Crime Fiction Sucks (1 Viewer)

Veck

Just wanted to say that
and don't give me any of that 'oh it reflects social conventions' bullshit, it's ten years behind any other genre in terms of recognising social values, it's boring, formulaic, predictable, aggravating, and a downright waste of time for anyone involved.

Thank you Board Of Studies, for wasting what could have been a thought-provoking subject

wow that felt good, why didn't I do this at the start of the year?

Kawaii Mz Re

HSC
lol sounds like you REALLY REALLY REALLY hate crime fiction =P :apig:

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
Veck said:
Just wanted to say that
and don't give me any of that 'oh it reflects social conventions' bullshit, it's ten years behind any other genre in terms of recognising social values, it's boring, formulaic, predictable, aggravating, and a downright waste of time for anyone involved.

Thank you Board Of Studies, for wasting what could have been a thought-provoking subject

wow that felt good, why didn't I do this at the start of the year?
You are my new hero.:)

reeni24

HSC
I can't stand it either!

it's hard to write about when you don't know alot of how it works (investigations, forensics etc) AND it's so dull and depressing!

and there's so much bad writing around!!

Rickmurray

HSC
I RLY LYK CRIME FICT COZ ITS FUN N I LYK TO RED SOMETIMZ BUT NOT ALWAYZ COS REDDING IZ SUCKZ LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL DW GUYZ DIS IZ ONLY A FEW YRS O UR LYF N DEM U CAN DO WUT U WANT

NAH SRSLY DUN STREZZ U GAIZE RLY DUN STREZZ KK NO RLY DUN STREZZ COS ITS NOT A BNIG DEAL I FUND THIS OUT N ITS KK 4 ME SO DUN STREZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw: iz neone on diz forum lezbiennn coz my teecher sez there myt be cos she nos things cos shez mah teechaaa!

KK DUN B ANGRY :argue: COS IM TELLING TEH TRUF JUS CHILL DUN STRESS KK COS U DUN WAN STREZZ KK GUD IM GLAD COS IM NOT STREZZD KK GUD! CYA GUYZ PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO I HAS A SMELLY SCROT!

Darus

HSC
Rickmurray said:
I RLY LYK CRIME FICT COZ ITS FUN N I LYK TO RED SOMETIMZ BUT NOT ALWAYZ COS REDDING IZ SUCKZ LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL DW GUYZ DIS IZ ONLY A FEW YRS O UR LYF N DEM U CAN DO WUT U WANT

NAH SRSLY DUN STREZZ U GAIZE RLY DUN STREZZ KK NO RLY DUN STREZZ COS ITS NOT A BNIG DEAL I FUND THIS OUT N ITS KK 4 ME SO DUN STREZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw: iz neone on diz forum lezbiennn coz my teecher sez there myt be cos she nos things cos shez mah teechaaa!

KK DUN B ANGRY :argue: COS IM TELLING TEH TRUF JUS CHILL DUN STRESS KK COS U DUN WAN STREZZ KK GUD IM GLAD COS IM NOT STREZZD KK GUD! CYA GUYZ PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can someone translate for me? i dont speak stupid :S

oh and

dat202hoe said:
It's better than Cloudstreet.
qft /thread

erm

HSC
CF is too formulaic....but i guess that makes it easier for us to talk and understand the genre as a whole. But it also makes it incredibly boring.

say if we did fantasy, that would be quite difficult because it varies quite a bit and we would most probably feel lost (I would anyway).

lucidassembly

HSC
Rickmurray said:

That actually made my head hurt.

Nah, I like crime fiction :) There are definitely some dull parts to the subject and the conventions can get a little tiresome, but that's where the extra research comes into it. There are so many genre-blending and convention-subverting texts which are truly made of awesome :D I think finding and analysing weird related material is my favourite part lol.

Fantasy and science fiction would have been great though! Oh the Buffy and Doctor Who...

Jezzakar

HSC
my class had the choice between crime and speculative fiction. we chose spec. best decision ever. i love spec. im quite incredibly annoyed at bos for taking it away and replacing it with scifi. the poor kids after us miss out.

Sangfroid

HSC
Seriously?

I love it.

I think it's because the Core Texts (Big Sleep and Real Inspector Hound) as well my the supplementary (Chinatown chosen by teacher, A Time To Kill chosen by myself) are interesting in that they aren't fully formulaic and the entire essays were about how they subverted the generic code.

I loved the subject, seriously - but I also think it's because my teacher is so awesome.

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
Sangfroid said:
Seriously?

I love it.

I think it's because the Core Texts (Big Sleep and Real Inspector Hound) as well my the supplementary (Chinatown chosen by teacher, A Time To Kill chosen by myself) are interesting in that they aren't fully formulaic and the entire essays were about how they subverted the generic code.

I loved the subject, seriously - but I also think it's because my teacher is so awesome.
My core texts were
Skull beneath the Skin
The Big Sleep
Real inspector hound
The bottom two were good but Skull has turned me off crime fiction for good.
I had a great teacher for it as well (despite his month long absence right before the trials) so if anything was to make me enjoy the texts, it was his teaching.

Sangfroid

HSC
Matt1120 said:
My core texts were
Skull beneath the Skin
The Big Sleep
Real inspector hound
The bottom two were good but Skull has turned me off crime fiction for good.
I had a great teacher for it as well (despite his month long absence right before the trials) so if anything was to make me enjoy the texts, it was his teaching.
Definitely, we did Skull for a couple of weeks but decided to take another supplementary text Chinatown, which was so, SO much better.

Skull Beneath the Skin has to be the worst crime fiction text I've ever read. It's so boring, God. :p

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Skull Beneath the Skin has to be the worst crime fiction text I've ever read. It's so boring, God. :p
Uuuuugh total agree.
But crime fiction is fun! Who doesn't love Raymond Chandler?

erm

HSC
Yeah christ that book was unbearable. I'd rather watch paint dry.

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i really enjoy the crime fiction genre. except for the set texts anil's ghost and pd james.
I'm glade i came on here, the majority of my class loved pd james... i thought it was the driest read, it was trying to modernise the golden age crime fiction which was good back in the day... also it took half the damn book for the murder to happen.
however at least I could follow the plot a little easier. After reading Anil's ghost i had to ask myself, what happened? so then i read a cheat book (still confused me). should be a good text to deconstruct.
the texts of own choosing i am in love with (thus why i chose them) Tess Gerritsen's keeping the dead is amazing.
crime ficition creative writing is hard without sounding like the lock door mystery or having the culprit admit?

crime fiction is soooo much better then the area of study: belonging (bleh)

0hNivlek

HSC
Skull beneath the skin is so damn boring /slit.

The Real Inspector Hound was much better. I prefer the gothic genre from prelims...it's just 100x more interesting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)