Comm/Law (1 Viewer)

Anonym0us

HSC
Was wondering if I would be able to complete both courses in different uni, for eg. considering doing law at uts and commerce at usyd. Is this possible ?
AND... can any1 confirm if there are definitely bonus points available for comm/law at unsw ?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
bonus points at UNSW for EAS and elite athletes

and I don't think going to 2 unis is possible

izzy88

HSC
Pretty sure universities don't let you enrol at two.

From a practical standpoint it would be almost impossible - in a combined degree your law units in the first three years count as electives towards commerce degree , which is why it takes 5 yrs rather than 6. They won't let you count law units at USYD towards commerce degree at uts, so ostensibly if you only take a normal full time load (in total) it will still take 6 yrs - you might as well do a commerce undergrad and jd postgrad. Also unless you want to overload you would have to enrol part time in each degree at the respective Unis (if they let you). The third problem would be time tabling - there aren't necessarily multiple streams of subjects at each Uni so whilst at USYD if you were doing combined they would probably make sure commerce first yr subjects and law first subjects not clash, you couldn't assume the same for different Unis.

It's way too difficult - look at other options for combined degrees (at the one Uni) or think about doing JD postgrad (jd is LLB equivalent).

Sorry I don't know about bonus points.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You can't be attending 2 uni's at the same time, just pick uts and transfer to usyd if you dont make it the first time, if you really want to go there.

Anonym0us

HSC
Pretty sure universities don't let you enrol at two.

From a practical standpoint it would be almost impossible - in a combined degree your law units in the first three years count as electives towards commerce degree , which is why it takes 5 yrs rather than 6. They won't let you count law units at USYD towards commerce degree at uts, so ostensibly if you only take a normal full time load (in total) it will still take 6 yrs - you might as well do a commerce undergrad and jd postgrad. Also unless you want to overload you would have to enrol part time in each degree at the respective Unis (if they let you). The third problem would be time tabling - there aren't necessarily multiple streams of subjects at each Uni so whilst at USYD if you were doing combined they would probably make sure commerce first yr subjects and law first subjects not clash, you couldn't assume the same for different Unis.

It's way too difficult - look at other options for combined degrees (at the one Uni) or think about doing JD postgrad (jd is LLB equivalent).

Sorry I don't know about bonus points.
what is JD ?

Anonym0us

HSC
You can't be attending 2 uni's at the same time, just pick uts and transfer to usyd if you dont make it the first time, if you really want to go there.
I was talking to my school careers adviser and apparently its hard to transfer, she told me the best thing was to do a sub at usyd and then (the year aftr) change courses.
I was thinking of doing comm at usyd and then maybe doing law as well the year after, would this be possible ?

D94

HSC
N/A
what is JD ?
Juris Doctor. It's a postgraduate equivalent of the LLB (although other states and countries may be different).

I was talking to my school careers adviser and apparently its hard to transfer, she told me the best thing was to do a sub at usyd and then (the year aftr) change courses.
I was thinking of doing comm at usyd and then maybe doing law as well the year after, would this be possible ?
You'll definitely need an ATAR in the order of 97+, although you'd most likely be competing with those who got 99.xx but were just under the cutoff, and as well as a D average.

izzy88

HSC
You can try to transfer but as D94 said, it's still quite competitive - recommend atar over 97 and D average. You may need higher than that though, just depends on the competition.

However combined law isn't the only way to do law. You can do an undergrad degree in whatever you want, then apply the Juris Doctor post grad. The JD takes 3 years, so it's only one more year all up for both degrees than it is doing a 5 yr combined degree. There is also no difference in how employers treat JD students to combined law students - you have the same degree in essence (the only real difference in my opinion is the name). You can do the JD at many uni's now including USYD, unsw etc You should look into it if you really want to do law (if you don't get into combined or can't transfer) :) there are lots of options out there to study law.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
If it is possible, though I highly doubt. The workload would be too arduous, two full-time courses, and not to mention the readings...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)