CSSA Trial (1 Viewer)

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
queenie said:
withoutaface said:
How did everyone find it?

I thought it was pretty easy but the E Coli graph would have lost me 3-4 marks. /
wat were we supposed 2 do for that graph? it caused alota confusion...
I put temperature on the x-axis as that was given as the independent variable, then on the y I put amount reproduced in 8 hours. I thought that there wasn't enough information. To be able to plot the whole information you would need time vs temp. which would just be stupid. The information given was weird - the bacteria was heated to 34* then to such and such - if we had to graph that, why did it explicitly say the temperature was the independent variable? Then for my (probably incorrect) graph I couldn't figure out whether the relationship between time and temp. was linear, exponential or what, so I decided on exponential even though that's wrong :rolleyes: - maybe I should have drawn the graph like the catalase and the liver with respect to temperature??

In Jacaranda it said that Sutton originally proposed the chromosome theory of inheritance then, independently, a year later Boveri also proposed it - so CSSA has screwed me again...

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I put time on the x-axis and number of bacteria on the y-axis and then sketched the lines for all three test tubes on the one axis

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
And I think that's right.

Do low temps kill E Coli or just stop them reproducing, cos I assumed that they killed the bacteria, and I now think that its wrong.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I indicated on the graph that they didnt die but reproduced at a much slower rate

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
acmilan1987 said:
I indicated on the graph that they didnt die but reproduced at a much slower rate
thats wat i did...

and for the mendel/sutton/boveri question.... i put suttn, but am starting to think that i shouda put medel, cause accordin 2 jacardanda, sutton didnt do any experiements, he workd of 2nd hand infrmation :S but then again, in other books it said that sutton did experiements.. so ahhh. oh, and in success, it says sutton proposed the theory *is confused..

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Zarathustra said:
How did you put all of the information on two axes? There was time, temperature and reproduction - and they only gave rate of reproduction at 34* - how are we suppose to know the reproduction at other times?
Thats why it said approximately draw the graph. Obviously the rate would either be slower or the bacteria would die at temps that were not 34 - thats the problem since it doesnt indicate whether it dies at those specific temps. so i just showed that the rate declined at lower temps. As for temperature i didnt indicate that on a scale but I indicated which line corresponded to each test tube and it is obvious from the graph when the temperature was changed because of a change in the rate of reproduction

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
ok...
well, it was a crappy question. and as for the sutton/boveri question, i checked with my teacher today, the suggested answers are boveri, but shes takin both cause she doesnt know that sutton didnt do any experiments, so hey, im not complaining.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Well for that graph one i saw the suggested answer and they did it the way i said - time on x-axis and number of bacteria on y-axis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)