CSSA Trial (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
How did everyone find it?

I thought it was pretty easy but the E Coli graph would have lost me 3-4 marks. Probably 90-95%.

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
On soccer fields, In KFC, At uni, At clubs, and in
HSC
N/A
it was really easy but only 1 Q that stuffed me up
the 1 where it ask for 2 theory of evolution i read the Q wrong i read it as theory of evidents for evolution omg so stupit i just relized that stright after the test
just bit too late. and the rest was ok oh and i think i made 2 mistake in m choice damn it :vcross:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Can you guys give me the jist of the longer questions, or at least the ones you remember?

I'm assuming everyone's finished the CSSA paper by now

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
One was on comparing two theories of evolution, another on one infectious disease and how understanding of it and hence treatment has changed, can't remember the others.
EDIT: there was also a 5 marker on comparing blood vessels with relation to their function

And what did others get for this one?

Which scientist's experiments led to the chromosomal theory of inheritance?
A)Mendel
B)Sutton
C)Morgan
D)Boveri

I didn't think we were supposed to differentiate much between the work of Sutton and Boveri apart from the animals they worked with, so I said Mendel. Is this correct?

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
My textbook said Sutton originally did the theory but both he and Boveri are the fathers of the theory so i put Sutton

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
acmilan1987 said:
My textbook said Sutton originally did the theory but both he and Boveri are the fathers of the theory so i put Sutton
meh, as long as noone gets >5 marks more than me I'm set.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
What was the answer to which type of barrier the stomach is - I put chemical because it had HCl in the diagram.

I put AIDS as the infectious disease even though it would probably have been easier to do malaria - I'm a bit tired of malaria.

What did everyone else put as the bio breakthroughs - I put that soon we will all have our individual genomes mapped rather than the generic 'everyman' genome we have now so more specific medicine will be prescribe i.e. no allergic reactions.

For the two theories I said Darwin/Wallace and Gould (he was the person that proposed punctuated equilibrium?) - I put him because I read the books by Richard Dawkins and he talks about him a lot - added Godzilla as an example. It took me a while to grasp what the question was actually asking - then to work out a response. For Darwin I wrote 19th century scientific breakthroughs and an optimism for the future was prevalent so the public accepted the theory - religious belief on the decline. For Gould it was harder - I ended up talking about Godzilla...

EDIT: I put pulse oximeter as an example - used after a major operation.

Last edited:

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
On soccer fields, In KFC, At uni, At clubs, and in
HSC
N/A
Zarathustra said:
What was the answer to which type of barrier the stomach is - I put chemical because it had HCl in the diagram.

I put AIDS as the infectious disease even though it would probably have been easier to do malaria - I'm a bit tired of malaria.

What did everyone else put as the bio breakthroughs - I put that soon we will all have our individual genomes mapped rather than the generic 'everyman' genome we have now so more specific medicine will be prescribe i.e. no allergic reactions.

For the two theories I said Darwin/Wallace and Gould (he was the person that proposed punctuated equilibrium?) - I put him because I read the books by Richard Dawkins and he talks about him a lot - added Godzilla as an example. It took me a while to grasp what the question was actually asking - then to work out a response. For Darwin I wrote 19th century scientific breakthroughs and an optimism for the future was prevalent so the public accepted the theory - religious belief on the decline. For Gould it was harder - I ended up talking about Godzilla...

yeh chemical is correct for ur qestion
as i said before i really stuffed up the 2 theories, i was bit lost in the test and read the qestion as 2 theories of evidents for evolution... oh man i was lost :(

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Zarathustra said:

I talked about malaria and the transition from the Roman Times when they thought it was swamp air, to Ronald Ross identifying the anopheles mosquito as the vector.

I did Darwin/Wallace vs LaMarck for the evolution one.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I did exactly the same as you for the malaria one withoutaface but did natural selection vs punctuated equilibrium for the other

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
withoutaface said:
I talked about malaria and the transition from the Roman Times when they thought it was swamp air, to Ronald Ross identifying the anopheles mosquito as the vector.

I did Darwin/Wallace vs LaMarck for the evolution one.
I was also going to do LaMarck as that was the other big evolutionary theory - but all I knew was that he was French and that he was before Darwin. I would've had no hope of getting anything close to full marks with that. As soon as I saw it I thought of how the USSR kept to Lamarck's theory because natural slection is too similar to free markets - but decided on Gould...
Withoutaface what breakthrough did you do?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Joanne Santini works in the field of microbiology, and has found and is working on further developing bacteria which eat arsenic, this could have applications in the mining industry and Indian subcontinent water supplies. + bonus points cos she's australian:D

Lamarck's theory was acquired inheritance, the one which states giraffes necks stretch during their life time. I said it was invalid because if two amputees have a child, the child still has all its limbs.

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
The question asked what were the social/political circumstances that led to the theory - that means you have to know about the sociopolitical climate of 18thcentury France - that's what stopped me form picking LaMarck, or maybe I misread the question - it seemed a bit obscure to me.
Did we have to give a specific for the development question - because I only answered in broad generalities... hope I at least get 80 :(

incredible

Has Anyone Done Their Bio Cssa Trial??????

if so, could someone tell me who CONDUCTED EXPERIMENTS that led to the chromosomal theory of inheritance????

SUTTON or BOVERI
i chose BOVERI because he was the only one that conducted experiments with sea urchins.
Many books hhave claimed that sutton researched the results of other scientists
PLEASE SOMEONE CLEAR THIS UP!!!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Zarathustra said:
The question asked what were the social/political circumstances that led to the theory - that means you have to know about the sociopolitical climate of 18thcentury France - that's what stopped me form picking LaMarck, or maybe I misread the question - it seemed a bit obscure to me.
Did we have to give a specific for the development question - because I only answered in broad generalities... hope I at least get 80 :(
Our question was doctored slightly.

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
withoutaface said:
How did everyone find it?

I thought it was pretty easy but the E Coli graph would have lost me 3-4 marks. /
wat were we supposed 2 do for that graph? it caused alota confusion...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)