contiki (1 Viewer)

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Has anyone been on a contiki tour? I'm thinking of going on one to Europe next year, if I can save enough. I've heard some people say they are awesome, and some its not worth it.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
I'd like to go on one of those tours oneday.
My cousin went on one to Europe and he had a great time, I think he wanted to go again aswell.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I've heard they are great as well, a guy I work with went on one to Europe and had an awesome time.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
ive been looking at holiday packages and trips around the world
etc etc...
but i have no one to go with...that can afford it or has free time or is allowed..

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I want to go on a Contiki Europe tour at the end of this year!

kirabolton

HSC
I'm going on a winter contiki tour at the end of this year and am so excited. I actually disagree with those who say these tours are a rip off coz they're not unless you have free accomadation in countries. If you actually go out and research how much stuff costs such as train tickets ( for a continuous pass for a month your looking at over a grand ) then add onto that accomadation, food, entry fee to sights and your looking at similar, if not higher, costs. The advantage of going on a contiki tour is that your taken to all the sights that most tourists want to see anyway - with a real tour guide - without getting lost, and then your given your own time in places anyway. If you're unsure where in europe you want to see then these tours are good because you get to see a lot of different places. I'm going to France, Spain, Italy, germany, Austria, Switzerland and Holland on a 24 day tour, and because it's winter we stay in good accomadation. I got an early bird discount on my tour and it ended up costing me about 2600 for the tour. This is a really good price so before people judge the tours they should probably reseach how much stuff costs. I'm aware that a lot of people can backpack europe cheaply if they plan on working, but it's not that easy to get work - its especially difficult to get a working visa in the first place. Anyway, thats my input.

kirabolton

HSC
natstar said:
The contiki trip i was intereste din was the largest tour around Europe and costs around 6k pp for 32 days at 11 countries. This doesent include the air fare whic is about 2k.

That's because it is the 'European Explorer' and it's one of the expensive tours that stays in top accomadation. You could go on a 35 day camping tour for $2900, it all depends on how you want to travel. If you wanted to stay in top accomadation during your travels the prices contiki offer are those you'd be looking at for individual travel. Mind you, if you have friends over Europe, as you said you did, than by all means, scab accomadation - that's what i'm planning on doing.

kirabolton

HSC
Master Yoda said:
yea nice work u seem 2 hav thought it thru pretty logically and all

but im hoping ur not going on a european camping tour in the middle of their winter

oh they don't even run them during the winter so it's no problem. I'm going on a 24 day tour which cost me with discounts 2600 which is pretty good actually.

EDIT: i just realised i'd already mentioned that, i am just excited and it's during winter so it was relevent..sort of.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I've never been a fan of the tours. I've been to Europe quite a few times and I've found that simply getting a eurail pass and floating around europe on your own accord is what suited me, especially when I wanted to get to places such as Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Belarus and the rest of eastern and northern europe... but a contiki tour is great if you just want to do the london, paris, milan journey.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
The thing with contiki is there are sort of hidden costs...not all the meals are included but where is really adds up is the optional excurions such as river cruises in amsterdam, trip up jungfrau in switzerland, museums, beer houses and these end up being pretty expenisve, and its all good and well to say you can do these things independantly, however contiki accomodation is generally always 20+ minutes bus drive from the city centre, let alone trying to get anywhere by public transport in a foreign country.

It really just depends, if you are not excessively independant and lack organisation skills and have some money, i would recommend contiki however if you like your freedom and sleep i could say go alone and buy a eurail pass (very worth the money) Travelling independantly does add up though, hostels are comparatively cheap but generally cost minimum $40 a night....its all relative i suppose

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
otay said:
yeah exactly right. Altho u can get much cheaper accomodation than $40 a night. i have consistently been able to find a bed for about 10 euros a night. And public transport is better in europe than anywhere in the world, altho in sum of the large cities the networks can be a bit confusing

I think the cheapest i had was 14 euros.
The problem with contiki was the places we stayed were pretty much in the middle of nowhere, hence the lack of public transport. Where we stayed in italy it was a 25 minute walk to a train station, and then a half hour bus or something into rome. AND because the places are so isolated buses were few and far between and stopped early so if you wanted to stay out....

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Whats the conversion like for euro to AU $ ? (Like, when you were saying it was ~10 euro for accomodation)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
So 10 euro's a night is just short of $16? Thats pretty good!

mishka

HSC
N/A
i've always thought contiki tours would be a great way to get a taste of overseas countries, however, i don't think i would fit in with the whole "youth party" scene. i've heard that the visits to cities are very short and while you get to see it, it's not quite the same as spending a few days really looking around. i've also heard of drunken nights, which defeats the purpose of "exploring" - who would want to face bustling london with a hangover??? :p

however, i do think it provides a perfect opportunity for social-type people in that they meet people from all sorts of places and get a taste for overseas travel :)

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Contiki pretty much if partying hard until 4 am and getting up at 6 to go to the next city....talking personal experience here so hmmmmm

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
I have heard people say they are awesome as well.
Great way to make friends.. if you can afford it.
I think a couple of my friends are going to ibiza or somewhere like that at the end of the year.. hardcore ravers lol.
Anyone who said they were going to go have experiences to share? Anyone actually booked for one soon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)