combined commerce- help! (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i live wayyy out west near penrith/hawkesbury, and next year i was thinking about doing B Com/B Sc at usyd.

only problem is, it takes nearly 1.5 hours to get there by train, and another 1.5 hours to get back from where i live :S

so i was wondering

1. what is the workload like for a combined commerce degree
2. what is the timetable like
3. how many hours on campus per week
4. how many days on campus per week

pleaaase help me, im so confused about next year! thanks

also, would somebody please be able to provide me with some examples of careers one could undertake for each major in commerce, and average wages? thnks

oh and please no comments saying "go to UNSW, its better" because that uni is even harder for me to get to with public transport than USYD and i havent reached the ATAR cut off, thanks :)

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Meilz, out of curiosity, why did you decide to do a combined commerce/science instead of a plain commerce degree? Do you plan to major in science? More options?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
to be honest, its because i have no idea what career path i want to take in the future. i was tossing up between B science, and B commerce, so i want to do a combined one and get both. plus i like science, but a science degree on its own is no real guarantee of a job. and if i did a commerce degree on its own, id probably go mental due to boredom.

for science, i was thinking of majoring in psych, because it seems interesting but now im not so sure.

but yeah if you could answer my four questions in the OP thatd be great :)

Last edited:

Monsterman

HSC
I'm not sure if you know this and I think it would apply for Usyd ..
If you choose a combined you only get to major in one area like accounting, finance, actuary.. compared with a full degree which allows you to choose two.. same for science..

career choices are obviously dependent on what you decide to major in.. accounting.. accountant.. finance.. financial planner.. banker..etc.. look in the uac book..

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
so does this mean that if i do B Com/B Sc, i can only pick one major (eg. finance) and no major for science?

or does it mean i can only pick one major for the commerce component (eg. finance) and one major for the science component (eg. pharmacology)?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
so i was wondering

bump!!!!!

jenecis

HSC
1. Tbh, commerce is pretty easy (well at least for me atm), so I wouldn't be too fussed about it. Also, this question is ambiguous - it depends on what you want to combine commerce with? Engineering - would be hard. Law - lots of readings.

2. Straight Commerce is 12 hours of lectures/tutorials per week. Probably be a bit more if you do a combined degree. Usyd timetable is automated, UNSW is self-chosen, so it all depends on a computer or you.

3. Please see above.

4. Depends on your timetable. E.g. Might be condensed into 2 days, or spread over 5 with e.g. a 1hr tutorial on Friday (which would suck).

oly1991

HSC
oh and please no comments saying "go to UNSW, its better" because that uni is even harder for me to get to with public transport than USYD and i havent reached the ATAR cut off, thanks :)
I'm not going to tell you to go to UNSW. But, you probably actually did make the cut-off. UNSW offers the HSC plus program. This program gives you bonus points for subjects that you got a band 5 or 6 in, that are relevant to the course you will be studying at Uni. Although I understand that travelling would be a big issue for you.

Just for you to consider...

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Tbh, commerce is pretty easy (well at least for me atm), so I wouldn't be too fussed about it. Also, this question is ambiguous - it depends on what you want to combine commerce with? Engineering - would be hard. Law - lots of readings.

2. Straight Commerce is 12 hours of lectures/tutorials per week. Probably be a bit more if you do a combined degree. Usyd timetable is automated, UNSW is self-chosen, so it all depends on a computer or you.

3. Please see above.

4. Depends on your timetable. E.g. Might be condensed into 2 days, or spread over 5 with e.g. a 1hr tutorial on Friday (which would suck).

how about if i combined it with B science?

Simo91

HSC
You would have to get atleast 1 bonus point at UNSW with a 95 atar. I got 2 bonus points for band 5 adv. english, although I know you might not want to go there due to travel. I'll be coming from the same area as you would though and I understand it's quite a trek.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)