Curls and Perms (1 Viewer)

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
When I was younger I had straight thick hair, but it as I got older it started getting curly and it's now to the point that I have loose curls that form a crazy afro thing.
I was a slave to my straightener, but I don't have time anymore and I don't want to keep damaging my hair. I don't want to get it chemically straightened, cause I actually like the curl.. but I want to know if there's some sort of treatment I can get that will maintain the curls but reduce the volume and the frizz that pops up now and again, maybe some sort of perm that maintains and defines the curl?

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
steph@nie said:
I want to know if there's some sort of treatment I can get that will maintain the curls but reduce the volume and the frizz that pops up now and again, maybe some sort of perm that maintains and defines the curl?
I am clueless about perms but I do have naturally wavy/curly hair so I'll do my best.
I have really thick hair which I used to attempt to straighten regularly. A few years back I decided to give my hair a break and went to an excellent hairdresser with slightly naturally wavy hair too. She gave me layers to take out the thickness but to also induce my hair to curl. Everyones hair is different so I suggest talking to a few hairdressers to see their opinions of your hair or if you have a great hairdresser talk to her. I also recommend moisturising treatments. Thats my advice :)

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
!! CaR`JiE !! said:
um.. use hair serum to reduce the fizz :p
lot of hair + frizz = copious amounts of frizz serum.
actually, does anyone know if you can get anti frizz shampoo and conditioner?

rumour

HSC
steph@nie said:
When I was younger I had straight thick hair, but it as I got older it started getting curly and it's now to the point that I have loose curls that form a crazy afro thing.
I was a slave to my straightener, but I don't have time anymore and I don't want to keep damaging my hair. I don't want to get it chemically straightened, cause I actually like the curl.. but I want to know if there's some sort of treatment I can get that will maintain the curls but reduce the volume and the frizz that pops up now and again, maybe some sort of perm that maintains and defines the curl?
My hair was frizzy, I got it chemically straightened. It reduces the frizz, but doesn't make your hair dead straight unless you use a straightener. Well that is what happens for my hair anyway, because it was very frizzy and wavy before.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
steph@nie said:
lot of hair + frizz = copious amounts of frizz serum.
actually, does anyone know if you can get anti frizz shampoo and conditioner?
agreed..i want to know of a shampoo and conditioner that WORKS

i have the same problem..i often straighten and if i leave it alone it looks so shit :(..i'd like to have my curls more defined..but i'm not interested in a perm..

HSC
garnier sleek and shine! i keep pimping it to everyone because it's awesome .. although your hair is the exact opposite of mine (and i hate my hair, you always want what you can't have, right?)

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
I feel your pain.
I have very curly hair, used to be relatively straight when i was young. It only stays curly nicely if i put a fuck load of product in it, and then it only stays like that for the one day/night because as soon as i sleep on it, thats it, fucked again. So i have to wash it out and do it all over again.
I havent been able to find a shampoo that prevents it from going frizzy or anything, but maybe its because i just wear my hair in a plait on a day to day basis so then when i comb it after its dry, it frizzes and i need to wet it to make it nice again. But yeah best shampoo for my hair is the one for oily roots and dry ends, fructis and fruitrience have a good version of that.

0Jade0

HSC
I have really frizzy/curly/long/thick hair. The best shampoo I've used is Herbal Essences Fruit Frusions the revitalising one (pink). My hair is stronger and less frizzy. (I feel like i'm on an ad anyway)
If your hair is anything like mine garnier is shit.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I have wavy curlyish hair (although not frizzy) and I use loreal vitamino control shampoo and its really good to keep it manageable, its still manageable without straightening it and i do heaps of shit to it such as straightening/blowdrying and curling it, as well as swimming in chlorine

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
I had the same problem, my hair turned in to a frizzball but, so I got chemical straightening. Best $140 I ever spent.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
steph your hair sounds exactly like mine and garnier sleek and shine doesn't really do shit for me. although it's pretty cheap so it's not like you're losing heaps of $$ by giving it a go (unlike brands like bedhead, redken etc).

i hate my hair, it's so fucked. does anyone else with thick hair find that theirs gets tangled really easily and you have to spend ages untangling it?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
My problem isn't thickness, my hair is pretty thin, but there is SOOOOOOOOO much of it (each time I go to a new hair dresser they comment on how much hair I have, lol)
Anyway, it has the tendency to get frizzy and ... boufy, I guess, as well as pretty wavy and knotty, and ...yeah, you get the picture.
So, what do we all know about chemical hair straightening?

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
glycerine said:
steph your hair sounds exactly like mine and garnier sleek and shine doesn't really do shit for me. although it's pretty cheap so it's not like you're losing heaps of $$ by giving it a go (unlike brands like bedhead, redken etc).

i hate my hair, it's so fucked. does anyone else with thick hair find that theirs gets tangled really easily and you have to spend ages untangling it?
I just don't even bother anymore. I think that's part of the reason why I want to make my curls pretty, because it's harder to notice.

I don't mind spending money on shampoos and conditioner if they work like they're supposed to. I used to make my own conditioner. Well, not make it, but buy non scented conditioner base from the health food store and add rose oil or something to make it smell nice, but it didn't really stop the mess or anything.. it just made my hair smell nice and look shiny.

Skeeta

HSC
Ive got the "curl shampoo and conditioner" from sunsilk, it cuts down the volume and frizz of your hair! Trust me, i got v. curly hair

its also not 2 expensive.

Another alternative is to get your hair "relaxed". Its similar to "chemical straightening" except it doesnt actually make your hair straight, all it does is "calm it down a bit". I got it done a few years ago, my hair is ringlet curly naturally, and the relaxant treatment calmed it down to a nice wave. It'll set you back about $50 (well at my hairdresser it did anyway)

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
i think people have been misusing hair serum, you only need small amount of serum for your hair even for thick hair, you dab some onto your hand and rub/massage through your hair, you're not meant to use "copious amounts" of hair serum. Serum is sticky so there's still some on your hands, so keep massaging onto your hair esp. the ends and roots where there's frizz. seriously i have thick and wavy hair too

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
I have wild curly hair that looks shit. If it curled normally, it wouldn't be so bad. But it's just all over the place and looks messy + it's thick= lots of tangley knots.

And now I have some lovely mousey regrowth. I have no idea what my hair is going to do next. It used to be black and curly, then it went dead straight and blonde and now it's mousey and curly..... all by its own accord.

Incidentally I'm going to the hairdresser this afternoon, so I'll try and get something manageable done to it.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
you can get japanese straightening, which doesent damage your hair and you can still dye it afterwoods as well. my boss got it and it looks really good. costs a fair bit though

rumour

HSC
glycerine said:
Yeah, everytime I leave it out when I go somewhere. I have to brush it all the time:mad: I carry a comb in my bag:p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)