• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Conflicting Perspective Julius Caesar (1 Viewer)

Kupo

HSC
Hi guys, I've got this assignment on the very last day of this term, so I don't really understand what the questions is asking for because I wasn't able to ask the teachers.

My first assessment is an essay 800 - 1000 words. I'm not strong with essay so I want to start from the beginning, How do I structure the essay? Here is the question for my essay

"Conflicting perspectives on a personality, event or situation conveys much more than a simple knowledge of the truth"

- Assess the validity of this statement against your understanding of your prescribed text and two other related text

My second assessment is an interview. I was wondering how would I answer these questions. 1 and half minute per question.

1. What have been the most valuable insights you have gained from studying this module?
2. which event or personality was crucial in shaping your understanding of what the concept of conflicting perspectives mean?
3. What influences have acts of representation of your prescribed text and one other related text had on representing conflicting perspectives?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
When people ask 'how do I structure my essay?' - I really don't understand what you mean - don't you always structure an essay in paragraphs?

As for 'how would I answer these questions?' - just answer them. I'm not sure what you mean....

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
When people ask 'how do I structure my essay?' - I really don't understand what you mean - don't you always structure an essay in paragraphs?

As for 'how would I answer these questions?' - just answer them. I'm not sure what you mean....
When someone says structure they mean do you do it text by text or do you try and do it all texts in one paragraph or do something a bit more complicated (which sorta lacks structure) like going one text, then second and compare to text one, then third text compared to both text one and two.

My first assessment is an essay 800 - 1000 words. I'm not strong with essay so I want to start from the beginning, How do I structure the essay? Here is the question for my essay
Lucky for you I was working on my CP essay this morning so my knowledge is somewhat fresh! I went text by text. First JC then related 1 then related 2 however within the paragraphs I compared the manner composers took to strengthen their perspective. So in JC, Brutus uses his status while Antony uses his evidence.

From there get into the actual text. Your thesis should also be based around that.

My second assessment is an interview. I was wondering how would I answer these questions. 1 and half minute per question.

1. What have been the most valuable insights you have gained from studying this module?
2. which event or personality was crucial in shaping your understanding of what the concept of conflicting perspectives mean?
3. What influences have acts of representation of your prescribed text and one other related text had on representing conflicting perspectives?
So you're probably looking at almost 250 words per question? In all honestly I liked the module and the way it made me think however writing the essay was a bitch haha. I learned how speakers simply convince their audience. Take for example President Obama. What does he do to get his audience on side? It is clear in every one of speeches he has that raised intonation to emphasise points. Also the repitition of "yes we can" really got the crowd in unison. Stuff like that. Just ramble on about how you are probably able to now construct more persuasive speeches and understand what makes a work persuasive and successful just through this module.
For question 2, it was for me that between my relateds I discovered what shaped my understanding of what conflicting perspectives meant. Essentially it was that whilst both composers can show evidence and back it up with a very logical argument, probably something even more important is the medium of production and whether at the end of the day you look at the text and go, "wow thats quite true". If you don't take anything away from a text then its not going to be very effective at all now is it? This sorta ties to question 3 as well.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
OK, thanks for that clintmyster - I'd recommend doing it text by text, rather than a mixed fruit salad. As clint said, it loses a structure, and your argument gets lost in the deciphering of which text is which.

Kupo

HSC
There is a misunderstanding for what I was asking. The 3 questions has nothing to do with the essay, its just interview questions, teacher to student not an essay. but that is ok. i think i got the interview part. but the essay. I need to know what its asking for.

"Conflicting perspectives on a personality, event or situation conveys much more than a simple knowledge of the truth"

- Assess the validity of this statement against your understanding of your prescribed text and two other related text

Thats the questions. forget about the other 3 questions. Im wondering what is this qusetion asking for. and how i would set each point or structure if u know wat i mean.

jellybelly59

HSC
Jesus.... kupo what is the question asking for? Break down the question...

The quote is straight forward.

Assess= Make a judgment of value, quality, outcomes, results or size
validity = to what extent is this true in your prescribed and related....

Oh and btw had you carefully read clint's response earlier he said 250 words per question and he was referring to his own essay... not yours. Why would an essay be 250 words?

Clint's already told you about how he did his structure....and if that doesn't satisfy you then aerath also had a response.

Here's a scaffold of Clint's structure:

Intro
JC
Related 1
Related 2
Conclusion

comparing JC +R1 +R2 in those same paragraphs. You can't get any more straight forward then that unless you want a thesis and topic sentences written out for you.

