Combined Degree?? (1 Viewer)

sickwithlove

Queen Beathen
HSC
I'm in Year 12 at the mo and wonderin if ne1 can tell me if its possible to do a combined degree of Economics and communications. I know there's law/communications but just wonderin bout econ. thanks guys!

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
After having a quick look at the Undergraduate's Handbook I'd say it's not possible, but I could be very wrong.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
If there is:

Economics/combined; or
Communications/combined

then probably.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
Generic Combined Degree Programs

As well as named combinations of awards described on this website, you may also apply to study Arts, Business, Commerce, Engineering, Mathematics, Music, Finance, Social Science or Science programs, in combination with any other named University of Newcastle award program. The exceptions to the Generic Combined Degree Programs include the Bachelor of Medicine and the Bachelor of Laws and a number of the full-time prescribed degree programs where there is no opportunity to combine another degree program.

A combined degree program is unlikely to enable you to graduate in the minimum time for completion of either of the two programs concerned. Depending on the programs to be combined and the courses selected, you can expect to take an additional two, three or four semesters to satisfy the requirements of both awards.

Career opportunities
The completion of a combined degree vastly improves career prospects with graduates able to pursue employment in fields from both program areas.

Generic degree program examples
To be eligible for consideration for admission to one of these generic combined degree programs, you must achieve a UAI of at least 90.00, without the addition of extra points under the Rural and Regional Preference Scheme. You must also meet any of the additional selection criteria and the UAI cutoff required for admission to the program you are seeking to combine with the general award. For details of such criteria, refer to the web page for that program.

The following generic combined degrees are available:

Bachelor of Arts/Combined (Callaghan)
Bachelor of Arts/Combined (Ourimbah)
Bachelor of Business/Combined
Bachelor of Commerce/Combined
Bachelor of Engineering/Combined
Bachelor of Finance/Combined
Bachelor of Information Technology/Combined
Bachelor of Mathematics/Combined
Bachelor of Music/Combined
Bachelor of Science/Combined (Callaghan)
Bachelor of Science/Combined (Ourimbah)
Bachelor of Social Science/Combined (Callaghan)
Bachelor of Social Science/Combined (Ourimbah)
Unfortunately they aren't listed

lauren_carter27

Colossal Member
HSC
why I want to punch newcastle uni in the face

So pissed off. Sorry to dampen your spirits but in 2005 they're cutting generic combined degrees. You can't combine communication with anything. So shithouse. I wanted to do business/communication but life sux and so do they. Oh and arts/commerce is cut too. Pretty much everything is cut.
What the fcuk do I pick now? :mad:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
BSc!!! screw combined degrees, become a scientist!!

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
just do communication, its way easy and i can sell you my notes for outrageous prices

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
yer i did a similar thing with politics electives

you're only allowed roughly one per semester, if that.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
um.. said:
yer i did a similar thing with politics electives

you're only allowed roughly one per semester, if that.
That would depend if you wanted to do a single or a double major though. If you only did one major, then you could take quite a few electives:).

twisted_sista00

OMG! custom status!
HSC
yeah its crap they axed most of the generic combined degrees....theres a heap of my friends who wanted to do communications combined with business but now they cant....its shit....spose theyll hav to do it the long way...

sickwithlove

Queen Beathen
HSC
if you do a full communications degree and wanted to do business or eco as well after u finished the first one, would u have to do the whole 3-4 yr course or do u get some credits from the 1st degree?

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
im pretty sure you could use some of those credit points, yeah. the course co-ordinator for communication studies is michael meanie, ring him

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Yeah, you should get credit for all the common subjects between the two degrees:).

kate9032

Luke-warm Member
HSC
Hey Hipstar Jess.. You seem to be liking your BSc at newi, what are you doing. Im looking at that for next year but im not sure if Newcastle has the best facilities or if moving to Syd would be better. Newcastle has a bad rep for employment and choice. Any advice?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
im loving it!!
im doing bio, psych, geog and philosophy..
the teaching program and everything else is really good..the facilities are good, the academics tend to be pretty helpful and ive learnt lots
+ there is a lot of flexibility in the program, so long as you have 60 science units at 1000 level (first year), you can choose courses from pretty much any other program
as for the employment opportunities...no matter where you do your BSc, its pretty useless without at least (Hons) after it
also check out http://www.newcastle.edu.au/faculty/science-it/index.html
http://ccdb.newcastle.edu.au/courseinfo/displayprogram.cfm?docid=125&FOS=12&UGPG=13
also, the BSc program coordinator is kate hartig, ggkvh@alinga.newcastle.edu.au

kate9032

Luke-warm Member
HSC
Hey thanks heaps for that, really appreciate your advice..will try contacting the co-ordinator but you definatly recomend honours? Wow that will take some extreme effort! Good luck!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Most jobs that you would wish to enter after a BSc require you to have Hons.
i dunno how difficult it would be, most science subjects require you to have a C average in 4 third yr subjects (although this can fluctuate, esp with psych)

sooty_sweep_soo

B/Communications

ah, you kids are crazy. the communications degree is all over the shop. so are the courses, the compulsory ones. but let me know if you need any textbooks :) i feel the course will be essentially useless unless combined with something... being 6 weeks from graduation, im kicking myself, because i could have done so easily. B/Comn has turned into the generic Arts or Business degree, which people do because people can't decide what to do in year 12 and think it will be a bludge... its dissapointing, though those people usually drop out... good luck with your HSC etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)