Creative Writing: Ideas and Inspiration (1 Viewer)

Naji

the creative writing section is by far the worst for me :( does anyone have any decent ideas to use?? if u do please help. any ideas will be appreciated. im not very creative...

Lundy

Banned
HSC
A really good idea my teacher taught us was take a fairy tale (e.g. little red riding hood, three little pigs, etc), and take the basic idea of the plot, and modernise it. Because all those stories have universal themes that can be applied to anything when you skew it to fit a certain idea.

Like for example, one year someone took the story of rapunzel and made her a feminist.

Once you have your story planned, you can probably fit it into any question. It's best to have a good idea of what your story will be before you get to the exam.

dont know if that helps you at all

Last edited:

Benno

HSC
What is it that they want us to write about for this section? just be creative? i can do that. i could have aliens monsters romans and naked women in my story yet still get 8/15 what do they want!~

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Granted, the question was really easy. it gave you the line "things are different now...", and you had to reflect on the changes in your life or something along those lines. I had someone returning to their old school.

One of the keys is descriptive language...always use descriptive language.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i got 14/15 in the trial for this bit, and my creative writing skills are about .01 out of 10.
basically what i did (and my teacher told me this is prob what got me the marks) is i used LOTS of similes, metaphors, rhetorical questions, etc. we had a newspaper article talking about the pros and cons of technology, and my entire thing was basically all rhetorical questions.
thats pretty much what their looking for (use of similes, metaphors, and pretty much anything like that) and even if your ideas and writing are shit you will do reasonably well

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Your change could be as simple as lets say you moving house but it has to be DESCRIPTIVE. And have eloquent or sophisticated expression and good use of language techniques i.e. similes, metaphors, imagery, etc.. So the marker is drawn in by the powerful concept of change.
I know it sucks and I am as well unable to perform such a wonderful composition but damn hell I am gonna try!! I may as well throw in the naked ladies with the romans and monsters just for the sake of it as Benno suggested. At least it'll be a laugh for the marker and hopefully give me a high C for amusing him/her. :)

nerdd

yep. and don't make the change obvious.

ie. don't say "and this is what CHANGED me forever"

they should be able to pick up on it by your sophisticated language, expression, structure blahblabhablh.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Nezz
Now that you mention it hats prob not a bad idea.. i always try to make it really obvious by saying somthing directly about change, but it ends up sounding dumb... what sort of language do you use to do it in a more subtle way???
well just rem. some general quotes/statements about change...also know that change consists of a catalyst, journey and consequence...so u can show change through that as well...maybe restrict the amount of time u use change.

Pop Princess

Don't do the first idea that pops into your heads. Its best to have something original to stand out from the others. So don't do stuff like how the HSC changed your life etc.

iH

Oldie
HSC
I got 14/15 and 15/15 for Half-yearly/Trial Exams.

both creative story type things.

they're on my site in the writing section (www.wiredjazz.com) if anyone wants to have a look.

and by the way, it's quality not quantity. both were about 2 1/2 pages long (700 words ish total)

PM/e-mail me if u have any comments on the writing.

iH

iH

Oldie
HSC

yeah it's kinda postmodern
good way of doing a few things though
1) introducing a new medium
2) introducing a persona - allows you to do a lot of description as a writer type person
3) shows the change because she goes and writes about it..

dunno. i'm a writer thus i wrote as one. ;)
i'm a poet that's where the poetry comes from...i'm just hoping for a 'in any form' or 'in narrative form'...

glad ya liked it... i think they're decent for 40 minutes under pressure on the spot kinda things

iH

iH

Oldie
HSC
yeah though you can't always pick it... I can only pray for a story...Interview is alright but it means you have to think of a recent topic in the news or something. the writing is the easy part.

oh, just read through "Transformed" again....LISTEN TO MUSIC...it's one of the best creative sources. i ended up using me'shell ndegeocello lyrics in one part and they worked perfectly. even if u don't quote... ideas can be found!

Do some brainstorming, and write down everything you come up with (including stupid ideas), then go through and pick the best one.

Also next time try searching before creating a new one! Look how much stuff there is on creative writing already!

Last edited:

ndn

Creative writing used to be my strong point in earlier grades. But in my trial it was my worst section in both papers :mad:

One of our teachers said a good writer SHOWS change, but doesn't STATE it. For example, Gwen Harwood never says "Oh yeah and she changed from this to that," instead she represents change through language techniques.

HOWEVER I tried this for my trial and it was my worst section and one of my friends got 14/15 and he said he just stated change everywhere. I believe showing change is easiest to do using tone.

natsirk

Try to twist the question around, look at it laterally(if you've got the time). I always try to remember that the markers have to read creative writing from EVERYBODY in the state! Try to make your writing stand out! And, like Lundy said, use discriptive language.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)