Debit cards (1 Viewer)

Janine

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if any banks such as Commonwealth Bank, or CPS provide these? (I know St George does, I'm just looking for an easier option!)

How do you obtain one of these? How long does it take?

Thanks,

turtleface

HSC
Pretty much all banks have debit cards.

"Key cards" (for instance for CBA customers, the teal/turquoise-ish commonwealth bank cards that are linked to your savings accounts are debit cards.)

Most people already have a debit card if they already use a non credit card card to pay for transactions or withdraw money, as long as its linked to a cheque or savings account.

Many (not all) debit cards have "Maestro" logos on them, have a look at your card that you use to use money in a savings account. If it has "Maestro" its a debit card.

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
St George does a pretty good deal. I opened up another account with them to use as a "savings-buying-stuff-off-the-net" account. They gave me a VISA debit card.

I kept my existing Commonwealth Bank account.

turtleface

HSC
both are audited by KPMG

yes i know thats irrelevant and nobody cares, but i'm just bored and felt like saying that

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
yeah well my card is BLACK
therefo.......

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i know, i feel so dirty :(
oh well, my credit card is a nice WHITE one. oh noes, i hope the blek doesnt try and steal the money from my credit card. uhoh.

Janine

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the help guys.

So, to get a St George visa debit card, I basically need to open up an account there, and then ask for a debit card.

Could anyone give me some guidelines on fees/expenses?

And is this St George card the type you can use to buy tickets from ticketek online etc?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
Janine said:

So, to get a St George visa debit card, I basically need to open up an account there, and then ask for a debit card.

And is this St George card the type you can use to buy tickets from ticketek online etc?
well when you go in to open an account, bring a drivers liscence and passport or birth cert

also bring in some student identification so you can get a student freedom account which has less fees than the other accounts

that way all credit purchases have no fees, 10 withdraws a month (8 from an atm and 2 from the bank itself) for free.

when purchasing tickets online- it just goes through visa

doingHSC

HSC
Janine said:

I went to apply for it today, but only took my drivers licence + student id (add up to 80 points...and u need 100 points in total to prove ur identity). So gonna take medicare card also 2morw.
go here for more info
http://www.stgeorge.com.au/accounts/100points.asp

the fees and charges are here (pg. 7 if ur getting Freedom student account)
http://www.stgeorge.com.au/resources/sgb/downloads/pds/fees/sgbfees_010706.pdf

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
They changed the rules with the St George VISA... if you use it to make VISA withdrawals (ie. EFTPOS transaction and pressing "CR"), then even though they are free, those are deducted from your 10 free transactions per month.

... that being said, it's still a good deal. St George also has a nifty feature, which whilst not free, it sms's me my balance and the details of the transaction anytime more than $20 is withdrawn from my account. This doesn't work so well with the VISA network since they use batch processing- in other words, they don't happen straight away.

*Minka*

HSC
I don't have a Debit Card, I just have real credit cards which is much easier and all that. I usually use my Amex, but use Visa when I am shopping online when it is Visa preferred or for ticketek or whatever. St George is a shit bank, so I'd never get their Debit card LOL.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I hate the queues at St George... I mean they spent so much $$ on advertising- can't they just hire more people to work the tellers?!

... as for AMEX. If you finished HSC in my year (2005), you're probably 18 or 19? I didn't know most 18/19yr olds were eligible for AMEX!

*Minka*

HSC
seremify007 said:
I hate the queues at St George... I mean they spent so much $$ on advertising- can't they just hire more people to work the tellers?!

... as for AMEX. If you finished HSC in my year (2005), you're probably 18 or 19? I didn't know most 18/19yr olds were eligible for AMEX!
I have it through household income and it is through my Dad. See, I was born in Croatia and I go abck there at least twice a year, so I have credit cards because Dad doesn't like me travelling with cash or travellers chqeues. Especially in some parts of Croatia/Serbia/Macedonia it isn't the best idea to walk around with wads of cash. And since it is not a debit account, I don't have to worry about putting money in there, Dad just fixes it up.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)