be part of the United States of Asia, part of a conspiracy to exterminate the white Anglo-Saxon males" that we saw in that interview. Which is my main beef with One Nation and why I would never vote for them in or any other future One Nation clones or manifestations.

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
i laughed the moment she opened her mouth...

Oh, it's, um... Yes, I am, I'm the fourth girl and the fifth down the line, so it's been a wonderful childhood, I have to say that. I had wonderful parents and I love them dearly. My mother passed away in 1998 - six years ago - and Dad's still alive, he's 85. I suppose growing up with six brothers and sisters you had to learn how to share.
and then i changed the channel

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Her stance on immigrants was that so long as they refused to become part of Australian society, then they should go home, back to the type of life they wanted so much.
HeCtic said:
Basically, during this conversation she said that she didnt have any problem with someone by their appearance/race etc but her problem was with people living in this country not being "Australian."

So I asked her how she defined an "Australian" and well, then came the waffle. The whole concept of acting "Australian" is the dangerous thing in all her views and is pretty much what the media are jumping all over as being racist. I personally see it as being too simple as opposed to racist.
That is the question isn't it... I didn't see the interview, so I can't really comment there, but telling someone to become "Australian" is a fairly big call... although, it depends on how far you want to go - I think an expectation of being able to speak English, obeying the law and contributing to society is probably fair, but if you are asking them to give up their culture because they should be assimilating... that's a bit much. I spose it's easier to simple about it to get attention though, so who knows.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why should a person become an 'Australian'? Anyway, what is an 'Australian'?

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Generator said:
Why should a person become an 'Australian'? Anyway, what is an 'Australian'?

A person should become Australian - respect our laws, our culture and our customs (not follow but respect) and speak English because they want to live in our country, which is Australia.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
A person should become Australian - respect our laws, our culture and our customs (not follow but respect) and speak English because they want to live in our country, which is Australia.
The state exists for the individual; not the other way around. People have a right to exist ANY way they want, as long as they dont harm anyone else...who are you (or even the government) to ask for any more than that?
Australian culture and customs are worthy of great respect?. Please. Through your logic we should be speaking an Aboriginal dialect and, heaven forbid, respecting their laws, culture, customs and land rights!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
'we are one but we are many..but from all the lands on earth we come...we share a dream and sing with one voice...i am..you are...we are Australian'

That became our 'national anthem' towards the end of my time at primary school... I don't know what happened once I left.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I removed my post after your edit... Thanks for that :p.

I was trying to make reference to Howard's probable stance of all such songs being values neutral despite the fact that many would be much better than the national anthem in terms of representing today's Australia.

I'm not cut out for comedy.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
damn fucking straight.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
it pretty much recognises everyone except immigrants...it does the convict, the farmer and the aboriginal very well
Hrm, so everyone who isn't an immigrant is either an Aborigine, convict or farmer? :cool:

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
defining Australian narrowly alienates alot of people who perceive themselves as Australian
haha and i think the politicians think it consequently conversely so when they label people's misconduct as 'unaustralian'? this has so many layers which need peeling that hopefully asq will argue for/against me.

baargh...the only thing you rely on is their verbosity.. i cant watch an interview with out yelling at the screen..its a simple yes or no answer mark, john, luke, paul..

Last edited:

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
I dont think she intends to define it as simply as you all seem to hypothesise.

Clearly we need people immigrating properly, less boat people. i read it as a strong immigration stance/political rheotoric. i dont see her as a radical, just a normal australian with average intelligence.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
has hanson ever mentioned anything about the asians stealing all the 'high paying, top jobs'?

hmm might have been jeanne little's comment on beauty and the beast, something about the asians are taking over..haha such an intelligent panel with stan zemarnek..

but perhaps to the honest truth, they are. though not politically, becuse theyd never get the votes.

*touchy ground* i think it is, generally, asians come from a start-with-nothing-so-work-your-arse-off (american dream or whatever) background and have grown up with very strong values for education and high paying, secure job etc... im not saying that caucasions are not, but generally the majority of this generation of asians are more focused on getting high marks for the HSC..

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I didn't see it, so this comment is based upon other things (twisted can flame me for posting if he/she likes).

As I have said before, much of the population does not understand politics, and she appears to be one of these people. Sure, that makes her more genuine, but this also means you she is not a good candidate for the senate, nor any other political seat.

Note: I am deliberalty not passing judjment on her policies here, mearly stating that she is not suitable as a candidate.

malkin86

HSC
So you're judging her on her percieved personality, not on her ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)