CSSA trial (advanced/ extension maths) (1 Viewer)

Ivy h

HSC
hey guys has anyone know much about how CSSA makes their questions? Like do they normally use similar past questions in their previous papers or use questions on concepts they didn’t assess on their previous one?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Back when I did my HSC, I completed a few past CSSA exam papers in preparation for my own Mathematics (now Mathematics Advanced) CSSA trial exam. From the papers that I completed as practice and the one I sat, there were definitely some patterns in terms of some questions. For example, I distinctly remember one question that required the use of the limiting sum, which I was only able to recognise because of one of the CSSA past papers that I had completed beforehand, which included a question that also required the use of the limiting sum in the same way.

While the paper that I sat was based on the old syllabus, it would be reasonable to assume that such patterns may still exist in CSSA papers that are based on the current syllabus. This does not necessarily suggest that all questions will be similar to previous papers. There is still a good chance that a number of questions will be different, which is why it is important to complete as much practice material as possible in preparation for your trial exam. Of course, the best way to determine the extent to which both conditions apply is to access and attempt past CSSA papers. With that being said, please keep in mind that CSSA papers cannot be requested or shared on BoS.

I hope this helps! 😄

carrotsss

HSC
I'd recommend asking your teacher for CSSA past papers, they will almost certainly have them scanned. It's pretty hard to find them online because CSSA are a massive pain about copyright.

I've found that the CSSA papers are pretty similar to other papers. There are some oddities, like CSSA 2022 MX1 asking for you to use something from an entirely separate question part, but there's nothing really important that's different compared to other papers.

Podfort

HSC
Well this year they got college professors to create the advanced paper which ended up being an impossible paper. The CSSA papers up to and including 2022 are fine though.
Where did you get that from?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Last edited:

maryjane05

HSC
If you were taught properly you would not feel so bad about it.

Ok buddy, who do we have here? An underground CSSA agent?

Compare this paper with past papers and you will see the large difference, people were getting 85+ on those exams for practice then failed this one.

carrotsss

HSC
Ok buddy, who do we have here? An underground CSSA agent?

Compare this paper with past papers and you will see the large difference, people were getting 85+ on those exams for practice then failed this one.
he’s not wrong, if the teaching quality in nsw was better very few people would’ve had issues with it (I haven’t seen the paper but it’s a pretty fair thing to say)

maryjane05

HSC
he’s not wrong, if the teaching quality in nsw was better very few people would’ve had issues with it (I haven’t seen the paper but it’s a pretty fair thing to say)

Take a look at the 2020, 2021, 2022 CSSA Math ADV paper then have a look at the 2023 one. The disparity is CRAZYY.

maryjane05

HSC
that wasn’t really tywebb’s point though

My math teachers are amazing and in fact they are overqualified for their job, the issue does not lie within our teachers, maybe it does for your school but not mine.

Coreyporter33

HSC
Bro that paper had me in shambles. Haven’t been able to sit down for weeks (I believe due to an intestine illness as stated by my doctor).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)