Commerce/economics... and a language..? (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
A job?
A hobby?
A sport?
Incessant masturbation?
Only want a job that'll give me good experience - doing a few extracurriculars though. Also it'll fuck my youth allowance right up (why work when you get money for free?)

Been looking for a hobby for awhile - need to do more programming.

Haven't done sports for ages - need to get in more shape first :cry:

Incessant masturbation I don't even want to comment on that after a conversation today ><

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Only want a job that'll give me good experience - doing a few extracurriculars though. Also it'll fuck my youth allowance right up (why work when you get money for free?)

Been looking for a hobby for awhile - need to do more programming.

Haven't done sports for ages - need to get in more shape first :cry:

Incessant masturbation I don't even want to comment on that after a conversation today ><
From my experience, you'd be doing yourself a massive disservice when it comes to the grad job market if your haven't held any kind of part-time employment through your studies. Even nailing subjects consistently throughout your studies doesn't seem to be enough these days, and as you'll find out in the grad job applications most organisations require you to carry some recent work experience. It doesn't have to be related, but you'd be amazed at the kind of skills you can pick up through a couple of hours a week somewhere.

Also, YA isn't exactly an IB salary here, it covers rent/food/bills etc and that's about it. It's livable without being supplementing, but you wont be doing much.

Just sayin' man.

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
From my experience, you'd be doing yourself a massive disservice when it comes to the grad job market if your haven't held any kind of part-time employment through your studies. Even nailing subjects consistently throughout your studies doesn't seem to be enough these days, and as you'll find out in the grad job applications most organisations require you to carry some recent work experience. It doesn't have to be related, but you'd be amazed at the kind of skills you can pick up through a couple of hours a week somewhere.

Also, YA isn't exactly an IB salary here, it covers rent/food/bills etc and that's about it. It's livable without being supplementing, but you wont be doing much.

Just sayin' man.
I know what you mean about working. I've been a volunteer teacher's assistant for 2 weeks, run my own business and do a small amount of tutoring. I really don't want to work in retail which seems to be what everyone is doing - I am a technical minded person and if thats going to disadvantage me in interviews I probably am not the person they want. That being said I'll be tryign to get as many internships as possible and might end up working in my uncle's chemical lab.

If I get a good job I'll lose YA without a doubt however I have to weigh up if it is worth losing my health care card, youth allowance and etc for.

Its quite funny that most people from a mathematical background just have acedemia as in their resume.

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
If your aspiring to become a 'life coach' or a 'self help book writer' 'entrepreneur' you first need to find a prison cell of some sort, secondly you need to find away to open it, then once your inside you need to lock the door, then once locked safely inside, you need to take hold of the key and then throw it outside the cell.
Obviously your aspiring to be a comedian...

perhaps take your own advice?? :p

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
studentleader you forgot one more rule. "don't trust everything studentleader tells you" :p

-commerce/economics: look at doing 2 majors in business, and 1 language if that is what you want to do. it is shorter than doing commerce/arts which is 5 years, as opposed to this 4 year degree.
- economics is not all about economic theory. you may want to do econometrics or financial econometrics. however, if you do choose economics as a major, you are forced to do some econometrics anyway, and the math required that studentleader suggested.
-do a double degree if you want. not everyone wants to do honours or masters. make your own decision. double degrees are not silly (you can determine this for yourself).
- economics is a lot about welfare and equality blah blah blah. it is not purely theoretical. from what i remember, studentleader is class of 08 and has thus just entered into uni with a first year background. higher level economics requires one to apply theory into practice and forces you to study actual companies. e.g. analysing a company based on economic theory (and thus working out what theory will work and what doesn't)
- study management or marketing if you want. however, i would strongly recommend that you join them with a stronger major as they might be deemed in a large sense, complementary. e.g. doing international business with management is deadly...

Good luck!
So in other words, be like me?:hammer:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Apart from Mandarin all other languages are pretty useless.

Being from corporate I can tell you every place I've been to, you'll find Mandarin useful. People from South America or whatever other new developing countries all can speak English if they're dealing with you on a corporate level. Because their country is too crap so there's no point retaining cultural identity. Just succumb to American power. All developed countries can speak English too - they've already lost any relevance in the world.

No the CEO of PetroChina (largest company in the world), Shenhua (top 10 co in the world), Baosteel (top 10 in the world) don't speak English.

As the Financial Review said yesterday, Obama openly only sees the viability of a G4 these days (US, China, India and Russia). But deep down it's just G2 that counts (US and China). Why bother including other countries.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Apart from Mandarin all other languages are pretty useless.
What about European languages? I have heard that German/French/Italian are the best for a business minded person (probably apart from Mandarin.)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
As the Financial Review said yesterday, Obama openly only sees the viability of a G4 these days (US, China, India and Russia). But deep down it's just G2 that counts (US and China). Why bother including other countries.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH RUSSIA?!

What the fuck is wrong with Obama? Why ruin a potentially good idea with inability to face reality?
And what about the EU? Last I checked their GDP was only just slightly less than the US and they had a larger population. They're a sight richer than both India AND Russia combined.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH RUSSIA?!

What the fuck is wrong with Obama? Why ruin a potentially good idea with inability to face reality?
And what about the EU? Last I checked their GDP was only just slightly less than the US and they had a larger population. They're a sight richer than both India AND Russia combined.
Its funny that everyone ignores Europe - they have a very large GDP.

I love the fact that 25% of Russia's GDP is owned by 4 people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)