YEAROFTHESHARK

HSC
I Don't see how mixing the texts into one paragraph complicates or is detrimental to the thesis od your essay. If anything, if done properly, it gives the essay more structure

There's a simple structure

Introduce conflicting perspective in prescribed text
Example of CP
Technique/effect
Similar conflicting perspective in Related text
Example
Technique/effect

HSC

lol your a real help

edog

HSC
Hi there. It is always better to "integrate" your response through looking at what is similar between your presribed text and your related texts. That's not to say you can't treat each text in turn (as long as you're comparing them as you go), but markers are looking for essays that bring all the texts together - that means comparing them (Venn diagram anyone?) and finding links between them: links in ideas, what they say, techniques, form, etc.

Basically, to have a well structured essay you need a good thesis. The writing of the essay isn't that hard - once you know what you want to say. Time spent planning your argument (say in an argument map) will help.

This essay statement needs to be reworded/processed to make your thesis.
Your JC text will probably focus on conflicting perspectives about the person Caesar. Who are the differing sides in this? Brutus on the conspirators side who see JC as a threat to the Republic, and Antony who has relied on Caesar as friend and his superior - everything he has he owes to Caesar. The best scene for the two perspectives on Caesar: Act 3 Sc1. The rhetoric that Shakespeare has both characters use is masterful!

ALways keep in mind: the composer has the characters do things/say things. Bad essays talk lots about "Antony does this" or "Cassius says that", without acknowledging the composer's part in things. Remember, the composer has shaped the texts (including characters, dialogue, etc) in order to potray conflicting perspectives - you've got to ask the question WHY? Why portray two sides of the argument about Caesar? In Shakespeare's case, he shows how both sides of the argument about Caesar (and why he had to die) are, in a way, right. Shakespeare has Brutus present his reasons in a logical way (btw - in prose rather than verse), whereas Shakes has Antony use emotive language, rhetorical questions, visual props (the cloak) to sway the crowd. The fact that Shakes has Antony more successful could be taken as a critical comment by Shakes on how easily crowds in his time (and in any time) are convinced.

How does this link with the ""Conflicting perspectives on a personality, event or situation conveys much more than a simple knowledge of the truth" statement?
Simply put, Shakes shows how "truth" is a matter of perspective. Each man is right, but what decides "the truth" is who believes it. So, yes, the text JC is not just about simply knowing the truth (it shows truth as problematic), its effectiveness is in the way Shakes raises questions about how 'a truth' is constructed and how it is conveyed to others. The "more than" bit of the statement is the clue: a great text like JC will force us to question what we perceive as "the truth" and how we are convinced of that truth.

Now think about yr related texts: do they portray differing perspectives about a person, an event or a situation? You should have related texts that contain both perspectives or you could have one related text with one view and the other with the conflicting view. Whatever works for you. Again, keep in mind the purpose of the composer: why are they presenting these perspectives? And what about form: what effect does a visual text such as a cartoon have that makes it more effective than say a newspaper article about the same issue? There are lots of things to consider - time is the big factor.

Back to the statement: you've got all yr texts, now do they convey more than a SIMPLE knowledge of the truth? What do they have to SAY about conflicting perspectives? This is important as your response is going to need to contain this.

So the question asks you to validate this statement (that texts with conflicting perspectives convey more than just a simple knowledge of what is "true") and chances are you have thought about this by now: make sure you have related texts that demonstrate that knowledge/truth is up for question. If there aren't two perspectives in the one text, get two texts that look at different sides of the one issue. With this second option, as each composer is trying to convince you of their perspective, it's in your mind whether more than just "truth" is being conveyed, whereas in JC, Shakes he has the two perspectives.

Hope this helps somewhat. Just remember, as with essay to all your modules, address the module, the elective and then the question. Always keep in mind that your need to discuss 'representation' (you do this by keeping firmly in mind that the composer is constructing the text), then 'conflicting perspectives', then the question. Anyhoo, the question (if it's a good question) will force this anyway.

peachlives

HSC
what the hell is up with that question btw-
does anybody else think its really poorly worded?
no wonder people are having trouble with, its poor english for starters!

kitty_louise

HSC
i would not suggest doing it text by text because as the hsc syllabus requires it must be done in such a way that flows. do it concept by concept and
start each concept with a thesis
use evidence from ur text
use evidence from ur related text
use joining words between paragraphs of the same concept.

xxx
hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)