Creative Writing: Ideas and Inspiration (1 Viewer)

razzarach

keep smiling :)
HSC
Journey Creative Writing

Okay most of this thread is about crreative writing & change, so does anyone have any tips for JOURNEYS? I got none, I'm quite shocking at creative writing.. I got 10/15 for my Trials... :p

So, yeah... Those Band 5/6 people... any ideas?

Lexi

HSC
N/A
About journeys ---

Well - I got 14/15 for my first attempt at creative writing - Our Trials. I wrote about a friend of mine that had died when I was little, with music (the song they played at his funeral) being the trigger.

Our teacher told us that creative pieces needed a trigger - something that initiated the journey, and a noticable alteration in the speaker's tonality. She said that it should invoke an emotional response from the marker - whether that be laughter or tears.

Hope that helped a little ...

Only 13 days left before AoS HSC!

jang

is not my real name
HSC
Question Biatch

how far can u go with being original?
like i saw this thread where some1 was askin if ne1 wrote a journal in the CSSA trial as an inanimate object <-- wtf?
wat i was thinkin of was like a story about full random shit.
do u reckn teachers like random post modern shit (less links to journey) or cliched stories(but with lots of links to journey)??

impulse_17

HSC
jang said:
do u reckn teachers like random post modern shit (less links to journey) or cliched stories(but with lots of links to journey)??
neither. they hate both.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
then what the hell do we write?

I got 13/15 for mine. I used the cliche of driving to a holiday house in queensland but I used very descriptive language and put a challenge in ther and made the people discover somethign about themselves... so cliches are fine as long as you make them not cliched... get it?

I was always told to keep it simple and to not make the story too complicated... eg post moern would require a lot of explaination before you start delivering your concept. So by using a cliche and making it different you will have a simple story thats easy to write and you can jump straight in to delivering your concept... get it?

anyhow if you want an example of creative writing PM me

Last edited:

skiguy_hsv

HSC
Studying for creative writing is hard. I think the best way to improve is to practice it heaps and get feedback on it.
Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the 2004 Independent Paper for journeys?

Mat

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
I have no probs with creative writing, that would be because I'm a writer, my teacher said you just have to come up with an original idea then express it creatively, this is easier for others. reading stories in the newspaper, looking at photos are great ways to give you ideas

Jessisbored

HSC
Im pretty good at thinking up interesting characters, im just crap at thinking of good plots which subtly show change. does everyone just brainstorm when they get in there? or do you have predetermined stories of a journey

skittlebrau

Any idea how long the creative writing should be? All year my teachers kept saying it needs to be of reasonable length simply so your story can develop, then in our trials it said, "Write approx. 400 words." I also got a copy of the ETA practice paper and they all say only to do 400 words.

Also, how imaginative can we be? I used a real cliche in my trials... did well because I used lots of figurative language, but I want to write something really imaginative. Even I found my story boring.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
jang said:
how far can u go with being original?
like i saw this thread where some1 was askin if ne1 wrote a journal in the CSSA trial as an inanimate object <-- wtf?
wat i was thinkin of was like a story about full random shit.

there's a difference between 'fully random' and 'postmodern random' ... the idea is if you've studied pomo you can differentiate and hence write in a postmodern style, not a totally random style. (depends on your interpretation of pomo, but that's how I believe they see it)

and yeah, inanimate objects are good. give them personalities, make it kind of obvious, and have a plot

pirate

hey, i'm in a bit of trouble at the moment, basically, i can write creative stories, but i never get any good feedback cause my teacher basically ignores me and stuff. i just wrote a creative story in like 20mins or so and it's around 650 words. my point is i want to try and write a really good creative writing piece really fast, but still getting good marks so i can spend more time ont he section three essay. is there anyone out there who could read my essay and basically mark it for me and give me some pointers, greatly appreciated

zelda

does anyone have any good examples of creating writing I could look at?? because im pretty weak when it comes to it ><

thanks

jimmik

HSC
Lexi said:
About journeys ---

Well - I got 14/15 for my first attempt at creative writing - Our Trials. I wrote about a friend of mine that had died when I was little, with music (the song they played at his funeral) being the trigger.

Our teacher told us that creative pieces needed a trigger - something that initiated the journey, and a noticable alteration in the speaker's tonality. She said that it should invoke an emotional response from the marker - whether that be laughter or tears.

Hope that helped a little ...

Only 13 days left before AoS HSC!
that sounds like a realli gud story, but how did u make a journey out of that? maybe im thinkin too much abt physical journeys since thats the one im doin n my teacher was like "u realli have to represent the physical journey, i want to see movement." it seems easier if u write abt an inner or imaginative journey but yeh. thanks for the tip

pirate

yeah my story was about a young boy who went down to the local lake. whilst there basically i described the beautiful lake and surroundings and he was hypnotised by the lake. then he hears this bang and crash and looks around to see these monsters (people) cutting down the trees. he takes a look and everything is dead. then he looks at his reflection and realises that he to is a monster. any thoiughts?

adinclik

HSC
Pirate, that's pretty, how could i say, well it's not really a cliche but... then what happens, what's the point?
U know what i mean?

camby

HSC
True, it needs a bit more of a point, but im sure you went further with it. With creative writing I believe the best technique is to use past experiences and write really passionately. Don't think that you will be marked down for being too emotional or what not in your writing. When you write with feeling it shows, for the trials, i waffled about what meant most to me, it was about music, and i simply discussed what I felt. Teachers will always say waffle is terrible, however, I believe that if you can connect this waffle to you plot it will be fine. Think of some ideas that you can adapt before you jump into the exam, otherwise simply adapt on the spot. Sure, you might expect it to be crap if you only thought of it on the spot, but thats how most creative pieces start right? :) </ramble>

I really should stop posting on here, i just ramble WAY too much.

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Pirate - that sounds like a gud story, mind me asking what you got for it?

I've done 2 so far, got a 10/15 (trials) and a 12/15 (other assesment)... i'm not complainin since i did the one i did for my trials was rushed off in about 10-15 minutes.

Beats

HSC
I write about a holiday. Turns out that's not a good thing to write about - but every time i try to do something new i slip back into the same story. Problem is that i am in no way creative- does anyone have a really basic idea for a journey that i could at least have in the back of my mind before i go into exam? Otherwise will spend 15 minutes tearing my hair out in exam- not a happy thought - so please help!

Wohzazz

HSC
Hmm Creative Writing. My worse section. I got 7.5/15 in the trials for a 30 minute job. My story was about child going to meet family member in the country and it was pretty emotional. Pretty cliche too. Damn i need help

BTW, does anyone think about the journeys concept when they write. I have a very superficial understanding of journeys so i kind of identify my concepts first.
Catalyst- seeing family member
Encounter- meeting some other kid on the way
Challenge- fear of meeting family member
etc. ahhh soo boring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)