Completing applications for Scholarships, med entry, etc (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
For any sections when you don't have anything to write down, is the sensible thing to leave it blank or should i write something.

For me, UNSW app
Volunteer work, paid work, or work exp.
Nothing. Should i make up something like helping to plant tree for council during "plant a tree" day, or volunteer for cleanup australia day to fill in the space?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
This should be moved to the Med Entry section of the forum...Dont fake anything because you will eventually get caught out. The people who read these applications know that you're only 17 and have busy schedules with HSC, so i dont think theyre looking for anything flash.

Wohzazz

HSC
So do you have anything for that section kimmeh? Guess i will have a big fat blank in my form. Or maybe I should i just write a justification for why i'm not involved in anything(despite the fact that many other people are).

Heh, you make me feel like these interviewers are is like the father (psychologist) in Meet the Parents, crack me open and find the truth.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
If you have a big blank sheet I don't think it is a good idea to write justifications all over it. A few mabye, but more than that it looks bad.

Are you sure you haven't done anything remotely related to volenteer work? mabye say you have tutored friends for free? try and bend the truth if you must, but just not too much.
I think blank pages look bad.

nah, scholarship interviews aren't that bad, they do try to be friendly

you know there is going to be a sequel "Meet the fockers", fliming this year.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah i would definately put something, blank pages will look really bad, have u done anything at school like selling bandaged bears, or red cross collecting etc? anything u have ever done, even if it seems insignificant. The reality is that so many ppl apply with such good applications that if you have a blank bit your application will be discarded pretty early on in the process. The standard of ppl applying for the scholarships is really high, so i wouldnt try to justify yourself because you might make yourself look worse, by seeming like you are making excuses. I've had a fair bit to do with scholarship recipients at Usyd, and most had a fair bit of work experience or voluunteer work. Put anything you've done, even if you've like, bought a hand at Mc Happy week, whatever makes u look good

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
just dun crap on.. cos they will ask questions bout that tree planting thing u did ;)
highlight - group, leadership, team etc... things
same in interview
lolz mine had bball ,rugby ,casual work(15hrs/wk) ,volunteer work(12 mths)- since yr 10.. 16 and toomuch time :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm keeping this here because the question applies not only to Medicine but also to scholarship applications as well.

:)

Try not to leave a blank space. It makes your application look like a rush-job, where you didn't put the time in to really think and plan out your response. If you have done anything, ANYTHING remotely close to what they want then write it down - two lines are better than nothing. Sure, it'll be really weak and probably irrelevant, but when they ask about it at interview you can elaborate on why you didn't do other things.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
If you're applying for a college or a scholarship NOW and you're in the middle of organising something (charity work) that you could use in your application form, should you say that you're planning to do it, or should you say you've already done it?

*Pooja*

yeah i understood that. so in the 'is there anything else you would like to say about yourself 'section of the UNSW APP form/CV what did people put down? (ive already sent mine in.)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
To Crikket - Tell them you're doing it now.

To Pooja - I don't actually remember what I said (could dig it up, but I'm busy). I think it was something about having a desire to keep an open mind throughout the course, trying my hardest and having a go at everything...something about my past...blah blah blah.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
*Pooja* said:
yeah i understood that. so in the 'is there anything else you would like to say about yourself 'section of the UNSW APP form/CV what did people put down? (ive already sent mine in.)
I left mine blank.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Even if your a moderator for BOS put that down! lol, that's still doing something voluntarily and might be worth something :).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha you know I think I might do that! "Moderator for Medicine Admissions Sector - Bored of Studies forum"...somehow I don't think that'll help me much. :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Lol you wouldn't write that you would write "Moderater for a teenager's help forum" under volunteer work.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
im not sure how much volunteer work i should partake in. Im still in yr11 so i have heaps of time. How much seems reasonable? Cos i already have duke of ed (includes volunteer work), and heaps of scouts stuff, and captain of cricket team...Do i need to gain some retail experience also?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't do much more then that, but don't just put volunteer work through the scouts, go through and list individually the things you have done at least the major events.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Haha you know I think I might do that! "Moderator for Medicine Admissions Sector - Bored of Studies forum"...somehow I don't think that'll help me much. :p
but haven't you already got into uni?
why would you need to put that down?
but i think the fact that you're a moderator in a popular school related site is worth putting down on the form :)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
to wrx:
that's heaps!
and you have a variety as well, good on ya
i say keep doing alot of volunteer work until next year, then when the workload gets heavy, you can cut back on the community service... that's what i SHOULDA done, now i need volunteer work but i don't have enough time to do it!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
and just a-wondering...
does being a red cross telephone volunteer person (only for a month) count as a major thing?
could you put that on an application form without being ashamed about how insignificant it is compared to wrx's duke of edinborough award for example? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)