s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
Re: Official Concert Review Thread

Anyone see The Gossip? I missed out on tickets :(

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC

needing a sufjan review before tonight :)

kuroneko

HSC

Exphate said:
My Chemical Romance - Sydney Entertainment Centre November 30th 2007

Experience

A hell of a lot better than expected. I expected alot of stillness and "Gosh...", which came with Circa Survive, because they were shit. But the crowd was nuts throughout the MCR set, jumping and screaming like 'tards.

Energy

The band were theatrical throughout. Jump across the stage. Be insane. Etc Etc. Everything went up with the flames and sparklers they had going off throughout. Guitar solo was fuckin' win.

Crowd Demeanor

Circa Survive Set: More people leaving than jumping around.
MCR: Brilliant. Everyone singing, everyone bouncing and jumping around.

The venue?

Heaps of people. Great sound. Allowance of pyrotechnics. Three things that make me very happy at a concert.

Hmm. Too be honest, I was quite suprised. The whole "emo" predisposition was thrown out the window. Sure, there were plenty of people dressed for the occasion, but the involvement was much more than one would have expected. Just proves that "emo" is just a fashion statement. Pretty good for the price as well.

7 Maxine victories out of 10

I was there too. It was heaps better than January's show at the Horden. The air-con felt soooo good, but I didn't appreciate the pyro...
And I am so sick of this 'emo' thing, I just wish it would disappear.
Oh and The Getaway plan were pretty good huh?

I say 9/10 overall.

Legham

HSC

cbf writing anything else, but i wrote this somewhere else about the Amon Amarth gig at the Enmore Theatre on the 6th of january

me said:
Amon Amarth was flippin' awesome!!!!!!11one

Didn't feel like there was that many people there because the area was so big, but it was pretty packed. I was with my gf, so i stayed to the side a bit, still at the front, so she wouldn't get crushed so i didn't really get to join the moshpit, but it was awesome enough without it. There were 2 support bands which was cool cause i only thought there was gonna be one. Bane Of Isildur were awesome, and Nothing were fairly good to.

Umm.. tracks Amon Amarth played:

-Valhalla Awaits Me
-Runes to My Memory
-Cry Of The Blackbirds
-Death In Fire
-Fate Of Norns
-The Last With Pagan Blood
-Masters Of War
-Versus The World
-The Pursuit Of Vikings
-Hermods Ride To Hel
-Asator
-Gods Of War Arise
-Friends Of The Suncross

I'm pretty sure that was the complete setlist.. I couldn't of been happier Very Happy unless of course, Masters Of War was replaced with Amon Amarth and they had the viking fight on stage like on the wrath of the norsemen DVD!

Anyways, after that 4 hour trip south and 4 hours back home from sydney, im seriously considering making the 10 hour trip north to brisbane to catch their show on the 17th.. Shitload of effort to get there, but its worth it imo!
yeah.

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC

Joanna Newsom at the Opera House last night was amazing, played all of Y's then the best off Milk-Eyed Mender with a few new tracks. 4th row center, dam she's gorgeous! Those going tonight have an awesome show to look foward to

Shaking Paper

HSC

I was 4th row centre too. Couldn't have been a betetr seat except for the extremely distracting loud-breather next to me.
I have a spare Box Y ticket for tonights show - up for grabs for whoever messages me before 4pm (as long as you're the one whose going to use it).

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC

Shaking Paper said:
I was 4th row centre too. Couldn't have been a betetr seat except for the extremely distracting loud-breather next to me.
I have a spare Box Y ticket for tonights show - up for grabs for whoever messages me before 4pm (as long as you're the one whose going to use it).
No Kidding! .. I was the one in the Pink polo were you a few seats to my right by any chance? Gazing around I didn't pick out to many other people that were around our age there

How much do you want for that ticket?

Shaking Paper

HSC

Yes. Couldn't you have put a fucking alligator clip on your friends nose or something?? Fucking frustrating, only thing keeping it from being a perfect show.

