• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cram/Consistency? which is better (1 Viewer)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
As the title suggests...which is better?

people say that cramming works...yeah no joke...but do you mean cramming as in cram in a few weeks b4 your exam with notes that have been prepared for you? Like notes from the resources section/ purchased notes or actually writing the notes in advance then cramming all the info within the last 3-4 so weeks.

Same applies to the consistency theory.... studying and reflecting what you did in class that day...but does this involve writing notes as well? Would revising bits of prepared study notes each night help? would that be considered as being consistent too?

personally, i am use to cramming but also revising my prepared notes once that core section has been completed like how theres 4 sections to each subject. But at the same time i look over my work i did that day... making sure that i understand the concept and doing all my homework.....

..COMMENT PLZ!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
A combination of both, consistently putting the effort to create notes, read them and understanding the concepts in the subject throughout the year, then studying in the weeks and days before the exam to make sure you know what's in the subject and the areas you are going to be tested in. This should help you get the marks that you want and need.

Personally, I go for cramming, because I'm just too damn lazy to consistently apply effort throughout the year :eek:

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
yeah, I think if you could be bothered to do a combination you'd do great, but I stick to cramming.... I'm too lazy to be consistent

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
cram the weeks/days before the HSC and youll be amazed at how much you manage to remember, but youll feel like crap during the exam period.

just do whatever works for you, but personally the things that i covered briefly +5 times seemed to stay with me longer than the things i covered thoroughly but only once or twice.

also i found that recalling your study notes while you have a nap or before you go to bed can do wonders, since it gives you a realisation of the things that you "half-know", allowing you to cover specific material a 2nd time and fill in the blanks. if you cant remember something while in the comforts of your bed with a clear mind then you probably arent going to remember it during a test.

once you know that you know something, youll never forget it.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
oh cool! thanks heaps!
i cbb writing notes myself
so i guess its cramming b4 exams for me and substantially studying on a daily basis...
felt a bit uncertain with everyone saying dont cram but rather consistency all the way but yeah now i see
THANKS!

Sofstar

HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
i hate cramming.
it makes me stressed and then i can't think at all.
i think i'm going for the consistency strategy.
well... i'm going to try anyway.
and we'll just see what happens. :eek:
I'm the same. I get too stressed out come about 2 weeks before an exam (maths and yearlys big time) and just feel the need to start working. But i can see how cramming helps when you're under pressure and are forced to remember what you're trying to remember.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i think cramming means cramming notes that you've prepared before, so its not entirely cramming.

coz if you're MAKING notes in the few weeks up to the exams, thats quite screwd. if you dont have notes at that point - cram in the true sense.

but i would be with soulsearcher - its a bit of both. even if you're someone who only retains info for short amounts of time and think crammin works better, i'd think having the consistency behind that crammin would be the key to gettin good grades :)

imo crammin works well when you're working with something you've already gone over b4.

ie cramming = goodish.
consistency = really good
consistency + cramming = great. :p

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
While the obvious answer is combination of Consistency and Cramming, I can't say that I personally adhere to this though as I've only done the latter.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
i adore cramming.
it just seems to work for me, especially in junior years [ie <= 10].
I'd do everything the night/two nights before and still get a really, really good mark [top 5 in grade..]
But ive found that in 11 and 12, there is just way too much content to do the night before...
so what i plan to do is make sureim up to sratch with homework and that i summarize at end of every topic.
Then when it comes to exams ill start condensing my notes, to bare minimums etc...
hopefully then it will set in.
This seems to be an approach advocated by kids who got 99+ that i pm'd to find out hints and tips...
Apparently if u work throughout the year you can get bored etc...
It depends on you and ur demeanor...
i know for myself i need a certain degree of stress to open that central part of my brain.
ive only every really used short term for studying [besides some other examples]

Season

HSC
Depends on the subject, I can't cram for the hard subjects. I need to practise and thoroughly understand the concepts for say physics if I wish to have any hope of doing well with the competition...

but say biology or business studies... don't think I've ever written any notes apart from the night before

bos1234

HSC
consistency man..
no WAY cramming

unless u do subjects like biology where u can memorise the day b4

maths physics chem lets c u try and cram.. u'll b stuffed uncless ur brain can absorb information fast (super speed)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
yeah for stuff like maths, cramming is just plain no.

stuff like SOR, even modern...very heavy theory based subjects might be crammable.....

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
-pari- said:
yeah for stuff like maths, cramming is just plain no.

stuff like SOR, even modern...very heavy theory based subjects might be crammable.....
I totally agree on not cramming for maths. The more thoery subjects you can try to work your way around in a test but consistency througout the year then night-before cramming is best. :)

IceOnFire

HSC
-pari- said:
coz if you're MAKING notes in the few weeks up to the exams, thats quite screwd. if you dont have notes at that point - cram in the true sense.
Hahaha I did that for my preliminary final exams.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
-pari- said:
I was making notes the day before an actual exam for my prelims. Seemed to work well for some subjects and not others. It worked gret for physics but not Biology. :D

bos1234 said:
maths physics chem lets c u try and cram.. u'll b stuffed uncless ur brain can absorb information fast (super speed)
Unless you have an awesome cramming techniques that has be honed since year 7. :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
The thing about any method of studying including craming is there are some many methods and ways of doing it and not any one way students will use. One persons method and definition of cramming could be completely different to anyother and yet they both might work well for eachother.

Of course in an ideal world consistency is the best but we all know the year 12 and the HSC doesn't always have the most ideal situations for study or assessment completion. My advice to you is to do whatever works well for you, whatever that maybe. Some other students may disagree but if it works for you then I say stick with it.

Hence why some people say not to make notes at the least minute however for some that works just as well as it helps them remember everything they are writing. Basically my main point is it's up to you to decided and do it.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Cramming is like eating a Mars Bar when you're hungry, it's not very filling but provides you with lots of energy, but since Mars Bars are high GI, it fades pretty quickly.

Consistency would be like eating healthy food, and it'll provide slow release energy. :)

So cramming is the quick way, but it's not as good as REAL food.

:\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)