Common Rooms (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dash
We "had" a common room. Some faggots started playing soccer in there and started to smash the windows with the ball. They also rippred up the couches and ruined the toasters. We spent like $200 on a air conditioner that we never ended up using cos of that. They closed it down for us :( Those fags ruined it for everyone!
Thats really bad, arent the ones like that suppose to drop out at the end of year 10. Plus our common room committee wouldnt let them in, of course they're just full of that SRC kind (you know the kind that thinks they're higher then you). Of course considering that the smartest people arent in that group it will be interesting to find out what UAIs they get.

tempco

HSC
The Shire is actually a place? I thought it was a reference to LoTR...

beyond the arc

Our common room is pretty good. Pretty new, was totally done couple years ago, looks and feels really good.

We have heaps of lounges in ours, with coffee tables. Also have a pool table, table tennis table. No common room is complete without a coffee machine and kitchen area with fridge, which we have aswell. Also have a stereo and tv plus toilets in there aswell. There are some tables in there which could be used for study but no one really uses them since the room next door is used for study with computers in it etc...
Pretty cool common area id say

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Just because their brick it doesnt mean you can't paint it, you just need to go with certain colours like whites or blues it should look better as well.

We aren't allowed to paint it, the teachers won't let us...it could be turned into a classroom in the furture (because it was one in the past)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
l like the idea of the Common room commitee...that someone said earlier..l was crowed (on thursday) the common room queen :p

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
The best thing at my school is the study centre. We have 7 computers (not very good ones but hey they do the job), an archive of previous newspapers, an area of subject resources and theres a full time teacher in there which will give you help if you require it. We practically got this as my school is a new one. The government gave $14 million for it so theres a fair amount of money to spend so the school decided to create this study centre.

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Dont knock the shire- its mad! But i realise im such a shire girl -- so oblivious to outside things. me and my friends went to krispy kremes the other day and got totally lost! Oops :) anyways .. Ms12 what school do u go to? I go to nulla, im really eager now to update the common room, thanks guys xoxo

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
our common room isnt realli coommmon... the honkies and viet who used to sit in the mid of the playground moved into the room... and it sorta is crammed if there are more pplz in the room......we were gonna have food and stuff in it.. but all of the edible stuff sorta disappeared after half a day... so that idea was abandoned.. :p

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
Ms12 what school do u go to? I go to nulla, im really eager now to update the common room, thanks guys xoxo

PM me and I'll tell ya

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
We just got one this year, since im in yr 11 im happy heh

4 computers, fridge, microwave, tables, chairs etcetc

were raising cash though for TV, PS2 (for DVDs) heh and a Boombox....

and no common room isnt complete without a game of twister....seriously:/

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I find our tv was never really turned on during the day, everyone was more happy to talk and stuff at recess and lunch, it was only on for the Sunrise show in the morning and then as background noise in the evenings.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
We never were lucky enough to have something as wonderous as a 'Common Room'.The closest we came to getting this was having a couple of non-descript 'study rooms' within which certain segments of the grade would 'reside' during free periods..

They were fairly non-descript, consisting merely of tables and chairs, basically. There was a whiteboard, but no marker. Unsurprisingly, very little work was done within their confines. (Although of course, there was some vandalism, for no apparent reason.) I never was that concerned with the whole concept though.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
OMG!!! We have a christmas tree in our common room now!! Its a plant that my friend got from outside...it looks really lame but were going to bring in tinsel and stuff!

I was thinking of going shopping some time early next year and buy cushions and power boards and some markers to write on the board with.

Does any common room here have a 'clean up roster'? If our common room isn't clean at the end of each day, it gets closed for a day or two. So we made a roster, so everyone gets to clean the common room once. We have two people on everyday so if someone is away the other person can clean. It also helps us blame people if it gets closed.