Anyway, it's an 'In Ranbows' deal, free if you want it but I wouldn't say no - probably not a great view (second row of Box Y), but better it go to someone who really wants it than no-one at all.

turmionkat

HSC

HIM - Big Top at Luna Park - $72

It was pretty dam good. The crowd was nice and eveyone helped out if someone fell, but there were a few douches in the crowd. The mosh was really hot, wet and smelled of body odour. That wasnt so bad until someone let off a horrible fart in the mosh. It was a horrible combination since we were really packed tight.

The HIM was great, but the band on before HIM, McQueen, was an absolute failure. Overall, it was a good night out.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC

Was the experience really as good as you expected?
Admittedly, i had pretty high expectations of her. Ruby Blue is easily in my top 10 favourite albums, and i had been waiting to see her by herself for quite some time. I was worried that I would be disappointed, but put in short, she is amazing. I think a good live performer will make you love (or at least enjoy) the studio tracks that you dislike, and she certainly did that.

What was the playlist like?
She started out with almost all new tracks from Overpowered. The brilliance of that was that she mixed them in together, sang live off stage, and made them absolutely come to life. I dont really like overpowered at all compared to Ruby Blue but she made me love all those disco tracks. And she played The Truth!! the Handsome Boy Modelling School track i thought we'd never hear. Her rapping was definitely a huge highlight. Oh as well as Moloko. Forever More was also a highlight for me. It was a solid 2hour set.

The crowd demeanor?
Actually, surprisingly good. I am always ranting and raving about those annoying people who think thoroughfare is an absolute must during the whole set, but most people stayed put, and those that kept pushing forward were hugely frowned upon and definitely in the minority. The only disappointment was the loud chatter during a softer Roisin track but that calmed down pretty quickly. All round the crowd were super dancey and getting into the gig.

The band/singers energy?
Oh god. She is so beautiful. Her costumes! She changed almost every song, had the most amazing hats and jackets and an amazingly see through :eek: white lycra top happening. Her voice mixes so well with jazz, and a lot of the ordinary dico sounding tracks were given a much more funk/jazz vibe which was great. I honestly cannot fault her.

HSC

Soundwave Sydney - 23 Feb 2008

BANDS

Halifax - Only had a small crowd but rocked. One of my favs.
Boys Like Girls - Not my style but were still good
Bleeding Through - Average, I walked away.
Motion City Soundtrack - Had the crowd pumping, really good.
Alexisonfire - Huge letdown. I saw more people in AOF shirts than any other band and everyone was talkin them up but i thought they sucked.
Incubus - Second best band I saw. Every person in the crowd sung Drive and I Wish U Were Here. Just cut they didnt play Stellar.
Killswitch Engage - Absolutely awesome. The crowd was prob only a 1500 or 2000 but everyone knew the songs. There was huge moshs, and an epic wall of death (check youtube for vids). And Adam D. (the lead guitarist) ripped into emos so couldnt have been better.

Was cut I missed Carpathian and As I Lay Dying, and THe offspring but meh..

Experience

Awesome, 30 odd bands and 18000 people made for a sick atmosphere.

Energy

It was a little low at the start as people were gettin in but towards the end of the night when the headliners started it was awesome.

Crowd Demeanor

Really good, only a few idiots (starting fights, throwing stuff). The real downer was someone threw a water bottle at the guitarist of As I Lay Dying and he collapsed at the end of the song (only their 2nd song i think). They then went off. The rumour was that the guy who threw it ended up in hospital thanks to some AILD fans taking exception.

The venue?

Sydney Park (near St. Peters, i dont live in Sydney) was awesome. THe only problem was the huge line for food and drink. They also ran out of water for an hour or two in the arvo.

SiN3m

HSC

turmionkat said:
HIM - Big Top at Luna Park - $72

It was pretty dam good. The crowd was nice and eveyone helped out if someone fell, but there were a few douches in the crowd. The mosh was really hot, wet and smelled of body odour. That wasnt so bad until someone let off a horrible fart in the mosh. It was a horrible combination since we were really packed tight.

