Creative writing stimulus (1 Viewer)

mn26

HSC
Can anyone give some examples of what type of stimulus quotes or otherwise we could be given for creative writing??

hawkstring

HSC
We just had our trials - the stimulus was to choose one of three images for a setting (between a cottage, a school and a train) and also one of three objects as the main ocus of the piece of writing (between a kite, some books and a computer). Not very fun. 8(

However, in the Excel Area of Study Guide, the example stimulus quotes are:

"Her smile was a welcoming beacon and I was no longer alone."

"This was home."

"The wall was not only a physical barrier. It was psychological too."

Hope that helps! 8)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In our Trial, we had three different quotes from the texts in the reading task as stimuli. Don't remember all of them, but the one I used was: "The fondest memories were...."

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Expect anything really. Photos, cartoon, quotes, imagery... All of them could come up. The EX1 last year for RFTG was basically a choice from a collage of images.

ozziguy

HSC
Our exam stimulus was awesome really easy, just had to start it off with "For James, fitting in had always been an easy task, despite all his faults, until now....". Was able to slot that into my pre-prepared response really easily.

If you get a photo or an image, the best thing I would suggest is to fit it into your story as an actual photo that the character sees, and talk about his/her response to it. You don't have to constantly refer to a stimulus and revolve every single aspect of your response around it, its enough to just mention it briefly.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you get a photo or an image, the best thing I would suggest is to fit it into your story as an actual photo that the character sees, and talk about his/her response to it.
Although that's a pretty obvious way to do it. Subtlety is key here. It's only a stimulus, not the entire foundation of your story.

ayehann

Procrastinator
HSC
in our trial.. the stimulus was too boring and easy...
it was " you have been invited to write a peice of creative writing for a students book called "places, faces and shapes" Write a story/memoir/narrative/etc... on the concept of belonging to go under one of the three headings"...

Weirdo111

HSC
We just had our trials - the stimulus was to choose one of three images for a setting (between a cottage, a school and a train) and also one of three objects as the main ocus of the piece of writing (between a kite, some books and a computer). Not very fun. 8(

However, in the Excel Area of Study Guide, the example stimulus quotes are:

"Her smile was a welcoming beacon and I was no longer alone."

"This was home."

"The wall was not only a physical barrier. It was psychological too."

Hope that helps! 8)

we had the same paper... it was badly written by most of the ppl at my school

joshhunt

HSC
we had the same paper... it was badly written by most of the ppl at my school
Ha! So did we! :p

I loved that stimulus. I overestimated the time I had left and did not really including one of the stimuli that much… I didn't get horrible marks, but I definitely could have done better. I still love the story I wrote though.

steffy123

HSC
Here's a question I pulled out of a practice paper:

Select one of the following quotations. Uses this quotation as a central idea in your own piece of writing that explores the concept of belonging.

a) "why did I go there?"

b) "I cannot defend my decision"

c) "a chance to dream"

Hope that helps :)

Sadiah

HSC
We had to link three of the following images with three of the following objects and we had to amalgamate the Conept of Belonging (palpably):

Images
1. A train
2. A lonely house with no neighbours
3. A school

Objects
1. A pile of books
2. A kid playing with a kite
3. A computer

Butt Rayge

HSC
I just posted in a thread at the top of the page with a few that haven't been mentioned here

cyndieeeeee

HSC
they sound good, thanks :)
for our trial we had four pictures;
a man with a shirt that said outsider
a box of broken toys
a house
and i think it was like a pathway

i used the one with the box of broken toys, visuals are gud to use, coz u can manipulate them in multiple ways :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)