Creative Writing Cliches (1 Viewer)

mcquinn

HSC
mine was about a grandfather with his grandson reliving his journey on the kokoda trail. The son hates him cuz he drove his father away and wrecked his r/ship with his dad so storms off ahead and strands the grandad.
The grandfather then remembers the horrors he saw in the kokoda trail and replays his near death experience where an enemy soldier had a gun to his head. Instead of fighting back, he lies there and lets himself get killed because his grandson will have his dad back.
Flashforward to the grandson on his bed, the dad walks in and says they found their grandads body with a note saying "I love you Adam (grandsons name)" even tho he wasnt alive.

Pretty wacked idea and prob didnt go to enuf detail to get a decent mark, but it just hit me all at once...the stresses of the exams it must be!

thommy

HSC
N/A
kangms said:
I wrote a similar story to the Where the Wild Things are, where a kid goes on an imaginative journey. I done that in half yearlies and the teacher loved it and gave me a 13. On the other hand in trials, with a different teacher, i got 7, plus she wrote 'if you write this in the HSC you will get a instant zero'. i wrote a story where a kid takes a space cake (a brownie with marijuana, canabis and more) then gets high where he starts off an imaginative journey. I guess that is not allowed but i'm not sure if that was cliched (jimmy neutron, jumanji, where the wild things are have the same plot)
I hate it when you don't know where you stand with different markers. Last year, I know somebody who got 17/20 for a creative story in the half yearly, then with the exact same story in the yearly, got 6/15.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Mine was about a serial killer who spends half the story in reality and the other half inside his head. Hes trying to kill this little girl but his conscience keeps getting in the way when he drifts back into reality and realises the nature of what hes doing.

haaychlovesdan

KIK ASS PREMIUM MEMBER
HSC
im pretty sure the only cliche markers would get fed up with is the old "i woke up and it was a dream"
im sure they get that one alot

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
As long as it is not predictable I will find the story interesting, personally.

haaychlovesdan

KIK ASS PREMIUM MEMBER
HSC
thommy said:
I hate it when you don't know where you stand with different markers. Last year, I know somebody who got 17/20 for a creative story in the half yearly, then with the exact same story in the yearly, got 6/15.
i highly agree with this. My story i have been writing since the start of year 12 and modifying it to get better and better. In the half yealrlys i recieved13/15 . In the trials i got marked at 10/15 for it but i had modified the story to near perfection. My teacher who had previously read my story had loved it and took it back when he had found out that i had recieved 10. I finally got it remarked and recieved 14/15. The bottom line. Markers are so unpredictable.
i guess some just dont grasp the concept as well as others.

Geohood

HSC
I got my story marked 15/15 then 9/15 by another teacher for being 'too cliched, soppy and predictable'! *shivers*

Hysterik

HSC
My story was given 15++++/15 by my tutor for some reason. It's about a girl on a space shuttle to Mars. I'm not even joking. And it made my mum cry. Yep, I'm not sure either. So I'm hoping for a 15 in the exam? I would have thought that talking about space travel would be an ultimate cliche. But apparently not?

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
^ Actually that was one of the 4 stories I wrote in the year, and it was because my friend had suggested it. It was about a boy in a space travel :p

I don't know if it was cliched or not though, but since my friend had suggested it I avoided it.

wootwt

HSC
oh wow i wrote about space travel too.
Laika the space dog and space colonies and russia in the 50s etccc

money=marks

Banned
HSC
-may-cat- said:
Mine was about a serial killer who spends half the story in reality and the other half inside his head. Hes trying to kill this little girl but his conscience keeps getting in the way when he drifts back into reality and realises the nature of what hes doing.
wow a serial killer thats awsome, never seen a movie or read anything about a serial killer and the facts that he thinks bout what hes doing and stops? genius really I mean serial killers are normally very logical and reasonable people and very likely to revise their situation and decide not to kill the little girl (which I might add is again just a brilliant choice I mean a little girl as a victim, amazing).

Pedophiles

Banned
HSC
money=marks said:
wow a serial killer thats awsome, never seen a movie or read anything about a serial killer and the facts that he thinks bout what hes doing and stops? genius really I mean serial killers are normally very logical and reasonable people and very likely to revise their situation and decide not to kill the little girl (which I might add is again just a brilliant choice I mean a little girl as a victim, amazing).
*Sarcasm machine blows up*

PsycadelicShack

HSC
"... and then suddenly he woke up. It was all a dream."

I often thought how hilarious and how much of a shittake it'd be if the Harry Potter series ended like that. I'd laugh. But then again, I can't read.

phnuggle

HSC
lol..i think my creative writing was very unique in the sense that it wasnt a human as a curious traveller but it was a dove...it was about a liberated dove who finds its way to the city and is drawn to its beauty of bright lights and constant motion..but her curiousity of what lies in the city ends up killing her (i was trying to personify the dove through out my creative writing)...i thought i nailed that section..i think =S?? hoping for a 13-15 maybe?

HSC
i got 13/15 for it then for trials i got a 9/15... tht goes to show i suppose that it varies on the person who reads it....

i hope they dont think mine was a dream... i didnt write then i woke up or anything but i had
something like "the door shattered to announce his arrival, i recoiled on the floorl, my face placcid once more. Oh! How i wish these legs could carry me away!"

i had things about legs and scars in there... its alittle cliche tho ran out of time and had my character sitting on a train and mets an old plump women etc etc *sigh* i suppose it is a little cliche

HSC
phnuggle said:
lol..i think my creative writing was very unique in the sense that it wasnt a human as a curious traveller but it was a dove...it was about a liberated dove who finds its way to the city and is drawn to its beauty of bright lights and constant motion..but her curiousity of what lies in the city ends up killing her (i was trying to personify the dove through out my creative writing)...i thought i nailed that section..i think =S?? hoping for a 13-15 maybe?
that sounds really interesting:D nnn creative too! reminds me of that i think it was a hans Christiansen story, of that statute who had emotions and a bird sacrificed himself for him in the end.... lol cant remember...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)