Compulsory uni service fees to be reintroduced (1 Viewer)

Do you support VSU?

• Yes, VSU should stay

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • No, VSU should go

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
"Labor would not reintroduce compulsory student union membership but the fee that accompanied the membership and funded services."

Revolution on campus

THE Rudd Government is set to reintroduce compulsory fees for university students to reverse a decline in sporting and social services on campuses.

It is understood that an announcement is due next month on an "opt-out" system in which students will be able to choose which services their fees are spent on and whether they belong to the student union. [...]

Before VSU, fees ranged from $100 to $600. Under the new system, yet to go before cabinet, fees would be at the lower end of the scale.

Under opt-out proposals, students could tick a box if they were unhappy with their fees being spent on any area in particular. There would be restrictions or bans on money being used for partisan politics but student advocacy would be funded.
UPDATE: Bill introduced into parliament (11/02/09)

Higher Education Legislation Amendment (Student Services and Amenities, and Other Measures) Bill 2009
Explanatory memoranda

Schedule 1 of the Bill will amend the Higher Education Support Act 2003 to provide for a fee to be imposed by higher education providers from 1 July 2009 for a compulsory student services and amenities fee. The fee will be capped at $250 per student per annum and indexed annually. The Bill provides for the establishment of a new component of the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP): Services and Amenities-HELP (SA-HELP), which will provide eligible students with an option to access a loan for the fee through SA-HELP if they wish. In addition, the Bill will require, higher education providers that receive funding for student places under the Commonwealth Grant Scheme, to comply with new benchmarks, from 2010 onwards, for the provision of information on and access to basic student support services of a non-academic nature; and requirements to ensure the provision of student representation and advocacy.

Last edited:

12th man

HSC
Re: Compulsory university student fees to be reintroduced

good. i was at uni before it was all introduced and have been there since it was

campus life and the university experience in general was so much better before it was in my opinion; i would much rather pay an extra 1-2 hundred dollars a semester to make uni more enjoyable again, without question. i do think part time and distance education students should only have to pay a pro rata'd amount though

really hope it goes ahead this is fantastic news and if you dont agree thats fine; youre just as entitled to your opinion as i am, but dont bother attacking mine cause ive seen the pros and cons of both and know what i prefer

Last edited:

paganinio

HSC

university fees are defined as follows:
it's not your money they're after boy it's you

if you're confused, that's a compliment

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

good.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

If this happens, I will snap and beat you up Townie.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

12th man said:
good. i was at uni before it was all introduced and have been there since it was

campus life and the university experience in general was so much better before it was in my opinion; i would much rather pay an extra 1-2 hundred dollars a semester to make uni more enjoyable again, without question. i do think part time and distance education students should only have to pay a pro rata'd amount though

really hope it goes ahead this is fantastic news and if you dont agree thats fine; youre just as entitled to your opinion as i am, but dont bother attacking mine cause ive seen the pros and cons of both and know what i prefer
If you did your HSC in 06... went to uni in 07... you most definitely did not see USU.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Heeere we go again! we go again
How annoying.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
It is understood that an announcement is due next month on an "opt-out" system in which students will be able to choose which services their fees are spent on and whether they belong to the student union. [...]
Why not an "opt-out" system where you can... truly opt out?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Are they going to make it so you cant get your degree or re-enrol if you don't pay?

Coz I'm moving to fucking Iceland if they do.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Nah me neither.

They can literally suck my dick.

You know what was lost when VSU came in, at CSU? Nothing. Contrary to what the spacks at the SRC try and tell us. They replaced the lost revenue by charging $1.50 for what is arguably the worst coffee on earth.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
For example, the University of Technology, Sydney, reported that compulsory student unionism used to raise $6.2 million a year for services. That had declined to $190,000 a year and the university had contributed another $500,000 from its operating budget.
So they were able to do something for $790,000 that they used to charge $6.2 million for? I'm not at uts but I'd be quite interested to know if services diminished to a large extent.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Govt says no to compulsory fees plan

The Rudd government has rejected reports it is considering reintroducing compulsory fees for university students.

The government was considering options that would ensure access to vital campus services, including childcare, healthcare, counselling and sporting facilities, a spokeswoman for Education Minister Julia Gillard said.

But reintroducing compulsory union fees was not being considered, she said.

Reports suggested the government was set to reintroduce compulsory fees for university students to reverse a decline in sporting and social services on campuses.

An announcement was due next month with an "opt-out" system to replace voluntary student unionism with students able to choose which services their fees were spent on and whether they wanted to belong to the student union, Fairfax reported.

Finance Minister Lindsay Tanner confirmed the government was considering how it should tackle the problem of declining student services.

"We have indicated we are not proposing to do something that is compulsory," he told ABC Radio on Thursday.

"But we are looking at ways to ensure that we can revive services on campuses, non-academic services, that in many parts of Australia have been seriously eroded by the changes the Howard government has made."

The previous Howard coalition government abolished compulsory student unionism in 2005 and replaced it with voluntary student unionism.

A report commissioned by the Labor government in February received more than 160 submissions, the majority of which concluded the abolition of upfront compulsory student union fees had "impacted negatively" on the provision of amenities and services to university students.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, in Niue for the Pacific Forum, was quizzed about the report.

"Our policy is clear cut, and stated before the election," he told reporters.

Labor promised it would not reintroduce compulsory student unionism and ruled out a HECS-style loan scheme for students to cover union fees.
False alarm?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Compromise on WHAT? Nothing has been lost it's just the student politicians have had less of our money to piss away and steal.
And hopefully everybody ticks the box "no I don't want to fund student politics".

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Slidey said:
And hopefully everybody ticks the box "no I don't want to fund student politics".
You think that'll work? It seems rather odd anyway, just give people their money and let them vote with their wallet. I mean... the NUS is claiming students are up in outrage by submitting 160 stories to the minister but I think the bigger sample to look at has to be the some 90% who have decided they don't want to be a part of the union.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)