Craptastic predicted UAI (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
its harder to get a whole swag of interviews with a uai under 99, but a good UMAT plus some real evidence that you are desperate to be a doctor for something other than money, power and cute nurses (the usual volunteer community service, other extra-curicular stuff) im sure they will recognise that.

Last edited:

saz.10

HSC
hey look - i was in the same situation as you and didnt receive a first round interview, but i was offered a 2nd round and myself and 4 others who i met at the interview were offered spots, although mine was bonded and i decided to wait a yr to re-sit the umat (mine was dismal). so dont lose heart.

also, some schools overpredict their students performance, which can knock out a couple of the first round people

just try and focus on the umat and your hsc - it will come together

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
Could people that don't have a clue what they are talking about STFU? There is so much misinformation in this thread that it should be burned and it's ashes pissed on.

Hurri

HSC
Antler agreed!

exhibit A

blackfriday said:
its harder to get a whole swag of interviews with a uai under 99....
WRONG! your actual UAI plays no part in first round interviews with UNSW, Monash, UNCLE, Adelaide, UWA. which are the major unis people apply to i believe? (excluding melb coz they dont have interviews).

And even if you meant predicted UAI, that still only excludes UNSW. All the others look at UMAT ONLY for first round interviews.

stainmepink

HSC
Hurri said:
Antler agreed!

exhibit A

WRONG! your actual UAI plays no part in first round interviews with UNSW, Monash, UNCLE, Adelaide, UWA. which are the major unis people apply to i believe? (excluding melb coz they dont have interviews).

And even if you meant predicted UAI, that still only excludes UNSW. All the others look at UMAT ONLY for first round interviews.
how can that be true? are you saying that they only take into account your UMAT score alone, just as long as you pass by the 95 uai predicted mark to even get an interview? i might be misunderstanding what your saying. btw, are you doing med right now?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Well Hurri, that's sorta a dumb thing to say. How can your actual UAI affect your chance for first round interviews? Your UAI isn't released before the first round interviews for all of those unis u listed.

But it's true for the UMAT only for first round.

HSC
gobaby said:
i swear my career advisor is dodgy; she isn't scaling our raw marks. instead she's just plugging our raw marks (from our assessments) into SAM. but either way, i've talked to the head teachers etc, they aren't going to scale us. im pretty sure she is dodgy as last year the other careers advisor gave me an estimate of 98 and i haven't fallen ranks at all.
um yeah. unless your career advisor is the entire board of studies disguised within a human being, she can't scale your marks for you. it's not because she's dodgy, it's just how it works.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
sikeveo said:
Well Hurri, that's sorta a dumb thing to say. How can your actual UAI affect your chance for first round interviews? Your UAI isn't released before the first round interviews for all of those unis u listed.

But it's true for the UMAT only for first round.
sikeveo: its not that dumb.. especially if u have never applied to med schools!
the process is so long that unless uve done it before.. its quite a task for the avg yr 12 student
i did it 3 yrs ago and i wouldnt want to do it again

gobaby:
hurri is a UQ MBBS/BSc student... the program is structured similar to the Usyd one :) i.e u do the Science degree first and then u get certain concession for their grad program..

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
hurri said:
your actual UAI plays no part in first round interviews with UNSW, Monash, UNCLE, Adelaide, UWA.
sikeveo said:
Well Hurri, that's sorta a dumb thing to say. How can your actual UAI affect your chance for first round interviews?
Am I missing something?

Hurri

HSC
gobaby said:
how can that be true? are you saying that they only take into account your UMAT score alone, just as long as you pass by the 95 uai predicted mark to even get an interview? i might be misunderstanding what your saying. btw, are you doing med right now?
Adelaide and Newcastle don't look at predicted UAIs. They'll give out first round interviews purely based on UMAT.

You'll do your interviews and when the UAIs are released they'll simply cull anyone under approx 93. The people are above 93 gets ranked in order by interviews alone.

