Commerce: UNSW or Sydney? (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
that hits the nail on the head. unsw cbs is one big happy hang out. im a Christian so i have a good time there. but other than that, its pretty boring.

Capitalist

HSC
brogan77 said:
Yes so in conclusion, if you are asian, got to unsw, if you are white, go to usyd.
That *is* a factor, but is not *the* decisive factor (well for most people anyway).

Alot of other considerations would come into play.

volition

arr.
HSC
Capitalist said:
But then again, the % population of internationals at USYD is similar to that of UNSW.
Yeah, but I reckon UNSW would have more asian international students :p

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
^ UNSW has more non english speaking students it seems.

both unsw and usyd commerce have a lot of asians..

Conspirocy

HSC
magpam said:
wat is it with everyone not liking azns anyway?
what is it with most asians not wanting to speak to non asians??

in other news...mmmmmmmmmm turkey

velvetorchid

HSC
why cant you make your own timetable at usyd? what's it like for an asian attending usyd? no-one has said anything about job opportunities for graduates at who graduate from both unis... =\

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
velvetorchid said:
why cant you make your own timetable at usyd?
You pretty much can.
what's it like for an asian attending usyd?
There are still a lot of asians at usyd.
no-one has said anything about job opportunities for graduates at who graduate from both unis... =\
Not much difference/depends on individual.

1000th post.

konstantine'

HSC
MoonLiteDreamz said:

Anyone know which uni is more expertised in Commerce or any business course?
Here's some recent articles that might help

pmtruong said:
Top Accounting school in Asia-Pacific

15 November 04
The School of Accounting in the Faculty of Commerce and Economics at UNSW has been ranked first in a study of accounting schools in the Asia-Pacific. Based on research performance, the study ranks UNSW as equivalent to Columbia University.
Accounting schools of more than 100 Asia-Pacific universities were ranked in the study, to be published in a forthcoming issue of the Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting. It covers a period of 12 years, from 1991 to 2002, and measures the research productivity in 18 accounting journals as well as a sub-set of five top journals.
The top five universities over this period are UNSW, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Nanyang Technological University, the University of Sydney and City University of Hong Kong. HKUST replaces UNSW as the first ranked university in the period 1997-2002, but UNSW retains the top position overall.
The Dean of the Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Professor Greg Whittred, said: “This outstanding result confirms the Faculty's position as a leading business school in the Asian region. A number of the Faculty's schools have now been ranked as among the top three in Asia.
“It is particularly pleasing to see that the research performance of the leading Asia-Pacific accounting programs compares favourably with our North American counterparts,” Professor Whittred said.
He also congratulated the Head of UNSW's School of Accounting, Professor Wai Fong Chua, and Scientia Professor Ken Trotman who were ranked in the top five most productive authors over the period.
UNSW was recently ranked among the world's top 50 universities by the UK's prestigious Times Higher Education Supplement.
The study's authors are Kam C. Chan, from Western Kentucky University, Carl R. Chen, from the University of Dayton, and Louis T.W. Cheng from Hong Kong Polytechnic University.

UNSW has the best business teaching and research in NSW

20 December 06
The University of New South Wales has been ranked the best business faculty in NSW in the latest Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research rankings.
Professor Alec Cameron, Dean of UNSW's Faculty of Business said: "this result reinforces our leadership position in business education. UNSW's business faculty has been rated the leader in three recent reviews – the Melbourne Institute ranking, the Federal Government's Learning and Teaching Fund, and UNSW's Learning and Teaching Performance Indicators.
"The Melbourne Institute ranking comprises two streams. The first stream is a survey of 543 leading national and overseas scholars who rate the international standing of their discipline at each university. The second stream measures performance according to areas such as student-staff ratios, entrance scores, student feedback, publications and citations, membership of academies, doctoral completions and research grants.
"The Federal Government's Learning and Teaching Fund recently rated UNSW as the top university in Australia for learning and teaching excellence in Business and Law, awarding UNSW $2 million in recognition of this excellence.
"UNSW also recognised our outstanding teaching and learning when we topped the list of all faculties against UNSW's Learning and Teaching Performance Indicators earlier this year.
"These results illustrate the importance we place on setting and achieving high standards for teaching quality, and underline our commitment to enhancing the student experience,” says Professor Cameron.

turtleface

HSC
Monstar said:
I heard asians get spit on and kicked by big aussie guys. Just a rumour.
At my melbourne Big Four office this year, there are about 75 or so vacationers. 30-35 or so are male. Among this number there is 1 asian male (and he's worked there before i think), the rest are aussie, with maybe 5-10 indians/sri lankans

sarevok

HSC
turtleface said:
At my melbourne Big Four office this year, there are about 75 or so vacationers. 30-35 or so are male. Among this number there is 1 asian male (and he's worked there before i think), the rest are aussie, with maybe 5-10 indians/sri lankans
does this big four not like to recruit asians or something?

Conspirocy

HSC
ditto. said:
@turtleface...that seems VERY out of line, with my experience at 3/4 Big 4 firms.
so because uve only been to 3/4 can we assume u are asian ditto lol

VP17

Car enthusiast
HSC
Why are u guys so racist? I hate reading about these asian v white or any form of racism.

I'm not going to state what ethnicity I am because I know I am Australian. Now pull ur fingers outta where the sun don't shine and bloody realise that we live in a great country and there's no need for this bs.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
VP17 said:
Why are u guys so racist? I hate reading about these asian v white or any form of racism.

I'm not going to state what ethnicity I am because I know I am Australian. Now pull ur fingers outta where the sun don't shine and bloody realise that we live in a great country and there's no need for this bs.
Honda badge = Asian FTW? jkjk.

I don't think there's "racism" in the recruitment process. In my intake, there was a good balance, and even amongst the various divisions I've been exposed to, there's a decent balance... and then there are also a lot of people who are seconded/transferred over here from Asia. I don't think it's fair to generalise and say that because in one intake there was a very strong majority in a particular ethnicity, there must be racism... one should look at the whole picture before making such generalisations.

konstantine'

HSC
VP17 said:

Agreed. Three quarters of the rubbish in here doesn't even answer the original question.

turtleface

HSC
sarevok said:
does this big four not like to recruit asians or something?
ditto. said:
@turtleface...that seems VERY out of line, with my experience at 3/4 Big 4 firms.
seremify007 said:
I don't think there's "racism" in the recruitment process.
I didn't mean to imply racism, because there are a LOT of asian females in the vacationer group. Just one asian male. Just luck of the draw I guess.

It was just a thing I felt worth mentioning but I didn't mean to imply asians suck compared to caucasians if anyone felt I did

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
lol, no.

You find that the aussies in the professional fields have much less redneck tendencies and racist intolerance than the general population.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Monstar said:
I heard asians get spit on and kicked by big aussie guys. Just a rumour.
Monstar said:
I heard at the big four firms, they have asian toilets and white toilets. Just a rumour.
Stop making this racist shit up. I bet you are the one making up these "rumours".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)