crim law assignment (1 Viewer)

HSC
how's everyone going with it??
wen i first saw it i thought 'sweet, it'll be easy' but much less so when u get down to writing it - is everyone else planning on devoting quite a bit of it to paying out past law - i mean all the good damning critiques are about the pre-1981 and 2003 reforms
stupid holiday essays

iwannarock

HSC
i don't even know what the question wants.

i think it'll have to be a last minute job as usual.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Bump!

Hey guys, do you think she's asking us to talk about physical assault and sexual assault as two separate issues, or only about physical sexual assault? I just started 'researching' from the book (because I dont even want to start properly researching yet) and it would make more sense if she wants physical sexual assault because it would encompass Brown and all the stuff that went on with that.

I just started today and I already feel like crying. But this is my last essay; It will be my third in less than two weeks. Sigh.

iwannarock

HSC
ok so i haven't even done the reading yet.

i'll probably start writing on tuesday night.

but what the hell does this question want.

last semester it was so easy. "whats the role of punishment". it was great........i just went and read the whole punishment section of the book and was fine.

this one........i don't even know what to read. is there a section in the book i should be focusing on?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
There isnt a section in the textbook. I just used the presentations that everyone in my tute does (they present a reading and give us a handout summary). It works fantastically when it comes to cramming an essay into a matter of days.

Its basically everything up until week 4, so its not that much reading. In all honesty, I dont know whether I've answered it correctly; I've spoken to two friends who have done differentl things to me, and each other. So it seems that there isnt really much of a structure. Just bitch about cases and old legislation.

HSC
that's my approach! yeah i've got a couple of friends using a totally different structure to me but that's ok i think there's more than one way to approach it. i'm starting by looking at sexual assualt then i'm doing assault but it's all related - i'll just refer back to sexual violence by saying how sex wasn't the focus of brown even though it was in the context of sexual acts - so the law just doesn't like that kind of sex and would rather characterise it as assault. although - if u look at the definition of section 61K (assult with intent to have sexual intercourse) - would brown fall under that then (as a form of sexual assualt) if it were tried in oz today? also what's with the lecturer's take on it? the notes i've got don't seem to agree with her - she seems to suggest in the lect notes that as soon as sex enters the pic intercourse overshadows the place of violence and becomes sex (with heteros anyway) - so consent is at issue - but my notes say the actual sexual intercourse is often evidence of the intent to have it in this context - which is weird, because then why would anyone be tried for aggravated sexual assault (which has the same penalty, only means you would have to prove no consent). don't get it

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I havent listed the different types of assault, just said that they exist.

With what Anne said re: overshadowing violence with sex, I think she was more referring to the old kinda law in that if you were assaulted then its assault, but once sex was part of the deal then the victim (eg. woman) would not have much recourse because of all that feminist shit about how heterosexual sex is normalised (eg. Wilson and Clarence cases).

There was something funny about aggravated sexual assault and not having to prove consent, but I cant remember what my tutor said. Arent I a great help! ;)

My brain is fried in this heat. Never want to hear the word consent or Brown or horseplay again.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
My brain is fried in this heat. Never want to hear the word consent or Brown or horseplay again.
what about.... *raises voice* MONKEY GROOMING!

the latest word i never want to hear again, thanks to psy232,.....

'orbitofrontal cortex'

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
what about.... *raises voice* MONKEY GROOMING!

the latest word i never want to hear again, thanks to psy232,.....

'orbitofrontal cortex'
*Shudder* oh yes, add monkey grooming and attachment theory to that list.

HSC
hehe i love our day-before-moral-support threesome! one day i will actually have to meet u two!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
You never know, we might end up in a tute together... Not that we'd know it was the other person.

Sigh, nearly finished it now. Just doing footnotes. I know two people who have not yet started. How crazy is that?!

iwannarock

HSC
i haven't started yet.

i just finished the reading.

i'll start writing now...........no............now.........no wait................................................................................................now.

damn i still havent started.

knowing there's other law battlers out there like me makes me feel much better. i've heard quite a few people havent started yet.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Gah! I dont understand that. Its totally psychologically impossible for me to leave something that last minute. My friend knows a girl in 4th year law who adds by default an extra week to assignment due dates, and hands them in then. I couldnt do it.

iwannarock

HSC
250 words done.

just need another 8 of these.

i'm probably the only law student left who still wastes words with an intro but by golly wat a great intro.

its all bout the quantity for me. not the quality.

its brown time.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
lol, the "its Brown time" threw me for a minute, didnt quite know what you were referring to! ;)

Have fun! We're here if you need some moral support to get you through the Brown time :D

iwannarock

HSC
brown time is tough stuff.

im at 600 words. i'm beginning to come to dead ends with this brown case. i'd be writing something then thinking "what the hell does this have to do with the question".

ah well i'll soldier on.

iwannarock

HSC
just a little progress report.

brown time is now down......and out....gone.........forever.

1300 words or so done. its onto morgan and mcewan and legislation. its sexual assault and honest belief time.

hmmmmmmmm just doesnt have that same ring as brown time.

brown time is now my quote of the week. it can be used in so many situations.

for instance:

- your painting a picture right, somebody comes up to you and asks "hey whats the time"............you pull out your paintbrush..........dabble it in the brown paint and say with a big cheesy grin...........its "brown time!" and proceed to paint..........something brown.............like a beaver.

- the more common usage of "brown time" as MJ stumbled upon could be an announcement that one is currently in need of visiting the bathroom. "gee its brown time" "is it brown time yet" "have you had your brown time"

-if you were a superhero......before you beat someone up........you could say "its brown time" and clench ur fists together

i've gone crazy. law has officially made me crazy. don't drink wine kids.

iwannarock

HSC
huzaaaaaah! i'm done.

who'd thunk it woulda takn 4 and a bit hours to rwite the last 700 words.

damn u lettermna.

u know wat this calls for?

i think this calls for a sexy party!

*bgeings dancing in sailor suit surrounded by several women in lingiiere*

Last edited:
HSC
congrats man! enjoy ur sexy party. wow way to just punch it out - i started writing this thing three days ago and i'm still not finished! i'm not even up to brown time (which is at the end of my essay)! ah well, i'm sure i'll get there eventually. or die trying!

iwannarock

HSC
ok i just woke up.

reading over my essay. i don't think i really answered the question. especially the "construction of bodies" part. i basically ignored that. i just answered what i think the question wanted us to do. which may very well be wrong.

oh well i tried my best. time to shove this into that box and never have to look at it again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)