Just in case i'm not clear enough.
assume all 3 person (A,B and C) have gotten a high enough UMAT for an interview

............... Person A........Person B...........Person C
UAI.............99.4.................94.....................83
Interview....crap............awesome..........awesome
offers:..........no...................yes....................no

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Not quite true - some unis, including UNSW, do combine UMAT and predicted UAI when giving out first round interviews, which are held in the September holidays. For second round interviews, they use UMAT and real UAI. However, for a given UMAT mark, the necessary UAI to get an interview in either round is similar, but obviously if you get a much better UAI than your school predicted then you get a chance.

UNSW usually puts out something like this, which I had forwarded to me by a friend who applied there last year:

UAI and UMAT scores required for interview
Listed below are the minimum predicted UAI and actual UMAT scores that applicants needed to achieve to be offered an interview in September.

* If the sum of the 3 UMAT scores (the actual mark not the percentile rank) was 151 the predicted UAI to obtain an interview was 100.
* If the combined UMAT (as defined above) was 163 the predicted UAI to obtain an interview was 99.50.

This Table gives other cut off scores:

Actual UMAT - Predicted UAI required for offer of main round interview
151 - 100.0
163 - 99.5
173 - 99.0
188 - 98.0
194 - 97.0
205 - 96.0
212 - 95.0
Apologies for the poor formatting.

Keep in mind that UNSW, although not necessarily the best med school in Aust, is definitely one of the most applied to and most competetive to get into, so those numbers don't necessarily represent other unis but they give an idea.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Mervynn, UNSW is the only uni that does that. Since no other unis ask for predictions.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Trev said:
My friend got a first round interview last year, the school estimated basically everyone who was applying for medicine that they would recieve 95+, but she got 91.10 (from memory, it was definately low 91.xx). She got in, she must of went extremely well in the interview and she definately kicked ass in the UMAT (her percentile average was 94ish).
I remember hearing ppl whinge that our school only gave out a standard UAI estimate of 95+ (for all students) which reduced their chances of getting an interview... I wonder how truthful that is, because in the end, not many people from my grade (5 or so i think?) got into UNSW Medicine.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Why not just do any old degree, then go into graduate medicine or whatever it's called? It takes the same amount of time, and you end up with the same qualification.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
sikeveo said:
Mervynn, UNSW is the only uni that does that. Since no other unis ask for predictions.
yeah true, but the first post and many of the other posts have been referring to unsw with vary degrees of misinformation so i was trying to clear things up.

5 people from one year of a school is actually quite a lot in unsw med...

Nebuchanezzar said:
Why not just do any old degree, then go into graduate medicine or whatever it's called? It takes the same amount of time, and you end up with the same qualification.
not quite, minimum time after school for graduate med is 7-8 years depending what you did first, undergrad is 5-6 except if you combine with arts or med sci hons. It's also as competetive, if not more so, than undergrad med. scary.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i agree cos firstly
-u sit a sci/comm assessment test (GAMSAT)
-your in a 4 yr course..when undergrads do 5-6 yrs and they rush through it too. .so 4 yrs is still v.difficult..
-in undergrad entry.. u compete with yr 12's and some other undergrads.. and few grads (usually just bachelors)
vs
in grad entry.. bachelor degrees are the minimum.. ppl with masters, doctorates, etc and other life experiences also compete

Trev

stix
HSC
lala2 said:
Geez, what uni did she get into? It can't have been Newcastle because their cutoff is 93 and UNSW is 95. Yes, UMAT is what matters since it sounds as though the threadstarter's school can't be relied on. If you kill UMAT and then the interview, you'll get in.
She got into THREE Uni's.
First round offer she got into Newcastle, and she got into first round at Monash aswell. She declined the Newcastle offer in hope of getting into UNSW second round, and she did. She deferred both offers for this year, and still hasn't decided on which uni to go to yet.

Trev

stix
HSC
seremify007 said:
I remember hearing ppl whinge that our school only gave out a standard UAI estimate of 95+ (for all students) which reduced their chances of getting an interview... I wonder how truthful that is, because in the end, not many people from my grade (5 or so i think?) got into UNSW Medicine.
We only had 2 get offers, the other girl got 95.50 (I think).
There was only 1 person I know of that didn't get a UAI estimate of 95+ and she ended up with one of the top UAI's at the school.

Hurri: Are you on campus at UQ, if so which one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)