CSSA Trial (1 Viewer)

Mike iE

HSC
How did everyone go ?

I hated it, the way the questions were written really got to me. Now i see why the Catholic trials have the reputation

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I went well, not 2 confidant bout lear tho, but module a(in the wild) and c (truth) were alrite...the culture thing(in the wild q) threw me off @ first but i think i got it in the end

superbird

HSC
The first question on BNW and BR was really weird :/ maybe its cause im used to seeing questions that talk about humans relationship with the natural world.
King Lear one was OK, though I think I didn't address the question as much as I should've.
The Truth one was the easiest. But I hate speeches :|
All in all I think I did pretty good. Those hours of craming last nite paid off :p

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
lol yeh i crammed like hell, woke up @ 3 and studied till 8

chepas

HSC
Wasted too much time on module C, not enough on A, did module B first cos it's the crappest one for me..

I liked the module A question for transformations... but not writing speeches for things, how can we really do it without presenting it orally? Transcript or not..

Anyway, what's this 'reputation' of Catholic trials? Please explain :p

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The Transformations questions was allrite.

The speeches question was good expect it specified Pearson's speech which i hate and know nothing about!!!

I didnt think the Powerplay question gave enough chance to really explore 1984.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse, so i'm reasonably happy :)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
for emma and clueless it was ok cuz i managed to cram everything i had about context values and themes in there.. [6 pages]
our module b question had to be changed because we havent started the critical readings of gwen harwood.. but the one they changed it to was heaps hard in my opinion.. maybe i should have studied more.. but it was something about how u can see it from different points of view and it helps us understand something.. it could have also been because i only left like 32 mins to do it (cuz i knew i wouldnt have much to say anyway) [4 pages]
i liked our telling the truth question.. it was quite broad [6 pages]

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
i think hte reputation is that catholic trials generally are harder then most otha trials, and in speeches u jus have to address the audience, use rhetorical questioning, use '...' to demonstrate pause, shit like that

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Did really good in module C, alright in A and probably not as good as i wanted in B but hopefully A and C will make up for B

superbird

HSC
For the Lear question what did u talk about?
I spoke about 3 past performances though briefly. 2 interpretations: feminism and aristotelian and tried to relate how women affected both. Then I spoke about themes (madness, chaos vs order etc) and how women affected that. Then spoke very briefly bout techniques, like basically listed them and supported with quotes.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
dont worry acmilan, im sure youll get your wonderful dux award polished with your top rank #1 english pro marks

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Module c i liked i wanted to keep writing mod a was alright and i just generally don't like lear. i was expecting a lot worse i felt so sick today =/

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
My school does modified/similar versions of the Catholic trials. In the past they've always used them for English, but this year they must have decided that, for some reason, they weren't suitable.

So Pearson was the specified speech? I'm so glad my school modified it, because we haven't done that one in class and it looks too awful for me to think about reading at home. Hopefully I get over my fear of it for the HSC. ;)
Ours was just write a speech about 3+ of the studied speeches, talking about text and context. I went over time, and that screwed me up for the other two responses.

Our transformations question was the similarities/differences, and it was good but unfortunately I spent too long on the other questions. I prefer essays, at least you don't have to spend too long trying to think of a good introduction.

And we had a feature article question for 1984, which I found a bit annoying because the statement was confusing and I wasn't too sure about how much detail I should have been going into [I tend to retell the stories for the module, and it's a bad habit]

Unfortunately I didn't fill any of the booklets. :( Probably 5 page responses, on average, for each. Which would probably equate to around 3.5 A4 pages in my writing. I feel motivated to study more now! And learn time managment skills...

lalaynie

i really did not go well in a and b... i forgot most of my quotes and the question rattled me in a.... b was good cos we changed it from pearson to keating :) ohh yeah.. lol
i like the speech, i thought we werent going to get one essay so two was fine... i was dreading a feature article, or like standard a conversation between two people.. i would have failed then!!!i prolly didnt write as much as i shouldve, i think for the three responses i have 12 a4 pages all up.. so about 3 pages, but it shouldve been mroe... i thought it was hard but not as shocking as i was thinking... if i didnt know what to write i just chucked themes and related to the question which was good i guess....
good luck everyone for the rest!!!
xox

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Killed it.. I think. I reckon I'll get average of 16 for all my essays.

Melody

HSC
N/A
C was great (truth), B was good (lear slightly modified but same quote and still very similar), A was CRAP (but then I haven't read the book, ddin't study it much and then had blank when I went in so left it till last...... ) :(

Hoplite

HSC
The Lear question would have killed me if I hadn't read a lot of rubbish about feminist readings last night...so I think I did pretty well in that.

The BNW/BR question annoyed me with it's vagueness...what were they thinking?..."hmmm how about we just chuck the word culture into a statement that barely makes sense? That'll teach 'em!" - I guess they were never going to give us two easy english papers.

The telling the truth question was simple enough at least...

Melody

HSC
N/A
I freaked out at first on Lear, I had all this stuff on existential and political representations (ie little to do with daughters) but then *somehow* managed to twist them around and around to get the daughters in... Wrote 2.5 pages...

nomz

i did soooo crap! for section 2 we did the speeches- the only speech we didn't have time to go thru in class was Noel Pearson so yay! they specified his speech! i had all the ideas in my head for the first one but my stoopid hand wouldn't cooperate with my head so it wrote a whole heap of garbage! for the last one i don't even know what i wrote- i was so stressed by then my head was blank! God i hate exams! good luck to everyone with the rest of theres...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)