Copying sample answers from trial papers question? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Is it classed as plagiarism if I use a sample answer from CSSA (and assuming the same question comes in hsc) if I copy the exact sample answer from the marking guideline sample answer? Or is it ok?

mreditor16

HSC
Is it classed as plagiarism if I use a sample answer from CSSA (and assuming the same question comes in hsc) if I copy the exact sample answer from the marking guideline sample answer? Or is it ok?
simply put, dw bout it, you'll get away with it.

this is the sciences, where you explain scientific concepts (and people do get away with roting in this regard). its not english, where the individual's ideas and how they express them is what you're being marked on.

although I would not recommend the process you're describing - the best thing is to understand all the concepts, and then learn how to apply them. this will place you as most ready, especially for those harder, conceptual questions, which the average student won't even know where to start ....

tl;dr --> it's okay, but i recommend against it (unless it's something like BCS theory in phys...)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
simply put, dw bout it, you'll get away with it.

this is the sciences, where you explain scientific concepts (and people do get away with roting in this regard). its not english, where the individual's ideas and how they express them is what you're being marked on.

although I would not recommend the process you're describing - the best thing is to understand all the concepts, and then learn how to apply them. this will place you as most ready, especially for those harder, conceptual questions, which the average student won't even know where to start ....

tl;dr --> it's okay, but i recommend against it (unless it's something like BCS theory in phys...)
Yeah true that, thanks.
It's mainly for the long response questions where they look for specific stuff and it's always the same in marking criterias so yeah I guess it's not too bad to use it.

photastic

HSC
Yeah true that, thanks.
It's mainly for the long response questions where they look for specific stuff and it's always the same in marking criterias so yeah I guess it's not too bad to use it.
I would use the sample answers to structure a cohesive response rather than memorising it. Roting in science is probably harder than roting maths tbh :p

photastic

HSC
ok
1. Why would you rote maths
2. Why would you rote an entire CSSA paper and fill your brain with questions that you may not even come across
Not sure with maths but you can simply memorise the answers that will be in the exam I suppose :S

HSC
Yeah true that, thanks.
The long responses in chem and bio (not sure about physics but probably would apply) requires you to deviate from the question as well in order to achieve full marks. The marking criteria for most of the questions requires you to talk about EVERYTHING related to that specific question. I remember a sample answer for a CSSA chem paper, the question was something along the lines "Evaluate the effectiveness of a named CFC." Legit, the question was answered in the last two lines, before that it was all about what CFC's are, how they are harmful, effects of ozone depletion, blah blah

v1

HSC
Not worth memorising to get 1 question right. Only worth memorising very specific dot points with no theory

Understand how it works, learn the jargon/style of answering (with diagrams/equations etc) + format it similar to these exemplar answers = 7/7

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Use the sample answers to follow the structure of longer responses.. that's what I do for chem.

HSC
Just know how to structure your response through sample answers but don't copy their response

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Keep in mind the marking guidelines and sample answers for trial examinations may not necessarily be indicative of how the exact same questions would be marked for the HSC examination itself.
Use it as a guide as some of the sample answers / marking guidelines are horrible!
Example in this years CSSA Physics paper, the verb used for a 6 marker was discuss, but according to the marking criteria, all you needed to do was describe stuff to get 6/6 -- I changed this marking guideline along with several other teachers who used the CSSA paper.
So, be careful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)