Comprehensive list of medical interview questions (all unis) here! (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
when i was younger.. nickname.. cos i was a math ace and general knowledge stuff..
it didnt stick
but i was rushin a bit so i used it

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm ok. But where did the name itself come from? I don't know how a bunch of kids could get "pointdexter" from your name. :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hi everyone!! just a quick shout out from korea. Here I'm freezing my ass off with no money and nothing to do for 2 months. Have a good one in Austraya!

And yes longer tubes are better in that u can get away from patients with MRSA, but the sound isnt as good as the shorter tubes.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Well that's why you don't know where the term pointdexter comes from. It's off Cartoon Network.

As an aside, has anyone seen the threads about "1st in state"/"WHO HAS SEEN THERE RESULTSSSS!!11"?

Extremely talented people on BoS this year.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha you mean Dexter's Lab? No, this Poindexter definitely predates that. I tried googling and apparently it's the name of some famous clever guy, but I couldn't find anything definitive in my 30-second flashread.

On a side note, I was at the hospital for 7.5 hours today and every damn doctor or nurse had a Littmann. When I asked they swore by those stethoscopes. Just thought it was interesting. :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
why r u wasting thread space to tell us what we knew to be true already?!

inasero

Reborn
HSC
about stethoscopes...i mean...it's like saying "the sky is blue" or whatnot

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
What exactly about stethoscopes do you mean? The last thing I said was that when I went to the hospital every doctor and nurse their had a Littmann around their neck. Now you can't possibly know that because I know that none of you would have any real reason to go to my local hospital, what with living in Matraville (slash Melbourne) and whatnot.

And the reason I mentioned it was because we were discussing the relative merits of Littmann stethoscopes vs "cheaper" brands commonly purchased by students. :)

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
He means:

i) We know littmans are good, and
ii) Doctors everywhere use them

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Keen said:
There's really not that much difference between the stetescopes a bit above the mid $100 mark until you go big time. It is buying a brand name to some degree and stethescopes don't have 'secret ingredients' that only Litman knows.
Keen said:
Yeah, something like plastic tubing, diaphragm, spare one just in case, ear pieces, useless hard ear pieces for I don't know what, bit of metal for some shine and someone silly enough to buy it.
I mentioned it because of these posts.

Keen

MD
HSC
Yeah but that's because that's what I think, I've listened through both and I can't tell the difference. Could be that I have more wax in my ear than a candle store, but as a first stethescope I don't know.
But I'll probably end up getting one in the next couple of years so that's cool.

Keen

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
ha ha
this is great - when I go for my interview/s next year (fingers and toes) I will be sooo confident... I mean should they ask the value of various stethoscopes on the market, or, perhaps, the prevalence of "Scrubs" viewing in the medical student community - I'm set!! ;P

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
W1NN4R!

My results for spring 2004 have FINALLY been released, and you guessed it, I immediately calculated my TPS.

It is now 5.75 - I have an interview in Perth. :D

inasero

Reborn
HSC
gg Bob, btw:
The last thing I said was that when I went to the hospital every doctor and nurse their had a Littmann around their neck. Now you can't possibly know that because I know that none of you would have any real reason to go to my local hospital, what with living in Matraville (slash Melbourne) and whatnot.
Why would the medical community be any different in Melbourne as opposed to Sydney, or rural Sydney as opposed to the CBD? Anywhere you go doctors will be wearing Littmans most likely. Unless they for some reason opt for the Sprague-Rapaport.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha, what the hell is Rural Sydney? I don't live near any farms...

And in no way did I imply that the medical community differed according to geography. I was simply giving an account of my personal experience that day, noting that it was one you could not have possibly shared for the simple reason that you would not have been to my hopsital.

If anyone wants to guess which one it is, it's a teaching hospital for USyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)