One problem though, the computer decided to die yesterday:( so we have no more computer for now, which is a good thing because one of my other friends said that it was annoying with the games on there, everyone wanted to play it all the time, and it distracted us from our schoolwork. Especially with this one guy, he ALWAYS wanted to play this bike game, he'd race to the common room to try and get on there.

BUT one of the girls in our grade has an old fridge that she might be bringing in, so thats good!!

I would like to raise more money for the room, to get it looking nicer, but l don't think everyone would want to put in. If we do end up buying things, it will be one person who does it...which is a shame.

We had this problem when two guys put together the copmuter, one brought his old, old modem in and the other brought all new hardware to put in it. Now whenever one of the guys wants a turn, he gets a turn straight away because 'its his computer'.

So yeah, does anyone else have any ideas other than fundraising (l could do the cadbury chocolate fundraiser) or getting everyone to put in money?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Put people in clean up groups. Have about 10 groups and give them a week each term (theres usually only ten weeks in a term). Ours went by our English classes. But there was also an agreement that people that used the room weren't to act like total pigs and leave their food scraps and shit everywhere. Everyone was to rinse their plates/cups/cutlery after use and they got picked up by the dining hall staff at the end of each day and got put through the big industrial dishwasher and then returned to the room to be put away by whomever was on duty that week.

Xmas tree sounds cute, we had one in there last year for people to put their charity shoeboxes under (everyone in the school makes up a shoebox of little gifts for kids which go to charity for distribution). Also in the last week all the secret santa gifts went under there until our xmas party on the last day.

You don't have to spend money to make it a nice retreat, make it personal with some framed pix of your yr 10 formal and some other things like that. Also if you wanted to raise money you could have a raffle every Friday at one of your breaks and sell everyone like 3 tickets for $2 and have one prize worth like $10. We did that (we had a group morning tea every friday morning, it was the responsibility of the group that was rostered on to bring in something, usually cakes or little sandwiches or whatever) and made $700 by 3rd term this year to go toward the formal.

I go to Misturi's school. Guess What we just got a fridge. Yep thats right. I think that everyone out there should get off their butts and patition for a common room if you dont have one. Nothing ever gets done if you dont do it yourself. Right a pertition get everone in you year to sign it including parents and give it to your principal show them you can be responsable. But dont get everyone in the school to sign it because that will be a waste and they wont take you seriously. If you get the parents to agree then you should have no trouble. If you have trouble write a letter to your local member of parliment telling them that as seniors you deserve privelidges. Your the future voters they will listen.
Hey sarah

kazerati

our common room was pretty cool...

we had it for a term, at the end of '02, but due to constant vandalism, by the not so brilliant in our class, we all got banned.. grr.. but - we did an awsum job of a signed apology by everyone, and got permission to go back in there when the maintenance guy had patched the walls and cleaned the carpet..

our lounges have all been donated, with the collection being added to every year or 2, and the oldest scabbiest ones thrown out, we have a decent sized fridge [big enough to fit the average sized yr 12'r.. he he he] we hav a kettle, a microwave, the ever popular 'chief' [the sandwich toaster] a sink, coffee tables, and one very good stereo system - that was yr 12 01's end of year present to the skool. we had a tv, but it was so old and busted, it didnt really work.. and it was even more cactus when yr 12 02 tied the power cord into a noose, and then someone cut the noose..

towards the end of the year, more people were getting laptops, so we'd set up the lounges and watch DVDs during our frees.. Baseketball, 2Fast2Furious - yeh, it was one of the guy's laptops..

hmm, wat else did we have.. oh, yeh! on the window sill, if u sat ur fone up there, u could get a bar of reception - 2 if u were lucky!! our skools in a bit of a 'hole' wen it comes to mobile coverage - not that we were allowed fones.. but the teachers were mostly cool with it, coz we were seniors n stuff.

if u want more stuff, ask around!! theres bound to be someone thats got a spare kettle or something..

plus, if everyone in your class puts in, it wont cost heaps to get something semi-decent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)