Conics: equation of chord proof (need help please) (1 Viewer)

IAU001

HSC
this is in the cambridge 4 unit textbook on pg 89 under the subheading 'ellipse'. i dont understand how they got from LHS to middle, and then from middle to RHS. im really weak in trig and dont understand how they did anything in this step. :confused:

Affinity

HSC
LHS to middle.. it's a trig identity.. look up something along the lines of sums to products

Mid to RHS.. hmm you should be able to see this.

IAU001

HSC
Affinity said:
LHS to middle.. it's a trig identity.. look up something along the lines of sums to products

Mid to RHS.. hmm you should be able to see this.
oohhhh these ones:

thanks affinity. but nope i still dont see whats going on from middle to RHS :confused: suck at trig.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
u need to know a couple more trig identities, i think they should be in the 3U Fitzpatrick book

lolman12567

HSC
Middle to RHS isnt trig, its just 2sin and -2sin cancelling. leaving a minus which goes infront of b/a.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
it isnt taught in 3U, that is a definite, BUT it is still in the syllabus. ALL u need to do is use point gradient formula to find the equation of the chord, but halfway through ur working u will get

(something - something)/(something + something) {i cant really remember wat it was but i can remember it was in this form.
Then u should apply ur trig identities.

this is only 4U

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)