The HIM was great, but the band on before HIM, McQueen, was an absolute failure. Overall, it was a good night out.
totally McQueen sucked...dat guy beat me to it when he yelled 'Get off!'

the mosh was awsome, especially where i was (ryt in front of Ville!) the 3 hours in line then the hour of a blonde tryhard pretty much forcing us to clap for her was worth it...

they went off early and i got pissed but im glad they came back on in the end...pretty surprised they ddnt play 'Venus doom'...

it was a great night! couldn't speak for days

energy
low for McQueen then great for HIM

crowd
good...i cnt really compare though coz it was my first mosh

Last edited:

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC

!!! were awesome. it did seem like a very routine gig though, no encore but i could understand that since they were doing that after-party thing at OAF

fuck, his dancing, it's like =O

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC

trying to dance to mars volta = ultimate lolz

tahls--

HSC

The Getaway Plan - Albert Hall, Canberra, July 10

It was better. Supporting bands rocked it, and The Getaway Plan were amazing live. Matthew Wrights vocals are perfection.

Good setlist (I got given the setlist at the end). Played every song from the album apart from 'Transmission' as well as 3 older songs, two from their EP 'Hold Conversation' and one from their first demo. Was stoked to hear that live. 'Where The City Meets The Sea' was the crowd pleaser of the night.

The crowd demeanor?
Twas good. Apart from the drunk 15 year old girls behind us, everyone was friendly, apologetic if things got to hectic in the mosh, and just there to have fun and have a good time.

The band/singers energy?
Amazing! Clint (lead guitarist) is amazing to watch, his so talented. Matthew (vocals), while he seems a bit shy or something, really lets his personality show through the music and songs. He didn't hit a bad note all night, and his screaming vocals were right on spot. He manages to alternate between high, low, long notes and screams with ease and seemingly effortlessly.

Have to give Kudos to "Goodnight Nurse' one of the supporting bands - They got the crowd pumped up, (Something that "Closure In Moscow" couldn't seem to achieve that well) and their rendition of 'milkshake' really got everyone going.

The venue - I was slightly surprised as I found it better than I originally expected. I was apprehensive when I found out the gig would be at Albert Hall, but turned out to be way better than I thought. Maybe that's cause I was front row, but all in all the concert was amazing.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

IRON MAIDEN SYDNEY 09

Much much much much much better, the only probably i had with the show was Behind crimson eyes opened, worst band ever. They tried to be metalcore but as a result just got bottled and told sydney politle to "fuck off".
Pretty good it was only the early stuff first 5-6 albums but thats what i really know from them, but the could have done some other songs like killers
The crowd demeanor?
The crowd hated BCE loved maiden, everyone sung the whole concert and cheered when a song wasnt been played
The band/singers energy?
endless, they were everyhwere
The venue?
Acer arena

em_516

bludging..
HSC

NEW YOUNG PONY CLUB
Yes, loved it - great atmosphere, good sounds, had heaps of fun!
Mostly great. They played all the songs you'd expect like 'Ice Cream' and 'Get Lucky' but they also played 'Hiding on the Staircase' which I actually didn't expect! They didn't play 'Jerk Me' though :( They tweaked 'Grey' to sound a bit more upbeat/rockier which was great for the gig imo. Also played three new songs.
The crowd demeanor?
I was reasonably tipsy so I didn't pay them much attention honestly haha, but everyone was having fun and no one seemed to be getting in anyone's way etc. and a lot of people sang along which was good.
The band/singers energy?
Tahita was crazy! Loved it! The others were less so but they were still getting into it lol.
The venue?
Oxford Art Factory - had never been before but I thought it was great! Tad small, but was perfect for the night so eh. Stage a tad tacky but I loved it anyway haha.

Support - Hoops (3 chicks djing): When I first walked in, they were playing so many songs that I loved but after a while they started playing songs that I didn't recognise which was less fun, but it still sounded good, mixed well etc.
Young Lovers: These guys played pretty well, got the crowd going and were really energetic but pretty early on I started to recognise a lot of their songs sounded really similar - something that will keep them as a support band unless they make some changes imo. I had 'The Kooks - Always Where I Need To Be' stuck in my head, and I figured out I could sing the 'Doo doo doo' bit to almost all of their songs :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)