Creative Writing Cliches (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Hahaha this thread is making me feel better.
Mine was about a Christian charity worker who loses her faith in god after visiting the refugee camps.
Lol.
I thought it was heaps shit and cliched.
Now i might have to reconsider.
Not as bad as the guy on this thread who wrote about cruising around at schoolies and picking up.

EDIT: Hope i don't get a Christian marker.

aimhigh10

HSC
"im going to kill all you characters... DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

aka an ending where all the characters die in the end
too cliche

tangotrace

SUPER HERO
HSC
yea... mine was a 16 year old girl escaping an abusive foster family... gets a lift with a 45y/o lady trucker to get to Perth from syd to try meet her mother then decides that Lori (truck driver) had been more of a mum to her than anyone ever had so they stay together and the "real journey only just begins".... obviously its better put together than that makes it sound but whatevs

WHARF

HSC
My story was about the end of the world. LOL

Lauren x

HSC
Mine was about a white duck who escaped his pen and travelled the world. But everywhere he went he was reminded of the little boy who took care of him back at home so he decided to return. The boy had named him Benson, but when his feathery friend returned he referred to him as his little curious traveller. Yeah i'm a bit weird.

Last edited:

Geohood

HSC
I'd like to thank Scorpion's Winds of Change... "walking down the street, distant memories are buried in the past forever".. alright it sounds better sung lol

Mumless

HSC
Lauren x said:
Mine was about a white duck who escaped his pen and travelled the world. But everywhere he went he was reminded of the little boy who took care of back at home so he decided to return. The boy had named him Benson, but when his feathery friend returned he referred to him as his little curious traveller. Yeah i'm a bit weird.
Lol that's gold...

Mine was lame, I was the commander of a group of troops in a foreign desert. Events happen with an individual learning to appreciate the situation. They fight vigorously with the enemy - but too vigorously. The enemies were really figurines and it was really myself and my son playing in a sand pit. Basically to make it fit the title of "The Curious Traveller" I then waffled on for a bit with the son asking questions and shit.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
And it was all a dream.

Top marks lulz.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Fuck losing marks for writing a clichè. It's entirely subjective, thus there is no rational basis for them to deduct any marks.

Imo, if you can formulate a well written, well planned piece of writing that demonstrates your understanding of the syllabus, you should get the marks regardless of wether it is "clichèd" or not.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
jasonml said:
Fuck losing marks for writing a clichè. It's entirely subjective, thus there is no rational basis for them to deduct any marks.

Imo, if you can formulate a well written, well planned piece of writing that demonstrates your understanding of the syllabus, you should get the marks regardless of wether it is "clichèd" or not.
Like you said, the marking is completely subjective. So starting that sentence with "imo" just defeated the purpose of writing it.

HSC
lol thats true my teacher told us the yr of he bali bombings she marked so many creative about it it bored her to death:D but shes a fair marker :) fortunate for u lot:p

Zippora

HSC
my creative writing included a soldier in the ww2 era (cliche)

however, does anyone know the scene in the film Atonement where Briony is told to go and sit by the french soldier and he is so dellusional that he thinks that she is his girlfriend and he is asking about her family and saying im so glad i found you bla bla.... and she goes along with it?

well..
i based my story a bit on that from a nurses perspective and she is looking after a soldier and he is talking about how he thought he would never see her again etc and he starts tlaking abotu their time before the war and then there is a flash back to this scene where they meet, and then it flashes back to the hospital scene and he dies and you realise that he was just a dellusional stranger who had mistaken her for his girlfriend and she (being so lonely) had allowed herself to believe that she was infact his girlfriend and the flashback had been her imaginative journey.. imagining their time together and what it felt like to be loved and stuff like that

does that sound cliche or no?

sorry that is a bit excessive, most people probably wont read it

.. my only concern is that i didnt convey it clearly enough and the end

HSC
Lauren x said:
Mine was about a white duck who escaped his pen and travelled the world. But everywhere he went he was reminded of the little boy who took care of him back at home so he decided to return. The boy had named him Benson, but when his feathery friend returned he referred to him as his little curious traveller. Yeah i'm a bit weird.
I like that, not at all cliched, also very motivating. What does the duck symbolise?

bao28

HSC
WHARF said:
My story was about the end of the world. LOL
LOL, its cliche'd but i bet no one else did this story LOL

k this thread has gg stories, LOL

HSC
Mine was about a little boy's Teddy Bear who was always curious and wondered what was beyond the little boy's bedroom. One day the boy took the bear outside his room, the bear then wondered what were in the other rooms, same thing happened, boy eventually to the the delight of the bear, took him there; having seen most of the house, the curious bear wondered what was outside the house until one day the bear's curiosity was satisfied with the boy taking him outside.

Little did the bear realise that the boy was growing and he was being thrown out. Lying among the trash, looking into the once little boy's bedroom...wondering what it would be like to be with the boy again.

bao28

HSC
kevinx2 said:
Mine was about a little boy's Teddy Bear who was always curious and wondered what was beyond the little boy's bedroom. One day the boy took the bear outside his room, the bear then wondered what were in the other rooms, same thing happened, boy eventually to the the delight of the bear, took him there; having seen most of the house, the curious bear wondered what was outside the house until one day the bear's curiosity was satisfied with the boy taking him outside.

Little did the bear realise that the boy was growing and he was being thrown out. Lying among the trash, looking into the once little boy's bedroom...wondering what it would be like to be with the boy again.
amazing but its even more amazing your story's bear has thoughts, lol but i guess thats what makes it an imaginative journey, nice man seriously, nice work lol, i think u kinda cut my story in 7 halves

JamesTockuss

HSC
My English teacher used to be a judge for the HSC - he told us of one that ended: 'I woke up, and then I died'

haha

snowconesyum

HSC
kevinx2 said:

wow... that is actually fantastic. such an awesome concept! reminds me of the velveteen rabbit a little bit (was that it's name? ive forgotten)

i just used some of my 4u story hehe :p tried to find a bit that fit 'journey'

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
topics that ARE cliched

- a story ending in '..i woke up and thank god it was a dream!'
- anything that screams of teen angst
- stories in which the writer has absolutely NO idea how the protagonist is feeling and so runs with stereotypes, over-emotion, wishy washy stuff (e.g. writing about divorce in which the writer has no experience whatsoever about it)

i find that the stories with the LEAST no of characters works better than a story with 1000000 characters as theres no time for character development.

snowconesyum

HSC
actually, i would love to end a story with "i woke up and it had all been a dream" just for fun one time. like a deadly serious story. and then just stick it on the end

one of my friend's did this amazing story where they basically filled it with as many cliches as they could, teachers said it was fun, postmodern and intertextual :p

i'll tell you what really annoys me in creative writing tho -
when people have melodramatic deaths.
and its pretty hard to not write death as cliched/overdramatic.
DEATH IS OFF LIMITS UNLESS U THINK U CAN DO IT WELL OK?
just my opinion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)