• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cube Roots of Unity (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes but I asked THREE maths teachers at my school who have been teaching for 25+ years and they don't feel that it will be examined, then I think they may be correct.
Learn to quit whilst you're behind.

jet

Banned
HSC
Yes but I asked THREE maths teachers at my school who have been teaching for 25+ years and they don't feel that it will be examined, then I think they may be correct.
Three out of the several thousand in the state?
And I know of teachers who have been teaching for 25+ years and have been completely wrong.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Learn to quit whilst you're behind.
Were you the one that was taking advantage of those in the Physics Marathon?

Three out of the several thousand in the state?
And I know of teachers who have been teaching for 25+ years and have been completely wrong.
Yet you fail to point out a proving-type question using these results that have been asked before in past HSC papers ;)

jet

Banned
HSC
Yet you fail to point out a proving-type question using these results that have been asked before in past HSC papers ;)
2003 Question 8a
2005 Question 6b

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
2003 Question 8a
Not a proving type of question

2005 Question 6b
This is a different type of question to what the op was asking.

Also, it seems that people have the impression that I was saying NOT to study this stuff. I certainly am not, all I'm saying is to study other aspects of the course which are more likely to be examined.

I also did say that I believed it to be in the syllabus aswell, and that it is good to know it. But I personally am not going to spend excessive amounts of time getting my head around it.

Last edited:

jchoi

HSC
Not a proving type of question

This is a different type of question to what the op was asking.

Also, it seems that people have the impression that I was saying NOT to study this stuff. I certainly am not, all I'm saying is to study other aspects of the course which are more likely to be examined.

I also did say that I believed it to be in the syllabus aswell, and that it is good to know it. But I personally am not going to spend excessive amounts of time getting my head around it.
Pretty sure u did say not to "worry" about it. If that doesn't mean "if u can't do it, skip it" what else does it mean?

Anyways whether they test or not is not important - as a 4u student, you should be prepared to answer what is in the syllabus. It is in the syllabus. Thus you study it.

I'm not sure if it's going to be in the exam or not, but if it can get you 3 marks in HSC for spending some good 30 min, I'd do it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Learn it. What lolol-w/e guy said makes perfect sense to me. That's how I'd have gone about it, except set it out abit nicer.

I'm getting tutored by some guy who excelled ext2 in yr 10, and got 98 in hsc, and he says that type of formatting is "picking a fight" with marker.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Umm, lol
Guys, just so you know, jm01 is the guy that refuses to give up even though everyone knows he's wrong. So you might as well stop arguing, he's not gonna agree with you
Let him think what he wants, shall we?

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
Umm, lol
Guys, just so you know, jm01 is the guy that refuses to give up even though everyone knows he's wrong. So you might as well stop arguing, he's not gonna agree with you
Let him think what he wants, shall we?
lollll from wat i see that looks pretty true

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
I was wondering, how would you set up the proof for:

"If w is a cube root of unity (i. a root of z^3=1), prove that w^2 is also a complex cube root of unity."

I understand you need to use (z-1)(z^2+z+1)=0 to solve, but how would you actually set out the proof?

thanks
nah u really only need that part when proving that 1 + w + w^2 = 0

jet

Banned
HSC
Anyways whether they test or not is not important - as a 4u student, you should be prepared to answer what is in the syllabus. It is in the syllabus. Thus you study it.

I'm not sure if it's going to be in the exam or not, but if it can get you 3 marks in HSC for spending some good 30 min, I'd do it. Better to be safe than sorry.
Exactly. But lets let him think he doesnt need to know it, as it seems he wont give in.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Jetblack,

You seem to be not to be able to understand what I'm trying to say.

Proving type questions in complex numbers is not common. I am not saying to skip those ones. All I'm saying is, if you were to have a HSC trial examination tomorrow, and I hadn't touch these proving stuff, then I wouldn't spend the whole night trying to get my head around it, when I can study for other areas of the topic that I don't fully understand.

However, I'll let you think that knowing it is absolutely essential. But do note that when I'm covering harder areas of the Ext 2 course, I'll be also entertaining myself by the thought that you'd be doing harder cube roots of unity proving-type questions in complex numbers (and trust me, sometimes these types of questions get extremely messy. :devil:

jet

Banned
HSC
LOL. i am already done. Guess you didn't notice it when i said that earlier.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
In that case, you'd know better than me that these types of questions are not common.

jchoi

HSC
In that case, you'd know better than me that these types of questions are not common.
???

...?

It's pretty clear that he wants to know how to do it, not spend the whole night.
If you're procrastinating ext2 maths, good luck but if i was, i'd study to get the easy marks rather than the harder marks.

Anyways solved - close thread

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
jchoi,

All I'm saying that these types of questions are quite uncommon and yet everyone is acting like I'm some sort of person trying to give misleading information. Note that I never said not to study it, I want people to draw their own conclusions to whether they will study it to great depths or not.

[sarcasm]So, jchoi: Thank you very much for your (extremely) valuable input. It was very necessary[/sarcasm]

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
why do you '09er kids fight so much over math? it should promote collaboration and creativity, not competition.

unless you're a fag like conics2008

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)