cost of driving instructors (1 Viewer)

cuppy

HSC
N/A
so how much do u pay for a driving lesson?

i heard it ranges from $35-$50 an hour.

wyho

HSC
N/A
tell ur dad to teach ya, not worth it for those people making this much money. i had one lesson of $30 an hour before i told my dad to teach me.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
i think i had one lesson for $45.........I think you'll find $45-$50 is the norm (this is in the penrith/blue mountains area, could be cheaper in metropolitan sydney)

But try to learn as much as you can from your parents and only get a lesson or two before you go for your test to make sure you're up to scratch on all the road rules.

aussiechica7

HSC
get say half a dozen professional driving lessons, maybe 4 at the start, and 2 just b4 u sit your exam for your next level up (P's, etc.). the rest of the lessons, find a family member 2 do it with

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I guess it would depend on your parents and your situation. Some parents teach their kids bad habits etc.

You should expect to pay from anywhere between $35-$50 an hour.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
aussiechica7 said:
get say half a dozen professional driving lessons, maybe 4 at the start, and 2 just b4 u sit your exam for your next level up (P's, etc.). the rest of the lessons, find a family member 2 do it with
Agreed. That's pretty much what I did. The driving instructor at the end is important because they know the route/course AND they are good at being anal over everything.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
yeh my dad is teaching me at the moment but i'm thinking of getting an instructor for a few lessons to help with my confidence and make me feel more comfortable behind the wheel.

i've had several hours driving with my dad and i still get nervous and i'm always doubting whether i'm even driving 'properly' ..if that makes any sense ><

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Dw u make perfect sense. I think parents can be good at teaching you to drive, but instructors are good at teaching you to pass. That's the difference.

7th Sign

HSC
I did like 5 lessons before my test just to get a different perspective from another driver, cost $40 a lesson.

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
My instructor charges $50 an hour - my instructor before him was charging $60 an hour (I didn't like him and he had a shitty old car). (This is in Sydney's Northern Beaches)

Get as many lessons as you can afford - instructors are heaps more pedantic about your driving compared to learning with a parent. Have a lesson a week or more if you can, and then go out driving with a parent too. If the instructor is shit or makes you feel really nervous then give them the flick and try another instructor. Also check out the pass rates for driving schools on the RTA website. :)

My instructor also said he gets a lot of learners who only want a couple of lessons before taking their test, and that it can be difficult to remember all the rules in such a short time.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the price is dependent on how far away you live from the instructor. For me, I lived about a 10min drive so he charged me $40/hr; but someone who lived on his street was only $35/hr. He was asian, drove an ordinary automatic Corolla, but... he was very good at explaining things with weird lame metaphors (eg. to remember to indicate on exiting a round-about, stick your finger out like "kung fu"? o_O... hard to explain, and it didn't really make sense- but you remembered it.)

Anyway, I tended to avoid the professional schools. My sister was paying much more than me at one of them and she had some old lady who wasn't very good at telling her she was doing careless things which would be an issue in the test.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i have a friend who pays $30/hour but their instructor is a family friend.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i doubt many people would pay for EVERY hour they did. even if parents dont want you to drive their car, i'm sure there's pleanty of friends/relatives who'll give you a couple of lessons

hmmmm...

angel01
HSC
I'd recomend you have atleast 8 or so hours with a driving instructor, so you remember everything and have atleast one or two b4 u book ur test so they can tell u if ur ready or not...i heard its easier to pass ur ps if u go with a driving instructor beacuse the testing officers know u hav been taught proper road rules, and that the instructor is confident in u passing, cause if u fails that affects their company pass/fail record.

HSC
can someone tell me where i can find a good driving instructors for a cheap price inbetween $30 - $35 .. i live in penrith area

because i heard most pplz ask about $45 +

so yea i just wanna do about 8 to 10 classes then i can get help from my family so yea

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
GaNgStAz 4 LiF3 said:
can someone tell me where i can find a good driving instructors for a cheap price inbetween $30 - $35 .. i live in penrith area

because i heard most pplz ask about $45 +

so yea i just wanna do about 8 to 10 classes then i can get help from my family so yea
I don't think anybody would charge as little as $35...6-7 years ago I had my L's and was paying $40 back then. Now i'm on my L's again (after first L's expiring) and I pay $50 an hour, which is a great price - normally $60 is standard in my area.

bizadfar

HSC
Instructors are good, in that they tell you exactly what you need to do in your test to pass. My weaknesses were smoothness at the roundabouts (indicating in/out. I use to steer in, then take a hand off the wheel to indicate in/out which will probably fail you in the Ps test), and I use to steer in a "illegal" way (put hand inside the wheel) which is what my dad does and still does.
But get a few lessons at the beginning to build on what you are suppose to do. Then a few lessons right before your test. (so you are warmed up and ready)

With me, it was hard. I learnt alot of bad habits, and had to spend alot more in the lessons preparing for the upcoming ps test.

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
If youre short on money, you could always get your parents or your extended relatives to teach you for the first 40 hrs or so, then for the last 10, get a professional instructor to help you on how to pass your p's for the first time very comfortably

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)